Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki KLX 250

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikermike59
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:36 - 25 Jan 2011    Post subject: Kawasaki KLX 250 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have found a 1997 Kawasaki KLX250 That I like the look of.
Looks in good condition for its age has plenty of service history with it.
And is very local to me.

Are these bike any good? Only really want it for green laning as I have a CBr600 for the road.
I have a limited budget of £1000 so there is probably not much to choose from.
I have also been looking at DR350s and Xt350s.
Any advice would be great!

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 25 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been off road before? If not, get an electric start bike as you will wear yourself out kickstarting it after you have fallen off. The one thing I dislike about the xr is the lack of electric start!

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 26 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a KLR (not, X) and every time I rode it something fell off. the X will be a better bike to ride as it has an mx focused chassis, but I suspect bits will still fall off it regularly...

but for your budget, it is a reasonable choice! Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:50 - 26 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki KLX 250 Reply with quote

I've seen the DRZ400 go for not much over your budget.
The KLX250 will be a better off-road bike because it's lighter.
But the DRZ will be better on the road and may be a bit easier to ride (less gear changes). It does also have electric start.

A well set up 4 stroke 250 shouldn't be hard to start at all, but a lot aren't well set up!

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 29 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
I had a KLR (not, X) and every time I rode it something fell off. the X will be a better bike to ride as it has an mx focused chassis, but I suspect bits will still fall off it regularly...

My KLX is one of the most robust bikes that I have ever owned. I don't get the comments about bits falling off Confused

bikermike59
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:21 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki KLX 250 Reply with quote

G wrote:
But the DRZ will be better on the road and may be a bit easier to ride (less gear changes). It does also have electric start.

A well set up 4 stroke 250 shouldn't be hard to start at all, but a lot aren't well set up!

I used to have a DRZ but it was very tall in the saddle and heavy!

I only want the bike for greenlaning and maybe a few trips up to the Four marks MX track Very Happy
I have a CBr600 for road riding Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikermike59
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:22 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki KLX 250 Reply with quote

G wrote:

I used to have a DRZ but it was very tall in the saddle and heavy!

I only want the bike for greenlaning and maybe a few trips up to the Four marks MX track Very Happy
I have a CBr600 for road riding Mr. Green

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:16 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki KLX 250 Reply with quote

Most dirt bikes are pretty tall. You need lots of ground clerance - and generally still want to be able to have the option of gripping the seat/tank with your knees - taller riders will sometime actually get extra-tall seats to help with this!

'Trail' bikes are often a bit shorter, but a bike intended for enduro (and motocross) purposes is likely to be pretty high whatever.

Was it the E or S DRZ you had? The E is both lighter and bit perkier too.

bikermike59
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:38 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki KLX 250 Reply with quote

G wrote:
Most dirt bikes are pretty tall. You need lots of ground clerance - and generally still want to be able to have the option of gripping the seat/tank with your knees - taller riders will sometime actually get extra-tall seats to help with this!

'Trail' bikes are often a bit shorter, but a bike intended for enduro (and motocross) purposes is likely to be pretty high whatever.

Was it the E or S DRZ you had? The E is both lighter and bit perkier too.

It was a DS heavy old lump but the electric start was handy!

There is a guy on this forum who has a 1999 XR250 for sale for £1100
are they good bikes?and is that a good price?
I know they are kick start only but its only a 250!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:47 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki KLX 250 Reply with quote

The XRs are decent bikes.
I'd say they are a little shorter possibly - or a little squidgier at least.

A lot of people do find them wanting - though of course it's more wanting for 'ease' than for outright speed - as they can be made to hustle decently if you put the effort in.

Not too up on prices. No doubt command a bit more because "it's a honda"; seen them go for less, but for mid not late 90s bikes.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '99 xr250 and I can keep up with bigger bikes on the road and off of it, plus the maintainance stuff is spread out pretty far.

BigTobyD
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:12 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 97 going for a grand, just had brakes rebuilt, chain, sprockets, rear tyre, fork seals and full service. Depending on the condition £1100 could be ok money but if it's not you could end up spending a few hundred on top getting it sorted

bikermike59
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:55 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that they can be difficult to start especially when they get hot is this true?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:02 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be an issue with any 4 stroke, especially if you dump it upside down. Getting a decently setup carb etc generally sorts it, but a lot of people just fight the kickstarter instead.

BigTobyD
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:05 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem when it's hot - occasionally flood it when it's cold by using choke when I shouldn't have done, but that's rider error. It has a decompression lever anyway so pull that it, kick it over a few times, then one kick and it's off.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikermike59 wrote:
I have heard that they can be difficult to start especially when they get hot is this true?

Not really, mine can be difficult to start when it gets hot and I have had a spill so its been lying on its side. I need to get it set up properly as they are usually better than mine is right now.

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:32 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can find an electric start XR!

I got a bargain with mine. XR250 with 6000km. It came with no MOT or Tax but went straight through with no trouble.

I got this for a bargain price of £770 Very Happy

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Been off road before? If not, get an electric start bike as you will wear yourself out kickstarting it after you have fallen off. The one thing I dislike about the xr is the lack of electric start!

My right leg is more muscular than my left Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikermike59
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:21 - 31 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pretty much decided to go for the XR250 for £1100 delivered and he lives in Chester about 235 miles away!!

It looks in good condition and has only 7000km on it.

he's just put on a new chain and sprockets,new front tyre,oil and filter and a new spark plug.

Just waiting for a few more pic of it before I commit to buying it as I wont even see it till it gets here but the guy seems genuine enough.

And I have a pretty good knowledge of what faults to look for

BigTobyD
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:38 - 31 Jan 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good bike for reasonable money, fingers crossed it's as good as it seems, they can be a lot of fun off road, my mate Stewie swears by my one but I'm more of a 2T boy these days Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1