Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noob project yamaha 125 clutch removal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

roadyz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:04 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Noob project yamaha 125 clutch removal Reply with quote

Hey guys first post. i was wondering if any of you had ever stripped on of these down, according to the haynes book you have to remove the water pump cover and throttle assembly to get at it., there is one perticular screw that i cannot get out due to the exhaust running right past it, the pipe that goes into the water pump is connected to it by a metal flange welded onto it and a screw threw it. im not even sure if i should be taking this off, help

the screw is impossible to get out, i have even tried a socket with a screw bit but casnnot get enough purchase. the screw in question is arrowed on this stock photo. thanks
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1237.snc4/156906_163935023649601_100000993124765_306605_4619646_n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be worth whipping the exhaust off to get better access to the bolt head.

Soak it in some penetrating oil (or wd40 if you haven't got any) and try again. A well fitting bit is crucial Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

roadyz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:42 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks, i will give the wd 40 a try, i just dont understand how to remove the water pump,i was thinking that if i leave said screw in place i could disconnect the coolant pipe from the left side of the bike and pull the full pump cover witht the pipe still attached.

also could you recommend a good cheap online retailer for a set of m6 bolts ?

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 22:47 - 19 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks alot like a dt125 engine, dont recognise the clutch cover tho. The screw you point out looks alot like an m6 hex bolt to me? And if thats the case should come out easy enough with a "wobble" ended allen key, that bolt will only be tourqued to about 5-10nm so should come out easily, just make sure you replace the o-ring on the pipe.

roadyz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:35 - 20 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
Looks alot like a dt125 engine,
It is a dt125 engine, however this is a stock photo i found on the net, the hx bolt you refer to is 100% a screw with philips head on it. if it was a hex bolt it would be ideal

because it is a screw i cannot get the purchase on it.

how easy is it to remove the exhaust ?

thanx m8

Mr Krispy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 20 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a DTR you are working on then removing the exhaust is probably the best option ( its easy enough, 6 bolts + side panel).
But the pipe can be removed with the exhaust in place if you have a ratchet and a phillips screwdriver bit with a socket( 8mm work best).
https://www.lasertools.co.uk/items/small/2180.jpg

Don't miss the other screw holding the pipe at the other side of the engine, it can be easily missed due to the fact its under the radiator pipe which connects to the metal pipe you are trying to remove. I have and it snapped the bracket off and put a hole in the pipe in question Embarassed

The pipe will probably need levering out of the water pump housing as they are usually tight.

HTH

adam coomber
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 20 Dec 2010    Post subject: clucth cover Reply with quote

hello mate this is a very easy fix to do i have a dtr and i had to remove all of this to change the clutch cover gasket.
all you need to do is take the exuast off remove to afending screw and the one on the other end and this pipe will come out it will be alittle stiff as there is a rubber o ring in it to seal it be carefull not to damage it i had to replace mine. once you have done that just remove oil pump and kickstart then undo all the screws and your clucth cover will come off . hope this is some use to you mate and good luck ...

roadyz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:13 - 30 Jan 2011    Post subject: *upfate* Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for the advice removing the exhaust worked great.

On inspection the clutch plates seemed very loose, and with the clutch engaged were very easy to turn. looking at the clutch plates there seems to be very little tread on them also they are extremely oily is it is a wet clutch right ?

i am going to order up some new clutch plates, etc to rebuild the clutch.

what im not sure of is the correct configuration of these friction plates/plain plate, etc etc, along with the plates there was a smaller ring that on its profile looked like a concertina
i am using a haynes manual and tbh the expanded diagram is a bit crap

any advice about the rebuilding of the clutch would be welcomed

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs253.snc6/180173_174599085916528_100000993124765_368108_5909507_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs013.snc6/166305_174599219249848_100000993124765_368109_2332268_n.jpg

roadyz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:12 - 06 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got any ideas on the order of the plates?

Avora
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:24 - 06 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take note when you take the old ones out, stack them up and write it down if you need to.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1