Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CB125 Superdream only running on one cylinder

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

locky60
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:09 - 09 May 2011    Post subject: Honda CB125 Superdream only running on one cylinder Reply with quote

Hi don't know if anyone can help,i have got a 1987 Honda CB125 TD-J.I striped the bike down(not the engine) re painted it and put it all back together,but now it only runs on one cylinder and i cant find out why.
It all ran fine before i started i did take the starting motor of the engine and it did sit on its side for a dit,it starts ok and i have got a spark on the cylinder that doesn't work.
Any help would be good thanks Question

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:30 - 09 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

start with the basics.
You have twin sparks on this bike, so you can nail down the fault by side to side swapping.
Anyway. First of all
Swap plugs left to right, see if spark moves with plug... if so then you have duff plug
Then try swapping coil connections..... see if spark swaps with coils....
IF SO check the earth connections on coils to frame! Highly likely if you have been chucking paint around that's where the problem lies.
Next, swap CDI plugs... see if spark moves....
Finally.... did you remove the generator cover when painting?
If so check that the casing is seating properly at the bottom.
A misaligned alignment dowl, on the bottom holding the casing possibly 2mm off the crank case had me tracing evert bludy wire, and testing every damn component in the system, two weeks ago, until we found out that small 'chink' in the casing, via a plasticine test, meant that the rotor trigger was completely missing the lower ignition trigger!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

locky60
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:28 - 09 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,will try them out and let you know how it gose.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:40 - 09 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on though.

You HAVE got a spark on the non-running side? Is it a good, strong blue spark that jumps directly across the electrode?

Is the plug wet after it's run for a bit? It should be soaked in fuel. If it isn't, there is a problem with the carburettor or the fuel supply to that carburettor. As I remember, if there is a restricted fuel supply, it'll tend to drop out on one cylinder first (usually the right one as I recall).

Also check your airbox. If it's been lying on its side, there could be oil in there clogging the filter.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:56 - 09 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Hold on though.

Err... a few more cafine doeses later, I spot that there's not a 'NO' between got and spark on non firing pot! (Typed after just one large mug of coffee... sorry, I dont properly wake up until at least the fifth!)
Yes... renowned for running on on pot.
As Stink says, often RH cylinder of fuel issue.
Other one is if the choke mech isn't properly connected, though TD-J ought to have 'paired' twin CV carbs... whether it has or not is another matter. They have very fragile 'bonded' diagphram on the throttle slide, which will perish and is prone to splitting... and they are £90 EACH to replace, as you have to replace both the diagphram and throttle slide.. Another niggle point to check!
If earlier slide carbs fitted... check if they are CB125 Twin, twin carbs or if they are two CG carbs.... or pit bike carbs... could have anythng on there really1
Super Dream 125 carbs have notably flakey link between choke spindles, choke cable works choke butterfly on LH carb, RH one may do anything it likes! If its not connected, or loose in the link, or the link isn't transmitting full travel, or its out of kilter on adjustment!
Often floods RH carb....
Elsewise, be sure it IS actually a fault before diving in with spanners... often start up on LH pot, and second cuts in when its good and ready and theres enough heat in the cylinder head!
So get engine warmed up, and let it run, and make sure second pot doesn't come on stream in its own good time.
are you running twin exhausts or a Motad or Micron two into one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:12 - 09 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Err... a few more cafine doeses later, I spot that there's not a 'NO' between got and spark on non firing pot!

Nobody could not have noticed that Mike didn't spot the absence of a negative on the non firing cylinder. Wasted

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:45 - 09 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
Err... a few more cafine doeses later, I spot that there's not a 'NO' between got and spark on non firing pot!

Nobody could not have noticed that Mike didn't spot the absence of a negative on the non firing cylinder. Wasted

A sextuple negative. I think that's a new record.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:18 - 09 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Just goes to show I'm NOT ineffable.....
.... though my track record with women suggests otherwise.....

locky60
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:10 - 09 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have got a good spark on both plugs,it is the right one im having probs with and the plug is wet when i take it out.
I am running a two into one exhaust and the carbs are joined by a bar for the chock.
Im going to pull the cards of tomorrow and have a look at the.
Thanks for the help
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1