Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125cc and the motorway - Do you do it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:53 - 28 Apr 2011    Post subject: 125cc and the motorway - Do you do it? Reply with quote

Evenin' all, I hope you're enjoying your Bank Holidays.

As some of you may know, I recently changed from a Honda PS125i to a Yamaha YBR125 with the intent of doing my Mod 1 and 2 toward the end of August.

I'm currently in the middle of moving house, the new house being quite literally 5 minutes off the motorway where it would be far quicker and easier for me to get to uni and my work placement, by hopping down the motorway 3 stops.

But I've been wondering whether it's viable for a 125cc to actually go on the motorway. My YBR will hit a comfortable 60 - 65, trying to push it any higher and it gets a bit bone jarring. Obviously a 125cc would be confined to the slow lane, but I'm wondering whether it would be safe for a 125cc to use the motorway given that it has a lower speed capacity.

Any thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 28 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obviously a 125cc would be confined to the slow lane

Opps you've failed! Laughing

I used to take my Yammy 125XT on the M25 (a couple of time whilist on L's) , it only did about 55-60 as long as you can keep ahead of the big Lorries I'd say its ok, just make sure you wear a hi viz as the foriegn ones may struggle to see you!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:12 - 28 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know you're not allowed on the motorway on a provisional licence?

If a copper sees L-plates on the motorway, he'll pull you for sure Then he can choose between MW10 (Disobeying special motorway regulations) which gives you three points or LC20 (driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence) which gives 3-6 points.

If you take the L-plates off and are caught. It's 3 points per missing L-plate PLUS the above and you could be looking at a ban.

In answer to the original question. I would, and have taken a 125 on the motorway. In fact, I've taken a C90 on the motorway. I also take my Enfield on the motorway and it is slower than a 125. I do however have a full licence so I'm allowed to.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:03 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken my 125 and (slowwww) 250 onto motorways and 70mph dual carriageways, and didn't enjoy it at all. Ragging your bike to its utmost just to keep up with the slowest traffic gives you very few options if anything goes screwy.

Your indicated 60-65 is more like an actual 56-61, the same speed as an artic. That's fine until you get involved in a game of artic leapfrog, and you get hidden in the middle. Drivers generally do not check the left lane just after overtaking a large vehicle, so you're very vulnerable.

So no, I wouldn't recommend it. If you do it, I'd suggest that you adopt a "C90" mindset, don't try to keep up, and give other traffic every encouragement to overtake you so that get behind them and remain visible.

But then as soon as you're legal to go on the motorway, you'll be able to get a bigger bike anyway. A fast 250 capable of an actual 75 or 80mph with a little in reserve is the minimum bike I'd want to take on a motorway.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 00:20 - 29 Apr 2011; edited 1 time in total

Glenben92
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:08 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wise, it's easily achievable. Distance is the problem that I find. I have quite a high level of mechanical sympathy and topping out or almost topping out my bike for long periods of time is not something i'm at ALL comfortable with. I always try to avoid using 60/70 roads if possible but won't go TOO far out of my way to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:38 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what motorway!
I live in Nuneaton.... about three miles from M6 J3, just off the M42, just off the M69, and not far from M1 or M5...
M6.... heading north.... no problem!
Nothing bludy moves more than 45mph in daylight!
M69... no problem..... virtually empty, apart from rush hours, and even then, only really a niggle when you hit the Leicetser M1 interchange!
M42... no bludy chance! That ones just lairy!

As others have said, motorways are duel carriageways where 'special rules' apply, hence no L-Plates. Otherwise, if you'd ride down a duel carriageway, why not a motorway?

Depends on the bike to some degree, as well. I used to do Coventry Stafford up the M6 a fair bit, when I had my AR... but that was 20 years ago! Spaghetti is a little interesting at more than 50, due to it being all elevated sections, and its rather windy! and the AR125 was very light! 105Kg from memory, lightest of the sports 125's and 10Kg less than a CG!

End of the day, its swings and roundabouts, and what your most comfortable with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:13 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You do know you're not allowed on the motorway on a provisional licence?

If a copper sees L-plates on the motorway, he'll pull you for sure Then he can choose between MW10 (Disobeying special motorway regulations) which gives you three points or LC20 (driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence) which gives 3-6 points.

If you take the L-plates off and are caught. It's 3 points per missing L-plate PLUS the above and you could be looking at a ban.

In answer to the original question. I would, and have taken a 125 on the motorway. In fact, I've taken a C90 on the motorway. I also take my Enfield on the motorway and it is slower than a 125. I do however have a full licence so I'm allowed to.

Yes, I know you can't use the motorway on a provisional Razz I should have clarified that I'm asking theoretically for when I've passed my test.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:43 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why people have difficulty. Riding at 50mph in the left hand lane is not a problem. Motorways are designed to allow for overtaking. The only issue I have is that it's boring. It can be a bit tricky moving across into lane 3 where a four lane motorway splits but I've found wagon drivers to be very courteous in this respect and they will flash you out.

What'll surprise you is how many vehicles you overtake yourself. Heavily laden lo-loaders and old shape transit vans with a palette of concrete blocks in the back will not be doing much more than 50. Military vehicles are usuaually doing 50mph on the nose too.

I've never had a problem with tailgating or people cutting past halfway between lanes when in the left lane. It's reps and boy racers who do that sort of stuff and it exclusively happens between lanes 2 and 3.

Best one is a full petrol tanker. These usually sit at nearly bang-on 60. You can slipstream one on a 125 for miles and miles with the throttle barely half open.

Nai
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the A40 every day past Northolt (NSL stretch, 3 lanes either side) and I have never had an issue. Helps having a bike that can make 70, even if that means raggin the teets off it. But the left lane seems to move between 50-60 at its fastest anyway. Even off rush hour times.

Do I guess thats a yes from me. Thumbs Up

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:55 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it your referring to the stretch of M5 around Junction 19. It is pretty flat for miles south from there apart from Tickenham Hill and Naish Hill so the 125 should do it without an issue when you get your licence Thumbs Up

Plenty of clued up traffic cops around those area's and all it takes is a driving licence check Crying or Very sad

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:51 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my 125 on the motorway on the M6 and M42 with no problems.
40 miles each way, traffic is usually heavy during rush hour so you just filter through.
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:12 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livefast123 wrote:
I take it your referring to the stretch of M5 around Junction 19. It is pretty flat for miles south from there apart from Tickenham Hill and Naish Hill so the 125 should do it without an issue when you get your licence Thumbs Up

Plenty of clued up traffic cops around those area's and all it takes is a driving licence check Crying or Very sad

That's the one Razz I'll be commuting Pill > Bridgewater once a week and Pill > W-s-M twice a week.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:21 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
i'm next to the m6,but wouldn't fancy it on the cg in the slow lane as the massive grooves left from the lorries would be a reet pain in the anus

Most of the M6 is a bit rectum twitching on a bike.
Elevated sections from about J5 to J9 are....
OK.... VF-Thou... MACK-ruddy-TRUCK of a motorcycle. 600Lb of metal, before you through your leg over it, not a bike that 'lacks' stability...
M6?
VERY twitchy on those windswept sections, but the worst bit is the truck slots and the fact that the road is like a roller coaster... with square wheels!
The sections, individually are flat, but gong up and down the different levels, they are jointed, and its not just up and down, but left and right, as they are tilted into the curves... and THEN you find the trucking slots!
Honestly, first time I did that section on that bike, I thought THIS is going to be a breeze... BIG stable bike, soft suspension.... should be confy as an armchair.....
Approaching Spahgetti, I was bounced from the overtaking lane, progressively, slab by bludy slab into the inside, and was riding teh 'burm' of them truck slots, to make it round.......
Mind.... it was late at night.....and I was doing a 'little' over the speed limit! Embarassed
Defintite twitch time!

With others though on them being boring.... tend to avoid unless I just need to get miles covered, or want an 'easy' ride at the end of the day or something.

Do agree with Stink on the slip stream though..... CAN be rather sphincter twitching, because you have to get in close on the tail, and it helps to do a weave and let the trucker see you in the mirrors from time to time.... have had one to spot me and give me thumbs up, and do things like double dip the brake lights to give me extra warning they are slowing and stuff, but was a godsend in my student days.... used to be able to do Manchester Plymouth on a tank full in the AR holding 56 behind a tautliner! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:49 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I must admit I've gotten a bit confused by the talk of slipstreaming and weaving. I'm only fairly new to this don't forget Razz

But it's still good to hear that people think that it will be a viable option to jump down the motorway when it's convenient to do so Smile

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recluso wrote:
Okay, now I must admit I've gotten a bit confused by the talk of slipstreaming and weaving. I'm only fairly new to this don't forget Razz

But it's still good to hear that people think that it will be a viable option to jump down the motorway when it's convenient to do so Smile

Slipstreaming does not work unless you're doing 100mph, 6 inches behind the vehicle in front
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shit load of the M4 has a 50 limit enforced by average speed cameras, so that'd be perfect for a 125. But as said above no learners. Some bits of motorway can be very heavily policed, and it's not like you'd have anywhere to hide! Laughing

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

Slipstreaming does not work unless you're doing 100mph, 6 inches behind the vehicle in front

If that were true, why do they do it on the tour de france?
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:02 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

DaFrostyOne wrote:
If that were true, why do they do it on the tour de france?

Trucks doing 56, reckon it does. Ask a haulier... they reckon that slip streaming can drop the diesel consumption by as much as 30%.

It all depends on the dynamics, and how big a 'wake' the lead vehicle creates.

In F1 GP, with the cars so acutely streamlined and running so much air management, probably wont get much suck between them. Likewise race bikes, mainly becouse of the size of them... but behind a bludty great artic doing 50+ there is one HELL of a hole in the air that will suck you along....

I mean have you ever been stood on the pavement when one has gone past at 40? The wake is enough to buffet you accross the pavement, and teh slip stream enough to suck you clean into the road.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one knows whether it works in certain circumstances compared to other circumstances. The cyclists can't tell because it's so little gained speed. And then if they do feel faster, is that because they're in a cluster of cyclists? Things can just seem faster the closer they are.

And yes I admit, you can do it behind lorries because they are tall and slab backed. But would you really want to do that? They cannot see you in their mirror, and you cannot see infront of them. If a crash occurs, you're head will explode before you even think about applying the brakes.

Last edited by blurredman on 23:07 - 29 Apr 2011; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have,

stayed in the slow lane, planned a head and over took anything going slower than me.

Travelled 100ish miles with the throttle pinned open without having to slow down.

obs and planning is the key!

lozza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

accidentaly turned onto the M1 on my at the time restricted NSR on L plates. shat a brick lol it was horrible just hoping i didnt get spotted before i reached the next junction. i think you'd really struggle especially going up an incline, i lost ALOT of speed on a tiny gradient.

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rode from basingstoke up to cambridge today, tried to avoid the dual carriageways as much as i could... the few that i did go on were just not fun.

i just don't like sitting at full throttle, up around the red line... not nice. manage about 60 indicated most of the time!

didn't help that it pissed it down halfway there, like riding thru a waterfall! so i stopped in luton (lovely place) for a maccy d's.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 29 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their is no such thing as a slow lane or fast lane on the motorway normal driving on the motorway should be on the left lane the outer lanes are for overtaking but they all have the same speed limit.

If you get an arsy copper you can get done for driving in the outer lanes for too long especialy if the motorway is clear.

As far as riding a 125cc bike on the motorway that is no problem motorways have no minimum speed limit.

"Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36-46 incl)".

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2