Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Exhaust re-chrome, spray, sand and polish?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 22 Feb 2011    Post subject: Exhaust re-chrome, spray, sand and polish? Reply with quote

Well I haven't got any photos as they fucking thing is in the garage but I got it back last night and it broke again so back in it goes and im gonna screw the fuckers over for every penny! Middle Finger

As for the exhaust, it was put on when the bike was rebuilt and polished thoroughly to prevent rusting as I wasnt sure if it was stainless or not. Rode it through the snow and salt and then cleaned it after like 3 weeks of riding (thats all Ive had since like 12th December Evil or Very Mad) and it had this crust on it that wouldn't come off. Its just really on the front of the exhaust where it joins the engine and pretty much the whole expansion chamber until where it starts going back up the bike. Now I thought it was just sort of covering the metal and wasnt doing any harm and it has formed a layer but now it seems to have rusted. I peeled a flake of earlier (accidentaly) and now it seems bad. Where it joins on the cylinder it looks reeeaaalllllyyyy bad.

I rung up about a month ago to see how much it was to get it rechromed and they said anywhere from £50-£300 depending on what the exhaust was like. Never did take it to get it quoted so I wondered how much you lot thought it would cost?

My other options are to clean it up and spray it in VHT paint but I dont want it all black as it looks very bland. If I did this, could I get it rechromed later on and just have this as a temporary fix to stop it getting any worse?

Or to sand the rust off to bare metal and get some coating for it and keep it polished? But that seems a bad idea, scrap that Laughing

What you all think?

Thanks Thumbs Up

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 22 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really sure its worth chroming? You could probably buy a full stainless for less than £100.

Just depends what metal it is atm, do you know?. If its Mild Steel, the best thing is just to VHT it, but if its another metal then their are other ways of doing stuff.

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 23 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Are you really sure its worth chroming? You could probably buy a full stainless for less than £100.

Just depends what metal it is atm, do you know?. If its Mild Steel, the best thing is just to VHT it, but if its another metal then their are other ways of doing stuff.

On the page that I bought it from there are 4 of the same exhaust 2 with carbon cans, 2 with alloy cans, one for older models one for newer. And at the bottom it has VHT paint for 'mild steel' exhaust systems?

Guessing its mild steel.

And mine was £160...

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 23 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take it off and paint it.

You can get silver VHT paint so it won't look as horrible as a black one!

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 23 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a magnet to it, if it sticks hard it's mild steel, if it doesn't or just faintly then it'll be stainless.
Most chroming places refuse to touch exhausts because the inside deposits contaminate their plating bath contents making them unuseable for further use afterwards. Those that do will charge a fair bit to chemically clean them out beforehand that along with the actual chroming is where you get the high prices from. Unless it's an irreplaceable exhaust that has to be redone for originality it's not really worth it.

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 23 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzer wrote:
Put a magnet to it, if it sticks hard it's mild steel, if it doesn't or just faintly then it'll be stainless.
Most chroming places refuse to touch exhausts because the inside deposits contaminate their plating bath contents making them unuseable for further use afterwards. Those that do will charge a fair bit to chemically clean them out beforehand that along with the actual chroming is where you get the high prices from. Unless it's an irreplaceable exhaust that has to be redone for originality it's not really worth it.

This ^^

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 23 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.

I did buy some stuff to clean the inside of the exhaust out as they said that to me when I phoned up.

Might look into some silver VHT paint then. Does it look shit? And will you have to prime it or what?

EDIT: I used some on my brakes and it is matte so unless I could find some glossy stuff anywhere then it looks like ill have to do it black...

Fucking shit as I want it to look like a normal exhaust but Im scared how thin it is at the moment.

Also will I be able to chrome ontop of this VHT stuff?

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:31 - 23 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the best thing to do, is take the exhaust off if possible. Remove any rust or anything so your down the bare metal. Loads of tricks for removing rust.

Then coat in some decent VHT pain. Do this every 6 months or so and the exhaust will probably outlive the bike. Might not though.

PJ1 is meant to be very good stuff. Haven't used it personally. Its about £8 a tin and give a few coats to your exhaust.

No you cant chrome over VHT pain. You can only chrome over metal!

In my opinion I like Stainless Gold pipes. Or pipes that are tanned. The Fazers ones are going a lovely gold'y colour which looks lovely!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1