Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bleedin' tight sump plug

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:34 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Bleedin' tight sump plug Reply with quote

Tried changing my oil yesterday, but the supm plug is tighter than a nun's arse!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can free it, without rounding it off?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kentpunkster
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentle heat and put a socket on nut and give a few taps with a hammer... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:56 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

And also make VERY sure that you are turning it the right way. Very easy with sump plugs to get confused.

All the bes

Keith

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can raise the bike up a bit and use an impact driver + impact socket on the nut as that should help to move it.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:16 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sump plug should never get tight enough that you can't open it, I'm with Keith on this make sure you are going the right way.

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:39 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just got the bike, and I'm assuming it works in the same manner as all the others, lefty loosey righty tighty....

The sump plug doesn't face down like some bike's, it faces outwards on the left hand side, which makes it a little easier, but not too much.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:58 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In which case my guess would be that someone has cross threaded it, or the thread is dodgy and it is held in with strong loctite.

All the best

Keith

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:21 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, might get a new one then, even if it turns out okay a new one won't do any harm, and will make it easier in the future.

Cheers guys Thumbs Up Karma

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:25 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo wrote:
Hmmm, might get a new one then, even if it turns out okay a new one won't do any harm, and will make it easier in the future.

Cheers guys Thumbs Up Karma

The thread could be knackered in the engine which is more of a pain.

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:28 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, that would be a bit of a bummer, is it re-tapable?
what's that kit you can get with the insert? That probably made no sense....

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually probably just bloody tight. What size socket does it use?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:34 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

It's a 14mm from what I remember (I can't work in inches, too young Wink)

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:09 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo wrote:
Hmmmm, that would be a bit of a bummer, is it re-tapable?
what's that kit you can get with the insert? That probably made no sense....

I don't see why not, but there will be swarf inside the engine which is less than idea.

Just get it off and see, WD40 1/2 rachet and if needed an extender bar, it shouldn't be needed though You could also try tapping it sharply with a hammer to free it up.

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:24 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the nut directly, or tap the spanner/socket?

I'll give it another go tonight.

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:40 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the nut directly, the idea behind it is that if corrosion is holding the bolt to the thread it will loosen it a,bit if it has made no difference after a couple of taps them try something else, you could also use an extender, a bit of tube over the end of a rachet but tbh if it has been done up that tightly I'm suprised it didn't crack. The only things I have need an extender of where brake disc bolts and wheel spindles.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo wrote:
Pete. wrote:

It's a 14mm from what I remember (I can't work in inches, too young Wink)

Don't try to use inch sizes on a Honda anyway, you'll start wrecking bolts.

A good six-sided socket, short extension, breaker bar and don't be shy. Often times a steady push will round off a bolt where a good sharp heave will release it. Don't try to hammer the breaker bar. It's important to keep the socket and extension dead in line with the bolt axis by supporting the end, either with your hand or by blocking it up or axle stands etc.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterpump plyers. They are very good on rounded bolts, but wont move everything. Example:
https://www.screwfix.com/cats/A335533/Hand-Tools/Pliers-Cutters/Water-Pump-Pliers

OR use a cold chisel and hammer.
Hit it in the direction you want to turn. This should move anything. If it doesnt work, you need a bigger hammer Smile

Last edited by kramdra on 17:52 - 21 Feb 2011; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Waterpump plyers. They are very good on rounded bolts, but wont move everything. Example:
https://www.screwfix.com/cats/A335533
/Hand-Tools/Pliers-Cutters/Water-Pump-Pliers

OR use a cold chisel and hammer.
Hit it in the direction you want to turn. This should move anything. If it doesnt work, you need a bigger hammer Smile

You're not going to get a sump bolt out with 5-hole pliers if it's rounded off with a socket and bar. The cold hammer and chisel is a slightly better idea but absolutely last resort and carries a huge risk of disaster.

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:00 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
https://www.screwfix.com/cats/A335533/Hand-Tools/Pliers-Cutters/Water-Pump-Pliers

Mole grips would be better, but the best thing I have found for rounded bolts is the adjustable spring wrench I have (don't know there proper name) it grips on the bolt then as you turn it the grip gets tighter.

Aside from that the op hasn't mention anything about the bolt being rounded, just tight.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:49 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not outwith the realms of possability that someone has already stripped it or cross threaded it then put it back in with threadlock. Anything is possible on a bike of that age.

As such, some direct heat might not be a bad idea.

An air (or battery) impact wrench is an even better idea if you have access to one.

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 21 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair chance of it being already damaged if it is that tight, are there any other holes you could use to drain the oil, try warming the bike up nice and hot,
or use one of these of you can get it in anywhere
https://www.pelapumps.co.uk/
we use them at work and they are very good.
Thumbs Up
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 22 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out for a long ride, get it real hot, then use something to freeze the bolt and it should come out easy.

chris-red

PostPosted: 00:52 - 22 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitedevil wrote:
Go out for a long ride, get it real hot, then use something to freeze the bolt and it should come out easy.

If you do this don't undo it all the way, just crack it, undo it fully when it is cool. I speak from experience about letting bikes cool before messing about with them. Laughing

ClockworkJesu...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:01 - 22 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sump-plug was damned tight, too.
Got a socket on it with a nice long breaker-bar over the ratchet and just applied smooth, gentle force.

It'll go "BANG" and come off. Wink Nothing survives the breaker-bar.

Thats my two-cents, anyway.

Just remember, don't do it back up murder tight. Wink

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:05 - 22 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sump plug on Left-Hand-Side under the mag-cover, you are trying to undo the right bolt, aren't you?
But, first off get new copper compression washer, before you start, if you haven't already. If it's that tight probably squashed to heck and wont seal when you refit.
Its awkward to get at, and with limited clerance, you are probably going to foul the casing or floor to get a decent swing on a long bar.
If its tight, six sided socket, beg, borrow, steal.... double hex or wall-drive only grip on points, so you are putting more pressure on the metal. Wall drive are 'OK'. but straight six side is the best defence its an all-round close fit on the hex.
SHORT extension to get breaker past cases, and you want to have the handle pointing at rear wheel to turn anti-clockwise, lifting from the floor, to apply even force in controlled manner.
Its a light bike, so you may want to get some-one to sit on it and hold it down so you can get more purchase on it.
AND you want to support the head of the breaker so you are ONLY turning, not bending the socket & extension on the head.
Thats basic technique.
Cases are alloy, plug/bolt is steel.
This MAY not be brutal mechanics or stripped or crossed threads, could simply be that previouse owner followed advice to warm engine before draining old oil..... in which case, hot alloy case, would expand more than steel sump plug, come out easy..... small steel plug then cools more than big chunk of alloy..... oil finished coming out, owner puts plug back in.
Its loose so he does it pretty tight, THEN engine cools down, shrinking round the plug!
So, get motor good and hot, then apply controlled force.
Try impact driver, if still stiff.
If no effect..... give up.
Are you gong to do the strainer?
If so, messy, BUT, leave plug in, crack primary case off, let oil come out that side.
May be able to inspect plug from inside for damage, ans with long taper punch, lightly tap on the end to help rattle it a little loose.
Alternatively, & safer.....
ride it round to a garage with air tools, new plug & washer & small bottle of oil in pocket and ask them to loosen it off with air impact driver.... spare plug oil & washer for if they take it ALL the way out, rather than just loose!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2