Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leather vs Textile

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JackDaniels
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:27 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Leather vs Textile Reply with quote

Hi guys,
basically i want to know the pros/cons of both...

I have found a nice set of textiles, Jacket and trousers with pads, for £250

but my mum is saying leathers are safer but would cost about £100 more. i'm only going to be on a 125 at first until I've passed my A2 where i will be looking for something bigger, What would you say is the best option to go for.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose its down to personal preference

I have both

Textiles are warmer and waterproof for winter

Leathers for summer, leathers provide better abraison protection should you find yourself siding down the road on yer arse

JackDaniels
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:36 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... i went down to the local bike shop today and the guy was sayig that its sometimes difficult to walk in leathers :S

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

jogrr1994 wrote:
hmm... i went down to the local bike shop today and the guy was sayig that its sometimes difficult to walk in leathers :S

It's not difficult to walk in leathers at all. You may look like a bit of a gimp because of all the armour in them, but the physical act of walking is easy......

JackDaniels
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:49 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are leathers like in the rain ? i really like the look/feel of the leathers but they were also saying that the textiles are better in the rain

Gerrard
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:51 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Textile's are great for everyday use but should you want to do track days at a later date, leathers are a must..
I've got both but I have been riding for yonk's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dogbot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear leather trousers all the time, rain or otherwise. They're actually a bit more water resistant than the (frankly shitty) Oxford "Bone Dry" textile trousers I have. The riding position of my bike seems to make it so they don't catch much direct water anyway, but anything that does run off the top immediately soaks through the textiles.

If it's raining, I'll usually combine those with a textile jacket with a waterproof liner, and if it's really coming down, a waterproof over suit.

But given the choice, leathers all the way, personally. Tbh, though, it's down to what you feel most comfortable with, really.

Last edited by dogbot on 15:56 - 20 Jun 2011; edited 1 time in total

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

in light raining there not to bad, if its full on pissing it down then you get wet. i have a set of water proofs for over the leathers if it rains which i just slung in the top box.

no i dont have a top box i just avoid rain were ever possible Wink

i dont find walking in leathers problem, i switched back to a 2 piece recently though as i prefer to be able take my jacket off if its warm, rather than having it tied round my waist or flobbing about round my arse

njd27
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:59 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

jogrr1994 wrote:

It's sometimes difficult to walk in well fitting textiles, because of the armour.

Note, I said "well fitting" Smile

SirEdward
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:19 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dainese perforated leather jacket - still too warm to ride in during Summer. Textiles usually have several removable layers, making them the choice for 24/7 riding. And I have another jacket - a no-name textile with 3 layers: some 'perforated' rubberised skin for rainy days, a cold weather mesh, and the jacket itself, which is very comfortable in the hot & humid. Wink

Don't even think about leather pants, tho. Shocked
"Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Pardot Kynes in "Appendix I: The Ecology of Dune""
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leathers typically are worn instead of jeans, textiles typically are worn over jeans. Depends what you want them for, tight leathers with sliders and loads of armour is great for summer leisure riding but pretty shit for winter and day to day commuting. Textiles on the other hand are usually more comfortable and waterproof, warmer in winter and often have linings which can be removed and zips that open up vents for some airflow.

If I had to choose I'd get one good set of textiles.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:

If I had to choose I'd get one good set of textiles.

Or the combo mentioned above of leather trousers + lightweight waterproofs to go over them when really wet - and a textile jacket.
This seems to be favoured by police at the moment.

I find leather jackets a bit heavy on the shoulders to wear all day and if close fitting are not handy for today's essential bits and pieces like mobile phone and digital camera - pockets on textile jackets are typically more usable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dogbot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innit.

The day they make a bike jacket of any sort that you can keep your cheap sunnies in without having to have them in an uncomfortable hard case them getting crushed when you lean forwards, leather or textile, I will dance a jig... Very Happy

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now a question for you.

What riding do you intend to do ?

If its to and from work/collage, then its easier to wear normal clothing under textiles.
If you have leathers you will need to have somewhere to change and keep your normal clothing at the other end.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:26 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, very much a matter of personal opinion and intended use.

I wore leather trousers for a while, but had to go up a full 4" in the waist to get ones that fitted over my, uh, robust buttocks, and I couldn't really get on with them. Now I'm textile all the way. RST top and bottom, fairly water resistant but they could do with a re-proofing. I went up a size on the trousers so that I could wear them over my office trousers.

If I were ever going on a track, I'd spent on a serious set of leathers, and then I'd pay a professional clothes alteration place to check over all the stitching. You won't get more than you pay for, but you might get less.

But for a single set of gear for year round road use, I personally am sticking to textiles.

And don't feel that you have to buy new. eBay is swimming in "worn once, realised I was a porker" gear, leather and textile, that you can grab at a decent discount from new, if you're prepared to be patient.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I? Please? I mean someone has to? Right?

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3NrzKklYDVU/S7VLk141bkI/AAAAAAAAAUo/_yKSojjffnQ/s1600/not_again_cat.jpg

I have both though. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:47 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set of these from Fowlers - https://www.fowlersonlineshop.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductLineID=84267&CatID=1017

I find that textiles are far more comfortable to wear than leathers but obviously leathers do give more abrasion portection. I bought the above as cheap kit for my commuting and they've lasted well over a year with no mishaps. I also find my set really waterproof and survived a 3 hr ride to Northampton in the rain over the weekend without a leak.

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to bear in mind is this:

If, for you, part of being a biker is looking cool, then stay away from textiles.

open
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:10 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a good set of textiles give you abrasion resistance?

Considering all the armour you have in arms/shoulders/back/elbows/etc...?

[s]Baotian BT49qt-9 --> Honda CG125 (4 speed) '51 plate ----- 03/11/2012 Mod 2 PASSED! --> Cb500s[/s] Revoked Sad

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have leather jeans and textile jacket/textile trousers.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:08 - 20 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

open wrote:
Do a good set of textiles give you abrasion resistance?

Does a cheap set of leathers?

On a UK road, you're unlikely to slide very far before you hit something, which has its good and bad points. Neutral

I'd love to see an independent test of leather vs cordura vs kevlar, but the only thing I can find is a very indirect mention of a 1989(!) test. Anyone got anything more recent, other than pointing out the bleedin' obvious that all track racers use leather? (And are there any exceptions?)

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 21 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all equally good as each other in the same crash situations i.e. falling off on a roundabout. Kevlar jeans didn't abrade through one bit at 20-30mph... My textile jacket and trousers under the same scenario wore through in non-critical areas such as the pockets. Needless to say, the bits which touch down, elbows and hips were fine.

I USED to love wearing my 1 piece everywhere... until I realised wearing a bag to carry your change of clothes completely ruins the point of the mobility of a 1 piece suit.

Winning combination for me -leather racing jacket + kevlar jeans = practical in summer, protective, and looks pretty damn cool.

In terms of wetness, you'd only be fully waterproof if you wear gortex kit. In leathers, you'd wish you had a wetsuit. Perforated leathers make things worse, but in my case, if you're already wet, there isn't really a saying of "you'll get wetter"... only saturated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

parkmoy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:43 - 21 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one store's online advert the guy was talking about leathers v textiles. He said the great advantage of leathers was that they slide well unlike textiles.

Now, I can see the advantage of sliding on a track where there is no street furniture to hit but on ordinary roads?

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 21 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkmoy wrote:
In one store's online advert the guy was talking about leathers v textiles. He said the great advantage of leathers was that they slide well unlike textiles.

Now, I can see the advantage of sliding on a track where there is no street furniture to hit but on ordinary roads?

Leathers have a much higher abraision rate than a textile set. Now imagine if you will. A track surface is designed to be smooth yet grippy at the same time so thousands of pounds is invested in research to provide the best grip on the smoothest surface possible. Of course normal roads are designed to provide grip and be hard wearing at the same time therefore the texture is far different.

Imagine if you will a cheesegrater road comparison thingy. A track would look like this:

https://leifheitusamedia.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/lrplmicrocutgrater003014.jpg

Nice fine little perforations so the bike tyre skips over it with ease.

In comparison a road would look like this:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MQsRsvpxURM/TMcAopyguoI/AAAAAAAAANc/DdOiJFb52Eg/s1600/grater.JPG

Hard wearing and coarse surface to give grip in all weathers. Given the choice I'd rather have a higher abraision rating on the road than I would on the track.

multijoy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 21 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better question would be "what type of crash am I most likely to be involved in?"

This 2004 DFT study suggests that the most common type of accident was a ROWV, or 'right of way violation', at 34%, followed by overtaking accidents, which don't appear to have the 'sliding for miles' component. (page 41)

Whilst abrasion is always an issue when you find yourself sliding down the road (even a 20mph off made me glad that the outer cordura got a bit of a roughing up rather than my skin), chances are you're not talking about the 100mph slides that you'd see on a racetrack.

It didn't break the type of accidents down into speeds (that I saw, on a quick skim), but it's quite interesting, especially the bit about ROWVs and hi-vis/running lights.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2