Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

clip ons to handle bars

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

bagger
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:15 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: clip ons to handle bars Reply with quote

hi due to having a bad wrist i want to change the riding position on the sv650s(id rather just get a new bike ,but thats not going to happen)
anyway i was thinking of putting bars on instead of the clip ons and was wondering if i could drill the top yoke and fit handle bar clamps then just re route/replace cables?
would this be ok as i dont want to drill holes in the bike if its going to make it unsafe?
cheers

fiery tupp
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:50 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know about drilling them being safe ? someone here should , no doubt . What about a top yoke conversion .

If you can get them for the 600 or if these are same fit ? though seem expensive , I think i'd be tempted to drill if it is feasible Neutral

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-SV-S-SV1000-TOP-YOKE-BAR-CONVERSION-/360100151325

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what i did.

Got a clamp off a KTM 250 EXC and drilled the yoke to fit.

From
https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/37579_1428599448737_1645368025_970732_1799554_n.jpg

to
https://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180514_1679886290751_1645368025_1479333_8075665_n.jpg

Thumbs Up

Dunc

I was MrDunkable in a previous life. Then questioned why I was the one being dunked...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fiery tupp
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:07 - 16 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh found this Neutral
https://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1000r-tl1000s-forum/65461-considering-superbike-bar-conversion.html

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 17 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how chunky your top yoke is as to whether it's safe to drill for risers, a lot are thin with webs underneath so not really suitable even with thick washers underneath for added strength. Is the SV650 41mm forks?? if so you might be able to use a Bandit600 top yoke which are also 41mm. Be worth looking at a B6 and measuring the stanchion spacing etc to see if it will swop, hell of a lot of Suzuki stuff is interchangeable and you may be lucky.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:16 - 17 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the naked SVs have bars instead of clip-ons anyway? Could just source a top yoke and bars from one of them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:25 - 17 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it discussed on SV650 forums, and swapping for a yoke from a nekkid SV is the recommended route. See if you can find a nekkid rider who fancies trying your clip-ons.

bagger
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:25 - 17 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Don't the naked SVs have bars instead of clip-ons anyway? Could just source a top yoke and bars from one of them.

this was my first thought but they dont appear on ebay very often,plus i wanted tro do it as cheap as possible as i have some spare bars+clamps
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1