Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stuck petrol cap

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Biggelo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:52 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: Stuck petrol cap Reply with quote

Hi guys..

So two days ago I went to fill up (R125) and just couldn't budge the petrol cap, the key goes in no problem, it appears to be all the way in, but it just won't turn.

I have had problems with this in the past, but usually after a minute or so of jiggling it's managed to open up. Not this time, and I don't have too much petrol left in it. I'm not sure if the cap is on backwards? I can only find one image on google of another and my cap is on the other way. I know it was on the way for the past month or two at least.

I have searched it on the forum and online and tried any of the tips I found, I've sprayed in WD40, heated the cap with a hair dryer, pushed the lid down when I'm turning, pulled the lid up when I'm turning, I can't remember what else.

I only have one key for the bike so I'm avoiding the temptation to try and force it and snap my key.

Any idea's/tips/tricks?

Cheers guys

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 in 1 oil or similar into the lock.

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the key is it bent?

but get another key for the lock before you do anything else!

Biggelo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:06 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried 3 in 1, no luck, I'm gonna go back out and try again soon but not holding out much hope.

The keys not bent it looks fine, it works in the ignition no problems. I did try to get a copy a few month ago but it didn't work, I've been meaning to go and try again.

Got a holiday coming up on monday so moneys tight, that's why I've not bothered ringing a mechanic/the dealer just yet

froggy128
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: Re: Stuck petrol cap Reply with quote

Biggelo wrote:
Hi guys..

So two days ago I went to fill up (R125) and just couldn't budge the petrol cap, the key goes in no problem, it appears to be all the way in, but it just won't turn.

I have had problems with this in the past, but usually after a minute or so of jiggling it's managed to open up. Not this time, and I don't have too much petrol left in it. I'm not sure if the cap is on backwards? I can only find one image on google of another and my cap is on the other way. I know it was on the way for the past month or two at least.

I have searched it on the forum and online and tried any of the tips I found, I've sprayed in WD40, heated the cap with a hair dryer, pushed the lid down when I'm turning, pulled the lid up when I'm turning, I can't remember what else.

I only have one key for the bike so I'm avoiding the temptation to try and force it and snap my key.

Any idea's/tips/tricks?

Cheers guys

sounds like some of the sliders/pins are stuck in the lock,put some wd or similar in and put the key in and run it up and down in the lock (just keep pushing it in and out but not fully taking the key out) may take few goes but it will free up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 02 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drip some oil in there then blast it with WD$0 fitted with the little red straw. Poke the straw throught he keyslot cover and aim it all around. The pressure will blast oil all around the levers in the lock.

Put the key all the way in, press down on the cap to take the pressure off the lock and apply turning pressure on the key whilst jiggling it up and down in the key slot (not in and out). Hopefully you'll get the cap off doing this, then you can oil the mechanism that's sticking by dribbling oil in alongside the two locking wedges and pinching them in and out with your fingers whilst turning the key until it's all moving feely again.

As with many things - a little bit of regular maintainance can go a very long way.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Biggelo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:42 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys Thumbs Up

The key up and down for a few minutes did the job after a while, it wasn't moving too freely when I opened it up so I have oiled it and am going to keep on top of that from now on.

Thanks again

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 03 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain lube's always worked the best on sticky locks for me. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1