Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Carrera Road bike - Any good? Cheap!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Carrera Road bike - Any good? Cheap! Reply with quote

Halfrauds are doing this and I need a cheap entry level road bike that wont break in ten seconds.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/carrera-tdf-limited-edition-road-bike-269-99-halfords-with-nusjun11-code-rrp-449/957599

Whaddyareckon?

ian789
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:50 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get excellent review in the cycling mags. I've got the Vanquish which is £500, if you can afford it it's worth upgrading for the shifters.

If you let Halfords build it make sure they put it together properly.

It's got 36 spokes so although the wheels will be heavy they will last.

Carrera bikes are excellent value for money but it's let down by incompetent halfords staff.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Re: Carrera Road bike - Any good? Cheap! Reply with quote

garth wrote:
cheap entry level road bike

This is that.
garth wrote:
wont break in ten seconds

Ah. Well, the two are apparently mutually connected. At this level the components are just shocking, and will probably fail soon...
IMHO road bikes start at £500, either at Hellfrauds or more preferably your local bike shop (referred to as LBS in cycling nobs circles)

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's reduced from 449 originally, I cannae really afford much more, unless I go 2nd hand.

I've reserved one anyway, I don't need to collect it I'll read some reviews.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Carrera road bike and am generally happy with it.

It did however have wheels that had repeated spoke snappages. A good moan saw them replaced, for free, with Mavic Aksium race wheels - so cant really gripe at that. Front deraileur mounting plate appears to be made of cheese and has been hammered back into shape twice in the 2 years I have had it.

Personally, dont let Halfords build it, build it yourself. Mine was a display model and allegedly serviced by the branch manager.

Lets just say that if I hadn't noticed the front brake block being lined up to rub the tyre instead of the wheel, then things could have got quite tasty as I live at the bottom of a nice steep hill. Setting up gears does not seem to be a skill they have either.

Also, not sure if it is the same on the cheaper road bikes but mine did not come with pedals. I'm not sure if you are expected to propell the bike via the power of thought, but it may be another expense you werent planning on.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Also, not sure if it is the same on the cheaper road bikes but mine did not come with pedals. I'm not sure if you are expected to propell the bike via the power of thought, but it may be another expense you werent planning on.

Most road riders have SPD pedals, which vary with manufacturer (Shimano, LOOK, etc), so providing pedals is pointless, people just keep their pedals from bike to bike.

IMO that bike is too basic for even me. The Aluminium frame and fork will be harsh - you really want a carbon fork with an alu frame to smooth it out a bit. The chainset, at 16 speed indicates it is very, very bargain basement. It's not the number of gears which would worry me, but rather the fact that such a product exists anymore would mean that it must be super low end.

Mine is 18 speed, and is at least 10 years old. I've never come across a 16 speed one before. Most now are 20 speed.

Personally I'd go 2nd hand every time, you'll get much more bike for your money.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only going to be doing 14 miles a day if that makes any difference... I did it for a month on a BMX, so, ahem. Laughing

Reviews seem good, contrary to the above.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a billion times better than a BMX, a million times better than an MTB, but not anywhere near as good as a 5 year old Alu frame/carbon fork trek/specialized/giant road bike from fleabay for the same money.

CarlosCBR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-2011-VIKING-VENTOUX-TRIPLE-24SPEED-ROAD-BIKE-59cm-/230638473941?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35b31fd2d5#ht_774wt_905

Im starting off with this. Never had a road race bike before. Will let you know how it performs. Should hopefully see me right for a first time bike.

https://www.facebook.com/carl.simmonds.7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the carrera compare with the above?

Would it not be as good as a 2nd hand solely because of the carbon forks / gears? I don't know alot ( Did you guess?! ) but the gear set is still shimano.

Do carbon forks make that much difference? You can get a pair for 60 odd quid new,

njd27
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:12 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be better off finding an internet deal on wiggle, rutland cycles or evans cycles - there are some good giant and raleigh deals.

Then find a proper local bike shop and take it there rather than halfords. Just my 2p.

[edit]
But the guy who posted to buy a second hand trek or specialized from ebay is on the right track.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
It's reduced from 449 originally, I cannae really afford much more, unless I go 2nd hand.

Do you have a cycle to work scheme at your work? It could save you a load of cash. Wink

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 18:23 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
garth wrote:

Do you have a cycle to work scheme at your work? It could save you a load of cash. Wink

This, just got a bike for my mrs using this. The company claim back the vat so you save 20% instantly and then if your a 20% tax payer you save around 50% off the rest over the year.

HTH
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:04 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Decathlon store near you? They are massive in France/Spain and they do exceptionally good bikes at bargain prices. Cycling forums rave about them.

£299 gets you a road bike with an aluminium frame, carbon forks and a 24 speed bargain basement shimano groupset. You also get pedals!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/triban-3-173178017/

£499 gets you the above, but with the shimano "sora" groupset, so STI shifters where gear and brake levers are integrated and make cycling an absolute joy.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/triban-5-172072740/

14 miles a day soon adds up, i'd buy one of those over that Halfrauds shite anyday of the week.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
How does the carrera compare with the above?

Would it not be as good as a 2nd hand solely because of the carbon forks / gears? I don't know alot ( Did you guess?! ) but the gear set is still shimano.

Do carbon forks make that much difference? You can get a pair for 60 odd quid new,

Pretty much identical spec, apart from the fact the Viking is a triple (3 chainrings) instead of a double. You don't need a triple, the smallest chainring is always far too small for anything.

I'd say the carbon fork makes a huge difference. Alu frames give a harsh ride, and are 'traditionally' softened by a carbon fork, otherwise vibration and shocks through the bars make for an uncomfortable ride. I had a steelie framed bike (a Carrera in fact) before this one, and it was harsher than my current alu framed bike with the carbon fork. Especially when you consider that you're looking at having around 120psi in the tyres, which don't do much in the way of bump cushioning.

As for the gears, my only point is that the bargain basement stuff won't last as long, won't be as precise and as nice shifting, and probably need more looking after (regular adjustment etc) than the higher quality kit. Plus it will be heavier - although I don't get excited by 10grammes on a rear deraillier!

In summary, the bike you are looking at will be more than adequate for your needs, it will feel like a rocket in comparison to your other stuff and will probably last well with decent maintenance.

It's just that if you spent a bit more time looking for a 2nd hand one you'd get a better buy.

swanny
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:28 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

carerra used to be made by saracen although i dont know if its still true..

I bought the missus one 2 years back still looks like new as theyre pretty well made in comparison to my Raleigh bike.

recommended !!

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 23 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried a Carrera road bike but picked up an MTB (2008 Fury) a couple of years back and it's been great. No issues with any components and it's taken everything I've been able to throw at it with ease, I'm not a small chap.

Upshot is, while it's fashionable to trash Halfords - they certainly don't offer 'street cred' - the Carrera range tend to get OK reviews in the bike press and be reasonably well specced for the price.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Ride to work scheme, the company has one through Wiggle, but it's over an 18 month contract and I can't guarantee I won't hop on my c70 and fuck off travelling before then.

Plus, all the road bikes on wiggle are 800+! I don't need anything that amazing. If I get into it properly I'll invest some more cash into it.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good bikes the Carreras, if Halfords put it together I'd get it double checked by a Local Bike shop.

I have a Carrera Banshee X and a Carrera Vulcan and both have been cracking bikes Very Happy

njd27
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:42 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Re Ride to work scheme, the company has one through Wiggle, but it's over an 18 month contract and I can't guarantee I won't hop on my c70 and fuck off travelling before then.

Plus, all the road bikes on wiggle are 800+! I don't need anything that amazing. If I get into it properly I'll invest some more cash into it.

What's your upper budget? Hargroves have got the Specialized Langster on sale for 429 at the moment.

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?subcategory=Road+Bike+-+Sale&category=Bikes

reviewed here:
https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-specialized-bicycles-langster-09-33814/

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fixie, great for London and Norfolk, awful for anywhere there is an incline.

Last edited by D O G on 14:28 - 24 Jun 2011; edited 1 time in total

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a warning, the spokes apparently break often. I was going to buy one and read many reviews.

njd27
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:26 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
That's a fixie, great for London and Norfolk, awful for anywhere where there is an incline.

Oh damn, you're right Embarassed - they should put it under Road Bike> Nutters.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:46 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
I've not tried a Carrera road bike but picked up an MTB (2008 Fury) a couple of years back and it's been great. No issues with any components and it's taken everything I've been able to throw at it with ease, I'm not a small chap.

Upshot is, while it's fashionable to trash Halfords - they certainly don't offer 'street cred' - the Carrera range tend to get OK reviews in the bike press and be reasonably well specced for the price.

MTB's are different to road bikes especially at the sub £500 price point. As £500 won't buy you a very good road bike. £1000 can buy you an excellent road bike. MTB's generally don't offer much different as you go up in price apart from discs, cable/hydraulic and the quality of any suspension. Yes they have variable quality groupsets (gear systems), but generally they are all very similar.

With roadbikes, it is about comfort and useability.

Like has been said before Carbon forks take out a lot of the road buzz. As most people transfer knowledge from MTB's to roadbikes they instantly think "Alloy" = Quicker + Lighter. This comes at quality of comfort, there is a lot of road buzz. Infact a lot of people prefer a steel framed bike to an aluminium one as they offer a very comfortable ride. Full carbon frame takes it to another level of comfort, whilst no sacrificing the stiffness that Aluminium offers.

Also with the groupsets there is a large noticable difference. On any bike over £1000 you are going to have a decent gear system whether you have a Tiagra based groupset or a fully fledged Dura-ace groupset. However at the bottom of the range you will have bar shifters, which some people get on fine with, but most people admit that STI shifters are an absolutely revelation, being able to change gear so effortlessly is worth paying a little bit more for.

All i'm saying is that the bikes I linked too offered a lot more bang for buck than any of the equivalent Halfords models.

Jon.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

njd27 wrote:
D O G wrote:
That's a fixie, great for London and Norfolk, awful for anywhere where there is an incline.

Oh damn, you're right Embarassed - they should put it under Road Bike> Nutters.

The Langster is fairly famous in Single speed circles.

PS. I made a tag thread and it's massiveeee.

https://www.lfgss.com/thread38155.html
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2