BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yz 85 on road

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

LEWINS
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Yz 85 on road Reply with quote

Well guys I want to put a yz 85 on the road but I'm so confused, I seen in a thread that the ground clearance had to be atlases 310mm and seat height at least 900mm but look at these specs
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/competition/yz85lw.aspx?view=featurestechspecs

I want a lw model and they just go to 904mm on seat height, would that be enough or would it get rejected as the sag will probably go lower than that?
Thanks

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:56 - 21 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: Yz 85 on road Reply with quote

As far as I know, sag isn't an issue.
If you need it higher, you are apparently fine to just stiffen it up; hell, replace it with a metal rod if need be Smile.

LEWINS
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:41 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I stiffen it up?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:44 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preload is a start.

Incidentally, having always fancied one, I saw a road registered KX85 on gumtree a couple of months ago. Thankfully I didn't have any cash to splash at the time.
I'd be tempted to keep at eye out and see if I could find one already done for sale first.

Oh and on the seat height - people will often just gaffa tape some extra foam on top of the original seat, which passes fine too apparently!

LEWINS
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:47 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I better off just putting a 125 on the road?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:00 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the purpose of this bike going to be?

LEWINS
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:01 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing about 5 miles a day

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 02:13 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a CG125.

Much more appropriate choice.

Ok, for my 6.2 mile town commute when I had one, I chose a 4 year old GSXR1000, but I'm guessing that won't be an option for you.

Or a push bike (at the moment I average more than that daily on a push bike and it does me just fine.)

A competition engine isn't designed for the sort of use you describe.
If the bike is left anywhere, it's asking to be stolen.

I wanted one as an ultimate light weight fun bike (supermoto wheels), for an occasional back-lane blast.

No way I'd choose one for 5 miles daily.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:53 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few of the lads on the other channel have put pit bikes on road.
You are allowed to pad the seat up to make up extra height too. Buy a cheap old seat, rip the cover off, cut a nice thick piece of foam and whack it on top. Then fit a bigger cover (Sheet of fake leather from Dunelm) over the top of it.

Few other notes to make:

Exhaust must be quiet, and not have any 'not for road use' marks on it.
Tyres must be road legal
Require a horn (Can buy one from Halfords called 'mega horn')
Require a rear facing red reflector

That is all you need to get it through an MOT.

First things first, insure it with Carole Nash (I think), they will insure you on the frame number for 30 days.
Then go get it MOT'd.
Once MOT'd, you can apply for the necessary forms to get it road registered.

Get onto a Yamaha club to apply for a certificate of newness if you are interested in an age related plate. If you don't mind having a Q-plate, don't worry about this.

You'll probably be asked to take it for an inspection. Somebody will come out, take the 2 measurements and then issue you with a registration number.
Once you've got a reg No, you can re-insure it on that rather than the frame number.

Once you have MOT and Insurance, you can apply for a TAX disc.

Just for your info, you DO require a working speedometer for the road. It doesn't come into the MOT, but it DOES come into the law.

Hope I've not missed anything. Been out on the beers tonight. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LEWINS
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:06 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it need that? As its 904mm seat height but when I sit on it, it will drop, will that matter?

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 17:32 - 22 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

They take static measurements so if its 904mm youre okay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LEWINS
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:25 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
They take static measurements so if its 904mm youre okay.

Forgive my blondness but what does that mean?

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 11:43 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

904mm is ok. Fine. Not a problem...

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 11:46 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEWINS
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:33 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:

Awesome Very Happy

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 14:37 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the current tyres are MX tyres, you'll need to change them over to road legal ones. Remember that road tyres, and MX tyres will be two different physical sizes, even if they are classed as the same size.
I get it with my SJ. It's on 31" tyres at the moment, but they measure up closer to 32".

Ben

LEWINS
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:59 - 23 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
If the current tyres are MX tyres, you'll need to change them over to road legal ones. Remember that road tyres, and MX tyres will be two different physical sizes, even if they are classed as the same size.
I get it with my SJ. It's on 31" tyres at the moment, but they measure up closer to 32".

Ben

I will put some road legal off roaders on

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 01 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
Few of the lads on the other channel have put pit bikes on road.
You are allowed to pad the seat up to make up extra height too. Buy a cheap old seat, rip the cover off, cut a nice thick piece of foam and whack it on top. Then fit a bigger cover (Sheet of fake leather from Dunelm) over the top of it.

Few other notes to make:

Exhaust must be quiet, and not have any 'not for road use' marks on it.
Tyres must be road legal
Require a horn (Can buy one from Halfords called 'mega horn')
Require a rear facing red reflector

That is all you need to get it through an MOT.

First things first, insure it with Carole Nash (I think), they will insure you on the frame number for 30 days.
Then go get it MOT'd.
Once MOT'd, you can apply for the necessary forms to get it road registered.

Get onto a Yamaha club to apply for a certificate of newness if you are interested in an age related plate. If you don't mind having a Q-plate, don't worry about this.

You'll probably be asked to take it for an inspection. Somebody will come out, take the 2 measurements and then issue you with a registration number.
Once you've got a reg No, you can re-insure it on that rather than the frame number.

Once you have MOT and Insurance, you can apply for a TAX disc.

Just for your info, you DO require a working speedometer for the road. It doesn't come into the MOT, but it DOES come into the law.

Hope I've not missed anything. Been out on the beers tonight. Laughing

Bit more to it now Binge, need to prove VAT was paid when the bike was new/imported.

https://www.thektmforum.com/showthread.php?167-Road-registering-an-off-road-bike

For tyres I managed to find a road legal 19 inch front 70/100-19 (For a KTM SX85) a Maxxis M7304 from classic enduro.

https://www.classic-enduro.co.uk/index.php?id_product=45&controller=product

Unfortunately the matching rear isn't e marked

In the end I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1