Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kevlar Jeans - My comparison review - Sartso Vs Draggin

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Kevlar Jeans - My comparison review - Sartso Vs Draggin Reply with quote

Right,

Firstly, Big_Ham, Chris, would you be a gentle bear and find all my review vids and stick em onto your show and tell product review thread.

Now for the fun stuff.

St Paddy's day was my birthday and I got pretty trolleyed after getting home from work with mates. That's where the problem started. It's pretty bad when you know payday is coming up and you have a clean credit card with nothing against it!

So I went shopping... but as a result, I can give you a comparison of Old Vs New

Again, my reviews WILL get a lot of stick from people who normally think:
"you're stupid for spending silly money on this that or the other" or "tart"... so thank you Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up , it only enhances my smugness!

The subject I'm going to talk about is KEVLAR JEANS

So why bother with kevlar jeans?

First and foremost, protection. Aramid to give it its proper name is highly abrasion resistant, so if you fall on your arse and happen to be sliding down the road, it'll be there to save a skin graft. I remember how much 20mph spills on the scooter felt on normal jeans! 2-5 seconds were all it took for my skin to graze away.

Secondly if you like riding in jeans on a sportsbike, I've gone through SO many guch rips on some expensive pairs of jeans to think there must be a better option.

Thirdly, you often want to arrive at your destination not looking like dayglo derek or the gimp from next door and want to have an air of inconspicuousness to you.

If you're a stunter, then great, they'll be right up your street!

Click HERE IF you want to see the in-depth video review and here me chat like a stoner

So, I give you my two jeans

Left is SARTSO KILLERS, Right is DRAGGIN BIKER

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/199571_10150176667735712_500990711_8364784_6480251_n.jpg

https://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/199476_10150176670025712_500990711_8364801_7883918_n.jpg

https://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196519_10150176665240712_500990711_8364766_1483256_n.jpg

Both I purchased for approximately £130.
I've had the Sartsos for approximately a weekend now - but have already seen 400 miles of use. I've had the Draggins for 9 months, approximately 3000 miles on them.

The retailer (Onyerbike/Ducati Aylesbury) was very helpful in getting me sized and kitted up with the jeans and there was plenty of choice...Furygan, Draggin, Sartso. It's interesting how they stopped stocking red route (were they not a Frank Thomas brand?). They also said that the guy who makes Sartso is related to the folk who established Draggin. Suffice to say, at the end, after sitting on my bike with the rest of my kit on, the Sartsos were the ones to go for.

I'll try to summarise what I have said in the video but a picture tells a thousand words and from the images, you can see how different the fit is.

Draggin

The Draggin is a traditional low rise cut. This is where the problem is for me. The belt sits right on my waist and if you lean forward, unless you're wearing another t-shirt that's tucked in, the wind can go down your back.

Secondly, the flaring at the hems is not large enough to facilitate an alpinestars SMX-Plus boot! If you have large calves like me, it might be a bit of a squeeze.

Thirdly, the material is a stretchy denim. I'm getting pretty bulky recently and i find that it's pretty tight around my thighs. The lining material is a mix of dyaneema and kevlar and does not feel as smooth as the kevlar only lining on the sartsos.

Fourthly, the liner coverage is NOWHERE near as vast as the sartsos. It leaves your upper thigh exposed, the back of your knee exposed, and there is no provision for armour.

Lastly, the jeans developed a rip just below where the liner stops. This wasn't regarded as a design/manufacturing fault so I was pretty upset that they wouldn't stitch it up for me! More details on the video.

Sartso

The sartsos are more of a straight cut. Typical baggy style jean that's a bit long in the leg - 32" x 32" I believe but it feels so comfortable when on the bike. With boots or with trainers, it doesn't bunch up around your shin/ankles like I expected it to.

There is liner coverage on your thighs, backs of knees, pockets and has a mesh pocket for armour... which is also lined with kevlar.

The designs vary from plain to contemporary. It certainly didn't look out of place in the electric ball room on friday!

Summary

Considering that I pretty much wear these jeans whenever I head down to London on the bike and do everything with them (on a day to day basis or out clubbing - hardcore dancing/moshing etc), both jeans are very comfortable off the bike. I was disappointed as to poorly the draggin fabric came apart and their after support. I rectified the rip myself, but it's not ideal. The Sartsos are so new that I won't be able to give you as thorough a review of it. So far I have been impressed.

So to summarise, if you were to spend £130 on a pair of kevlar jeans... Head over to any stockist and get the sartsos!

I am expecting the typical replies now
Laughing Wink Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 1 Teflon-Mike.Thumbs Up

Will read later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Kevlar Jeans - My comparison review - Sartso Vs Draggin Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:

I am expecting the typical replies now
Laughing Wink Thumbs Up

My nan just rang, She wants her tea cosy back Laughing

JK, Good video Tot, I've never thought about buying a pair of actual riding jeans, I just use your typical jeans. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Kevlar Jeans - My comparison review - Sartso Vs Draggin Reply with quote

Every pair of my normal jeans end up torn up the crotch area, pisses me right off!

If these style jeans are reinforced there then this could be an ideal solution, cheers Thumbs Up

edit: squatted on many birds titot? Laughing

Last edited by bacon on 22:10 - 21 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urine will rot the stitching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidy, saved me asking... Thumbs Up

You dont half waffle on though Tot Laughing ...

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Re: Kevlar Jeans - My comparison review - Sartso Vs Draggin Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:

So, I give you my two jeans

Cheers fella. I'll PM you my address and if you let me know the sizes I'll be greatfull Laughing

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah bacon, I ain't squatted on a bird before! I've teabagged a few of the lads though! It was a messy birthday in Camden and the jeans sustained a lot of self-inflicted abuse on the dancefloor!

Anyway, for the Pièce de résistance. Or just sheer outright smugness because everybody knows how much of an alpinestars tart I am!

That ebay & credit card mishap that i was alluding to earlier was referring to this

The Alpinestars Tech 1-R racing jacket

https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/198043_10150176590755712_500990711_8364037_5503161_n.jpg

As you can see, I've already made the thing unsellable by sticking some £2.99 patch on the hump! Wink

Click here to see me give a head to head review with my old SMX jacket which the Tech 1 R intended to replace

Some head to head shots - Old SMX in silver with external armour - New Tech 1 R in black/white.

https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189167_10150176658905712_500990711_8364739_5216956_n.jpg

https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189737_10150176656715712_500990711_8364720_8153817_n.jpg

PROS

Arrow Got the Tech 1R off ebay for £250 - RRP £500. Brand new, 1/2 price ex stock, so it was a total steal!
Arrow Comfort is superb due to the stretch panels and perforation. The armour is positioned so that it aids movement when in the crouch or 3/4 position. Similarly, vents work equally well when in the tuck. Ideal for spring/summer/autumn. If you're feeling cold, then don on a base layer.
Arrow Feels relatively lightweight meaning that it won't fatigue you over long distances. The old SMX jacket was rather restrictive from this point of view. It felt tight across the chest and gut. The Tech 1R is the same size but fits more comfortably
Arrow Colour scheme and design - it is very smart in black and white and would go with any bike/helmet combination.
Arrow The race hump does not restrict the possibility of riding with a backpack. It works perfectly fine with my Kriega R30.
Arrow I could buy a used set of alpinestars pants and have myself a third race suit, albeit a 2 piece!
Arrow Provisions for a Tech Race back protector (which I already have!)

CONS

Arrow RRP! £500 is way too much to pay for a jacket!
Arrow The zipper pulls could have been larger in size to allow the jacket to be zipped up easier.
Arrow The 3D liner is pretty rough and abrasive - think Arai Dry cool interiors which they have on their RX-GP lids. It chafes around the neck. This liner is also non-removable.
Arrow No thermal liner included - it's not designed to have one because it's fully perforated. That said if you want windproofing and warmth, then you clearly picked the wrong jacket. Nothing that a set of £15 nike baselayers wouldn't solve

Summary

Yes I am a serious alpinestars tart and a hoarder of anything with that logo. You can say anything you want and I probably won't take heed! Fair enough some of you might think I'm paying for the brand name etc and I'm waiting for you guys to come out and say it. Is it also necessary to have all that gear knowing that you can only wear it one at a time?

This might seem totally subjective, but seeing that I spend 20% of my life on my bike, it's a pretty sizeable portion. I'd like to have the most affordable and comfortable kit around. Fair enough I've been let down by A* quality in recent times ( despite being their top drawer stuff), but hey, I don't go out drinking or trying to score an ounce of weed every week so the money I've saved goes to something I really enjoy. When I see a bargain, I just go for it. I don't have a bird to moan at my collection just yet, so whilst I'm still living life as a 13 year old bachelor who still laughs at beavis and butthead and will never really grow out of listening to Blink182 and New Found Glory, then I will always have my alpinestars!

Here's a parting shot

https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189503_10150176580825712_500990711_8363960_1818068_n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love my waffles sprinkled with runny brown bullshit! Razz Wink... If you want me very succinct, it will probably cost you a few jaeger bombs. I would be very pepped up and to the point!

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
. If you want me very succinct, it will probably cost you a few jaeger bombs.

Jager bombs are pussies drinks. Vodka and redbull Jager bombs FTW!

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
Yeah, I love my waffles sprinkled with runny brown bullshit! Razz Wink... If you want me very succinct, it will probably cost you a few jaeger bombs. I would be very pepped up and to the point!

Like I say it saved me asking as I've never been a fan of Draggin due to the skimping on the Kev', I'd seen the Sartsos and wondered what they were like...

Have some Karma ...

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 21 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally wanted to put my name down for

https://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/acatalog/nd4-motorcycle-jeans-mens.html

The Hood ND4 jeans, straight cut and very plain looking - perfect for work. However, they deal directly to customers so I wouldn't have been able to try it on.

Top Karma to the bloke that was helping me out at the store.

Unfortunately, the real reason why I was there was because it was one of the few places that I know stocked the Tech 1R jacket so I wanted to make sure I made the right choice in sizing. Buying the jacket blind on ebay when you were in a state could spell bad news. I didn't even register whether it was 52 EU or UK in which case it would have certainly been a waste of £250 quid.

Feeling guilty that I wasn't going to spend £500 at the store, and knowing that I wanted to get sartsos or any suitable kevlar jeans at some point, I bought it there and then.

I would have otherwise got it from Alex (Technomoto) because he's pretty helpful and a decent bloke. He recommended me Sartsos after he told me that Draggin were only being distributed exclusively via Fowlers. But it was a case of "I wanted the jeans there and then! My draggins were soaked since I got caught out in some heavy showers near Burford on the A40. I cleaned myself up at Bicester, but i knew my jeans wouldn't dry out before I went out at night and they were the only pair I had!

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my hood jeans, you should so do a review! Laughing

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill have to wait until my next bonus to come through before I even consider getting hoods. ND4's seem very likely.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to jinx you, but would be good for crash comparison between brands and compared to leather and textiles. Smile

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:26 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a near miss today coming home from work when a range rover pulled out of a give way sliproad without looking! I wouldn't have been a happy bunny but would have see how well it abraded.

Anyway,

here's the offical test by startso on their killers... done by a bunch of stunt riders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgAQbL-AroQ

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:35 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some second hand ones on ebay for anyone who is interested

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SARTSO-8-SKULLS-KEVLAR-JEANS-44-/260755752957?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Clothing&hash=item3cb64107fd#ht_500wt_1038

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:13 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with this review, at least about the Draggins. I just got some 2nd hand black Draggin's and was surprised that they didn't have armour pockets - I'd just assumed it. Sad

It's not much work to sew in pockets for armour, but I was also disappointed with the kevlar coverage. It's good quality knitted stuff (so less likely to tear than woven) but if I were buying new, I'd look at Sartso or Hood.

On the upside, the actual denim is decent stuff, close weave and a solid black - I can get away with them for office wear.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 13:18 - 22 Mar 2011; edited 1 time in total

dragstaar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Sartso Killers for about 2 months now, and they are still as good as new. They're incredibly stiff for the first few rides, but then they loosen up and are brilliantly comfortable. Haven't crashed in them yet, so that will have to wait

ryhardcastle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:59 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good little review tot. Looking for some kevlar jeans at the moment so I'm glad you've made this. Also looks like you've got shit loads of other useful videos. Subscribed!

PS, what's your favourite lid? See that you've got a fair few!

I've had my HJC for nearly 3 years now and it's still okay but I need to get another one as the HJC is going to be used for pillions. What do you recommend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favourite lid? Err, I love both of the Arais. Fit and comfort are second to none. Wear earplugs and you can forget about the noise. I always liked Hayden as a person so I got his race rep at the NEC just gone for £450 including dark visor! Also, when I opened an issue of Bike in 2000, I saw Nakano's lid with the Moon Eyes and I HAD to have it. To be fair, yeah you're a bit of a flash git if you're wearing a race rep, but I see helmet designs as a form of art. I love all of Aldo Drudi's designs so when the Nakano rep came up back in 2007, I just went for it. Nothing beats an Arai and I don't care what other people say. Those who slag it are probably the same guys who wish they could have an arai but cant fit or cant afford it. None of them have spent the better part of 40k miles wearing one on their head (I've clocked about 4k on my RX-GP and a good 40K on the older Corsair in all weather conditions).

Nothing wrong with HJCs mind. I had an AC10 about 8 years ago and that had 2 years of abuse out of it before i made some mistakes and ended up with a KBC AR1... then Shoei XR, then Arai Corsair, then shoei XR again, then Arai RX-GP.

With helmets, it's all about fit and budget. I'm a tarty git so I always buy race rep arais. Conveniently they fit the best! It's all about what you feel comfortable with. I try to outline the best and worst points of a product in my review because I feel that if I've spent all that money, I'd like to let people know about it so that they can make informed purchases or stay away from them! They can sometimes be a bit biased depending on my mood, but the fact that I DID spend money to purchase the stuff in the first place means that I'm not bigging up the item because I want to sell bucketloads of the stuff and get my profit margin in the black.

I'd be opening a can of worms if I were to recommend a helmet, and obviously there has been many heated discussions about it. Mid-price, if you can fit into an XR1100 and find it comfortable, they are good helmets. Arai is getting ludicrously expensive and the ONLY time I WILL recommend an Arai is if you can get it at 25% discount. I can't say I got on with the shoeis. They started to niggle me after 5 or so months so I ended up back with my arai!

But nothing's better than going to a shop to try it on for size!

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither of them are fully lined. Sad

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah they aint Sad. Does anybody have a pair of Hoods that they can offer feedback on?

L4Isoside
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 22 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
Nah they aint Sad. Does anybody have a pair of Hoods that they can offer feedback on?

Hood jeans? I'm not much of a writer but mine have lots of amid (or what ever is in them) cover, very tough and seem well made indeed... Had mine a few months.. I've even worn them on a night out Laughing Love mine, good colour too (the dark ones that is), stitching seems good too.

My only problem is they ride up very easily when on the bike so i get cold legs!

EDIT: You can also order the size you want/ need too, so fitting isn't so much of an issue. Thumbs Up

mark_13
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:34 - 23 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased I found your review (and you don't look too stoned). Was checking out the Draggins and RST jeans, then came across Sartsos. Off to HG at the weekend to spunk my weeks money on goodies!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3