Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Please Help Me Yamaha DT 125cc Engine Dies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Please Help Me Yamaha DT 125cc Engine Dies Reply with quote

Hi Folks
Can any body help me i have a Yamaha dt 125cc LC 1986 when i bought it the headgasket was blown so i mended that the bike has had a rebore in its time to but ive put it back to a straight 125cc.
Here goses it starts up fine hot or cold but when i take it out for a run and open it up it goses well then all of a sudden it dies and splutters then i pull choke out then it will start again and run ok then it will do it again so on petrol is getting through ok ive cleaned carb out so thats ok when i pull the throttle back its goses great then just dies on me it will always start again afterwards with a few kicks it ticks over ok but sometimes dies to now ive also notice a noise a tapping somewhere in the head is this normal its a tick tick tick tick and quite loud to ive tryed everything i no to try and fix this but still no joy i would be so greatfull if some one out there to give me some advice ive just got it through its mot then this happends
kind regards jay

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be running poorly due to too much fuel? have you checked that they are the correct jets in the carb?

As to the tapping noise, have you checked the valve gaps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jemdna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_I2uQkGxIykM/S_TFIeu6IyI/AAAAAAAAKtc/jFxdfqimLdg/s400/comma+epicponyz.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam_Y_93 wrote:
Could be running poorly due to too much fuel? have you checked that they are the correct jets in the carb?

As to the tapping noise, have you checked the valve gaps?

the jets are fine the right ones and for the valves i havent a clue

Avora
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:50 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 strokes dont have valves. Sounds like you've siezed it, and the piston is worn. Meaning piston slap is occuring. Happened on my damn hateful TGB. Needs to be stripped down again most likely. Shouldnt be an issue for now.

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avora wrote:
2 strokes dont have valves. Sounds like you've siezed it, and the piston is worn. Meaning piston slap is occuring. Happened on my damn hateful TGB. Needs to be stripped down again most likely. Shouldnt be an issue for now.

thanks for helping but do you no why it cut out when im riding it on pull away its great then go 300 yards then it dies

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonDT wrote:
Avora wrote:

thanks for helping but do you no why it cut out when im riding it on pull away its great then go 300 yards then it dies

what could be siezed on it then

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check if the oil pump is working as it does sound like you are siezing up then freeing off as it cools down.

Do you get smoke from the bike?

When you say you put the bike back to 125 do you mean you had the barrel resleeved or did you just put a standard sized piston in the bike?

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1 wrote:
You may want to check if the oil pump is working as it does sound like you are siezing up then freeing off as it cools down.

Do you get smoke from the bike?

When you say you put the bike back to 125 do you mean you had the barrel resleeved or did you just put a standard sized piston in the bike?

hi
i put the original piston and head back on the reason i done this was because it was running funny before and its still running the same as it was with the other head and piston the headgasket went and water got in with the oil i can not change the oil yet as someone who owned it in the past has freaded the sump nut could that be the reason why its running like this

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:17 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy a new barrel and piston/rings/bearings etc.

What colour is the spark plug?

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Did you buy a new barrel and piston/rings/bearings etc.

What colour is the spark plug?

hi
i took the head and piston and bearing out of a running engine i didnt put the running engine in the bike as it didnt match the bikes number and wont to keep bike original its not the piston and head i dont think as it started to do this on its bore kit i no there is a little water mixing with the oil as the head gasket went on the other head it was running perfect a few days ago and not been used alot headgasket has been replaced could it be the water mixing with oil the oil is a silver colour im not a1 at doing things like this
cheers jay

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:40 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being A1 and attempting this may not be a great idea Laughing

Did you swap the carb over too?
Being that the older one was bored out... they probably would have changed the jetting.
I'd try the other carb on there... what about the exhaust.. are they the same.

It matters far more so on a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke Thumbs Up

Spark plug colour??

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="##Paddy##"]Not being A1 and attempting this may not be a great idea Laughing

Did you swap the carb over too?
Being that the older one was bored out... they probably would have changed the jetting.
I'd try the other carb on there... what about the exhaust.. are they the same.

It matters far more so on a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke Thumbs Up

Spark plug colour??[/quote
this has happend on both heads so i dont think it could be the carb as it wouldnt of done the same thing on the bore kit head the spark plug is a bit black i wish i didnt take this on now but a lovely bike

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a little fuel in the air box to is this normal

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avora wrote:

Embarassed Didn't think of it being a 2t Embarassed

Avora
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:12 - 16 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've had a partial sieze, either from lack of oil, or riding hard from cold, then the piston will have worn away quickly, the rings maybe still sealing enough to start up again. If thats whats happened then you need to strip it down. I assume that you mean the engine doesnt bog down due to carb issues. Would look at that first. But easiest option which as a 2 stroke owner is check the colour of the plug. Never assume anything I suppose with a 2T because an air leak can cause a big problem and a simple spark plug can do very odd things.

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avora wrote:
If you've had a partial sieze, either from lack of oil, or riding hard from cold, then the piston will have worn away quickly, the rings maybe still sealing enough to start up again. If thats whats happened then you need to strip it down. I assume that you mean the engine doesnt bog down due to carb issues. Would look at that first. But easiest option which as a 2 stroke owner is check the colour of the plug. Never assume anything I suppose with a 2T because an air leak can cause a big problem and a simple spark plug can do very odd things.

hi ive bought new spark plug so i think thats ok cleaned carb checked to see if any air leaks there isnt none but like i say the head gasket did go and the oil looks silver colour i will try my best to get sump nut of tomorow to change oil could it be the problem that the water has mixed with the oil its bugging me so much i love the bike spent quite a bit of money on it and now this happends thats the fun of having bike ha we will get there i hope carb is fine

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have water in your oil then your water pump seal has gone or the crankcase has filled with water and leaked through a bad crankshaft seal.

The gearbox and main crankcases are seperate on a two stroke so head gasket failure won't directly emulsify oil like in a four stroke.

If the crankseals are bad that can cause running issues since the engine looses initial/crankcase compresion and can even effect the reed valve operation.

you can pop your barrel back off and fill the crankcase with petrol or light oil and see if the level drops rapidly, if it does then you have bad crank seals or a bad main crankcase gasket(gasket is highly unlikely unless fitted incorrectly)

If your are worried about taking of the sump plug you can take off the clutch cover and empty it out by leaning the bike over, that would give you a chance to check the waterpump and gears too

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1 wrote:
If you have water in your oil then your water pump seal has gone or the crankcase has filled with water and leaked through a bad crankshaft seal.

The gearbox and main crankcases are seperate on a two stroke so head gasket failure won't directly emulsify oil like in a four stroke.

If the crankseals are bad that can cause running issues since the engine looses initial/crankcase compresion and can even effect the reed valve operation.

you can pop your barrel back off and fill the crankcase with petrol or light oil and see if the level drops rapidly, if it does then you have bad crank seals or a bad main crankcase gasket(gasket is highly unlikely unless fitted incorrectly)

If your are worried about taking of the sump plug you can take off the clutch cover and empty it out by leaning the bike over, that would give you a chance to check the waterpump and gears too

hi and thank you
if i take the cluch cover of what have i got to expect is this a hard job i got my son to help me to but he said it could be a bad way of doing this in case things drop out so on i dont no if to just throw it in to a garage then its going to cost loads insnt it dame bikes ha is it a doggey job by doing it that way any advice on how to do this with out cluch so on falling out on me as like ive said im new to this and everyones got to lern but wish it wasnt me ha thanks all for helping me
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

jasonDT
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
get a haynes manual,will help you alot Thumbs Up

ive got one but saying nothing what im going through with this bike

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 02:00 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonDT wrote:
rob yarrr wrote:
get a haynes manual,will help you alot Thumbs Up

ive got one but saying nothing what im going through with this bike

well... start from the beginning.
Forget your current problem.

Strip it down and rebuild it with new seals and bearings from the ground up Thumbs Up

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

you shouldn't get anything just falling out to be honest , but in any case you have a manual and would be abled to identify anything that did easily enough.

Avora
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:16 - 17 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil wont affect the running. To be honest, it shouldnt effect it like it is even if theres an air leak. Sounds like a strip it and rebuild job. In other words, buy another engine, and slot that in for easy up and running. Thinking cant think of anything obviously wrong apart from the piston is slapping the cylinder. You might be lucky if you take the top end off. Have a looky see. Its the only way... Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1