Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

250 in a 125 frame... Mot time, Whoopsie.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:02 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
ok, the whole cbt thing is a different argument, but come on, how many 35-45yr old riders didnt ride 250's with outragely tuned cylinders, bbks etc etc "back in the day"?

I'm 40, I missed the 250 Learner Laws by five and a half years...
Lads that took 250's out on L's, when they were allowed would now be 46+ minimum.
Idea they ALL tore about on needle filed X7's and RD-LC's is also a little bit of historical distortion. RD-LC actually had a very short Learner Life, bike came out on a W-Plate, 1980/81 and was banned by the 125 laws inside 18 months.....
The X7 & RD-LC were the RS125 & Mito of their era, they were the bikes the boy-racers aspired to, but truth, when its admitted, is that most L-Platers rode 250 Slug-Dreams. Honda reckoned that half of all 250 Registrations were 250N's! and an awful lot of L-Platers, went for sub 200cc bikes, because back then, they fell into a lower tax and insurance group, and were a lot cheaper to run.
Only thing that helped boost the popularity of the 2t250's was that motorcycle insurance in those days was a lot less sophisticated, and most riders had Norwich Union 'rider' policies, as they had something like 90% market share, and on that policy they rated the premium by rider age, bike cc, bike value, and post code! didn't matter if you got a BSA C15 250, with about as much performance as CG125, or an MZ250, with barely any more, or a Honda Super Dream, or a Yamaha RD250LC, made little effect on the insurance price!
And there were a whole load of other things that made 'back in the day' a completely different game to what it is today.
1980, your average family saloon car was something like a 1300 Morris Marina.... and not every home had one, let alone two or three! Roads were a lot quieter, there was a lot less traffic around.
An AWFUL lot less.
I used to go cycling round the lanes round where I lived, and off the main roads, I could be out for three four five hours and not meet two cars.
Same roads now.... well, first of all when I was a kid most of them passed through green fields and woods and stuff! Now they pass through housing estates and retail parks!
But get into the few green bits remaining, and you cant go a mile without meeting other traffic.
We didn't have traffic calming areas, road humps, and road intruders. We had ancient bends! There was a big Road Improvement scheme, and a lot of A roads were being straightened and graded to take out blind bends and hill brows.
And often the biggest limitation to how fast you could go was not how much power you had, but how much confidence you had in hard, narrow cross ply tyres, spindly forks, and underdamped twin shock suspension! It was the age of the Muscle Bike, and even in the smaller classes, handling was often 'iffy'!
If you head off the beaten track and modern well surfaced and graded A roads onto the back lanes, where the surface is often gravel strewn, pot holed, narrow and off camber, and vexed by blind corners, obscured by trees, with ditches in the verge... you know the sort of 'country road' you still find in the National Parks... those were 'normal' roads, 'back in the day'..... man that can give it some beans on one of them on a modern sports-bike would be brave indeed! Now imagine trying that on an X7, with typical tyres of the era, standard shocks and no fork brace!
It was a different world...... or no.... a different ENVIROMENT.....
some things don't change!
And I was talking to a lad, the other day, and hearing his tales of daring do on his Bandit.......And then I watched him ride.....
what people SAY they did, 'Back in the Day' is Kaleidescoped, rose spec filtered, and selectively cropped.... many did have outrageousely ported two stroke 250's.... and many DID rag the arse off them, as they will recount..... but their time on those bikes was often actually quite short, and the incidents they recall, remarkeably few, NOT 'the norm'.
But as said, completely different world we lived in, and if there ONE difference that makes it different, its attitudes to the law.
'Back in the Day' underage drinking, kids would go down the pub, get served, if they got pissed and threw up, folk would shake thier heads and laugh, 'They'll Learn!'. Got clocked speeding on your RD250... local bobby, with his Kawasaki Z200, wouldn't bother chasing... he'd wait until he spotted you parked up in the village and 'have a word', and make you cringe. Stick it through a hedge? He'd help you pull the bike out, look at your gravel rash, look at your bent forks and say "Well, you'll have time to ponder the wisdom of what you been up to, while you save up to get that fixed, and for that to stop hurtin', wont you?"
We didn't HAVE the prceduralised, impersonal, regulatory frame work we have now....
Yes, we had local 'sweenie' who would have it in for you, but we also had the old world wise village bobby, looking out for you....
so when it came to 'infringing' the laws, first there weren't so many, secondly they weren't so rigidly enforced, nor inflexibly enforceable.....
Back to my earlier comment..... stuff a big motor in a 125, I have listed all the regulations of modern law you risk running foul off.
Nothing says you WILL be cought, nor that iof you are you WILL be prosecuted.....
But in todays world, its a LOT different to slapping 125 stickers on the side of an RD200... the regulations are framed against us.... back then coppas didn't have ANPR or computers in teh car with direct access to teh Swansea Database and shared Insurance register.... hell, there wasn't one! I think DVLA were still using paper records back then!
And even if they were cute enough to spot the differences between the generator cover of a 125 and a 200.... to prove riding other than in accordance, they would have to take the bike off you and have it stripped, which they practically couldn't do, so they would give you a bollocking, grumble about your L-Plates, and let you know they had thier eye on you...... maybe issue a ticket for a defective stop lamp switch.....
Now, with portable dynometers, in car computers, and much more rigidly framed legislation, donesn't MATTER how clued up they are....
They pull you, they look at the bike, they THINK it looks suss, they now have the power to sieze the bike, and its ALMOST up to YOU to prove you are innocent......
We can make parallells to other eras, and compare the stupidity of youth, but its not really all that relevant.
Ultimately we live in THIS world happening around us today.
The 'Lads' of 'back in teh day' were no more criminal genius trying to beat the system then, than kids are today, only difference is how futile it is, and how much 'risk' they take for a given reward!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i do feel old....was it as long ago as that? jeez....
I do remember the week it changed though...my grandad owned a scrappy & he ended up with loads of 250's (mz,jawa suzukis..all sorts)...shame, they would be worth something now.
thats where i 1st learned to hold a spanner & ride a motorcycle, at 12.....
my earliest road memories are 1985/86 & ok the roads are busier & things have changed ... but not that much....

round our way, teenagers ran around on lc's,gt's etc as well as loads of mz's & jawas & all sorts of 2t scooters...with gears..modded to f*ck..... most of them illegally.

(i even remember mates of mine (with more money than me) going to school in a mini 1275gt.....in the days when there were no airbags,abs, disc brakes, seat belts etc.)

sound familiar? the yoof of today de-restrict 50cc mopeds, rs125's etc so pretty much the same pattern.
but components, brakes etc have improved also...so i reckon its all much of a muchness....
ok, illegal, bit meh, who am i to judge?
its not for me to criticise someone who wants to experiment, legally an adult..so if he wants to take risks, why not..

i'd like to think anyone attempting to swap engines, would at least see if the 125/200/250's share the same frame....but that probably beeing a bit optimistic, as i certainly didnt when i was 1st "fixing up" bikes.....

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:28 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225590_1790484200267_1184473155_31688393_5705021_n.jpg

Okay Guys I Lied.. But only because i didn't want load of Hate Yes i'm stupid But I'm going to be the one facing the consequences

It's my Bike.. It was a bad Job The Engine Was Hanging out and it needs works...

The Bike's Pretty Quick.. Theres no 250cc stamped on the engine

You guys were right it Has been put together poorly
But after a day of owning it..

This happened

https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/228149_1790485240293_1184473155_31688395_5881903_n.jpg

Full Strip down

https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/231059_1790485880309_1184473155_31688397_2610361_n.jpg

Bars Align'd Headstock bearings changed Front fork seals changed
Fresh Pads

https://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227491_1790485600302_1184473155_31688396_2357641_n.jpg

Rolling frame
https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230982_1794085450296_1184473155_31691452_4663747_n.jpg

This weekend the Welding work on the Frame is going to be done My dads a FULL time Welder and Does Alot of custom work so his work is safe and to a high standard

The 250
https://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226769_1790484840283_1184473155_31688394_4033834_n.jpg

DONE:
Fresh Break Fluid
Fresh Pads Front and back
Headstock bearings replaced
Front Fork Seals Replaced
Painted Swingarm
Greece'd everything up (Suspension was Squeaking)
Align'd front bars
Cleaned the Carb out

Plans
Engine Flush (Gearbox and Engine oil)
New Plug
Welding Work
Support bar for Underneath the Engine
Custom Exhaust

Call me Stupid But I'm taking my a2 on this bike and Declaring the 250 and there for i will be Fully legal very soon and i wont have to swap bikes...

-Josh

-waiting to be attacked by people with full licences-

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:53 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like an interesting project.

keep an eye on your frame mounts - that mill is likely to put more strain on your frame.

Wouldn't take it for granted that the DVLA will just update the engine number on the log book when you go through that process.

You may find you have to go through the VOSA MSVA test for Radically Rebuilt Vehicles, as I found out recently with one of my projects.

All the best,

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:27 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipsmoker wrote:
Hey Chaps I'm Posting for my friend Ryan.. He's Just Bought a Reiju 125 Mrx Off of Gumtree, It's got a 250 Motor cross engine But still Registered as a 125 on the Logbook.. It needs a little work but he's wondering how it will go through mot? Do they Check engine size
His Friend told him If it says 125cc on the logbook and 250cc on the barrel they will fail it.. but my friends tell me other things lol
Can anyone confirm this? I know it's illegal ive told him..

Lipsmoker wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but that's no Moto Cross motor.... that is an air cooled four stroke.... and suspiciousness like the Chinese 'big' CG or GN copy lumps.
In which case.... it may be over the 125cc Learner Limit, but in all probability, likely to be under, or certainly 'boarderline' on the 15bhp power limit!
Rather changes the flavour of it all, some what!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:54 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I agree.. The Guy reckons it was out of a Wr250 Lol No Change the only thing the engines got is "CCM" on the side.

Could anyone give me a Hand on trying to find out what engine this is?

I dont care if its Chinese to be honest, Because on the Chinese bikes it's mostly the frames and electrics that break not the motors

Engine
Air cooled 4 stroke 250
CCM stamped on the gearbox cover
No Engine Numbers
5 speed
Air cooled
30mm carb

Ripps nice for a 250 I Meen if this is Chinese then what the hell I only ripped it down a Backroad before the Stripdown but 3/4 throttle took it from 0-45 in about 5 seconds (in 3rd)

( I'm new to geared bikes and that was with sloppy gearing)

Last edited by Lipsmoker on 18:12 - 14 May 2011; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:05 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Given the method of locating the front sprocket I would guess it is a Honda derived engine (not certain though as that could easily be changed, and not only Honda use that method).

CCM are a UK company but they did sell some Chinese built bikes badged as CCM

All the best

Keith

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:17 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Given the method of locating the front sprocket I would guess it is a Honda derived engine (not certain though as that could easily be changed, and not only Honda use that method).

CCM are a UK company but they did sell some Chinese built bikes badged as CCM

All the best

Keith

Thanks Mate Some Decent info

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-RIEJU-MRX-125-ORANGE-CCM-250CC-4-STROKE-/260772774660?pt=UK_Motorcycles

Hmm Thinking

That's the engine out the CRX230. it's a 230cc engine, not 250. CCM didn't make a 250cc engine till 2009 and it was called the XTR250, which looks like this

https://future-motorcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2009-ccm-xtr250.jpg

The CRX230 looks like this

https://future-motorcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2009-ccm-cxr230.jpg

Thumbs Up

Dunc

I was MrDunkable in a previous life. Then questioned why I was the one being dunked...

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:02 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate Someone Cracked it! At least it's not Chinese So i'm happy

cheers again

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:37 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipsmoker wrote:

It is Chinese, just sold through CCM.

All the best

Keith

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Lipsmoker wrote:

It is Chinese, just sold through CCM.

All the best

Keith

Was going to say that.

It'll be chinese made, but badged as CCM. The bike is pretty much a knock off of honda's CRF250. hence Keith's comment about the sprocket being akin to a honda design.

to quote...

Quote:
In 2004 CCM went bust, but Alan and Austin Clews quickly brought it back to life. Its production line is now healthy again and to prove the point, CCM unveiled five new bikes for 2007.

These are the CR40 cafe racer, which comes in naked and unfaired versions; and the SR40 Street Scrambler, which harks back to the CCM motocross bikes of the 1970s and 1980s.

The retro theme continues with the new FT35RS Flat Track model. And finally, the modern-day CXR230S supermoto and CXR230E off-road models are produced in conjunction with one of China’s biggest motorcycle manufacturer.

Still, it's a rieju frame, i wouldn't exactly be expecting reliability to start with, even with the stock engine.

Use and abuse, do your test, and get a proper bigger bike Thumbs Up

Dunc

I was MrDunkable in a previous life. Then questioned why I was the one being dunked...

Lipsmoker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:13 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still, it's a rieju frame, i wouldn't exactly be expecting reliability to start with, even with the stock engine

Use and abuse, do your test, and get a proper bigger bike Thumbs Up

Dunc

Hehe I'm not arguing because it's my bike but ive researched Alot on the Rieju's there Spanish not Chinese The Readups on the bike are fine and ive seen the frame in the flesh and theres nothing wrong with it.. No Design flaws Nothing.

Use and Abuse? I like to take care of my bikes so i can sell them for more money Ill easy fetch upwards of a Grand when i get it how i want it. Don't forget the bikes been stripped down so it's going to be like factory when ive finished with it
And how exactly does a Chinese copy of a honda's CRF250 do 0-45 in about 5 seconds With sloppy Gearing?

You might be Very right But I've rode Chinese and this doesnt feel sluggish like a Chinese bike.. it was lifting itself in 2nd gear

I Suppose the only logical way to tell if the engine's a pile of piss is put it through it's paces.

But yeah thanks for the Info everyone and why cant i find a project section on the thread? am i just being blind Razz

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own, mate Thumbs Up

It's a 230cc single pushing out around 18hp at the crank... it'll have some oomph, but compared to the DRZ400, which is looked at as not being a very powerful bike, at 400cc it's pushing out around 40hp at the crank... so either it's not the right engine i'm thinking of, or you've got modded sprockets.

Not something i'd do, but if it works, good stuff!

It's the 'show and tell' section. stick it up in there and post up your progres, i'll be following to see how it turns out Thumbs Up

Dunc

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:57 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I Completely disagree with the 31mph limit it's dangerous i would have had to Rag my scooter up a 60mph Duel Carriageway at 30mph to get to college every morning.
It was dangerous at 45mph unrestricted i couldn't imagine it being even LEGAL at 30mph

I agree having a 30mph restriction enforced on learners but not restricting them to 30mph roads is a bit stupid, motorways are out of bound fair enough but they are still sending 30mph vehicles out to ride national speed limit roads where most other road users will force them to ride in the gutter and overtake dangerously out of pure frustration.

If the government are going to let learners ride high speed roads they should let them be able to do so without causing an obstruction by removing the speed limitaions

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 13:01 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MotoRoma and Rieju SMX and MRX 125 bikes, run an engine which is identical to a Yamaha YBR125 engine.
My SMX125 actually had a YBR125 engine.

The Chinese "upright" engine pit bikes, run the exact same engine too.
They come in different flavors from 125cc, up to 250cc.

Suspect that engine is just a 250cc version of the original 125.
So it's probably on the same engine mounts etc.

https://img.atomik.com.au/DirtBike/KudaPro250M/KudaPro250M-Part6.jpg

https://img.atomik.com.au/DirtBike/KudaPro250M/KudaPro250M-Part1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

reggie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:43 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

my rx 125 is faster then a drz 400.....

50 hp motocross engine in my dt 125 so much fun pulling up to pepole who have just passd there test and are on a 400 thay se the l plates and try to race then you make em look like a twat of the line

https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/17455_482825830174_826025174_11379147_3378010_n.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2