Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1988 Kawasaki KMX 200 - A2 - rebuild/restoration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 12 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to see a dyno chart before I believe it TBH. It's like when people claim that fitting splitter plates in the carb mouth gives much better low end and throttle response. It's possible, but I cannot see big gains in my head anyway.

I'll have to throw up some pics of my pile of KMX bits lying on the floor I suppose. Still sidetracked with lots of car issues and things I want to do to get my 4wheeled toy how I want it for now.

I have been hacking my cylinder barrel to bits with a dremel and some small files etc. I think it can be saved, but I will have to get the port windows matched up where I went a bit mad and made them all jagged and lopsided. I just hope the bike will still run with Stevo's special porting mods, as I just looked at it and read a page in CMM about inlet ports written by Stan Stephens, and thought lets attack everything with the dremel until it's bigger and obviously better! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WJE
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:26 - 12 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I also saw that Stan Stephens bit in CMM, I work with 2 stroke petrol saws, and I was tempted to try on those before ever touching a bike ha ha.
Ive seen a couple of KMXs on ebay, with work done by Stan Stephens, but, Ive also heard he doesnt do that anymore? He passes the details of other friendly tuners instead.

I believe on the BDK website they have a KMX dyno graph with and without the mod. Smile

The amount of times I have seen Dangerous Dave and yourself talking about KMXs on here, and I have only just registered Smile Every time I google KMX tuning, or KMX supermoto, it comes to a thread between you 2 Cool

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:46 - 13 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said dyno chart.

showing up to 6% increase from 3.5 - 5.5.

not going to snap your neck of lol but not knocking an extra pony at 4750

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:56 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
Finally, got the KX yokes sent away to have the steerer tube modified to fit the KMX headrace bearings. Should be back in 2-3 weeks Very Happy

So, a month later and still waiting for the yokes to be done, when they should have been done by now. Plus they're getting paid a bloody good price for CNC'ing a bit of alloy up as a steerer & then pressing it into the KX yokes.

If its not done soon i'm tempted to cancel the job, rebuild the standard forks and have a bit of money for a decent rear shock.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:34 - 23 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so the USD forks are now installed, so can show a bit of work in progress. A lot still to do.

rzsteve
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:21 - 24 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Am hoping this will spur me on to getting mine sorted for spring but RZR is taking up what little spare time I have atm.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 24 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following this and it's good to see an old dirt bike getting some love!

Are you not worried about machining the steerer tube down? I'm not an expert but I would have reservations about machining something like a steerer tube down.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:37 - 24 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
Been following this and it's good to see an old dirt bike getting some love!

Are you not worried about machining the steerer tube down? I'm not an expert but I would have reservations about machining something like a steerer tube down.

Cheers for the feedback guys

I was a bit concerned myself about modifying the steerer tube, Hence I handed the yokes over to a well-respected race engineering company, to get a second opinion.

I initially asked for a new steerer tube to be custom made, however once they'd inspected the yokes they decided in this case it was not necessary.

Which was good for me as cost of cnc'ing a one-off steerer tube was making me go a bit green Shocked lol !!

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 24 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine having something like that custom made would be a bit of a hit on the old wallet!

Will you be doing any off-roading at all on it? I've had a lot of experience with mountain bikes and have snapped a few steerer tubes myself which is the only reason I ask. The trend in mountain bikes now is a bigger steerer tube or at least a flared tube which is bigger at the bottom than it is at the top.

I wouldn't be too worried about a smaller tube as stock just I'd be a bit worried about making an existing tube thinner. I'm no engineer though and I'm sure those race engineers have science to back up their work Very Happy

Keep up the good work on this bike, like I said I've been following it from the start and it's looking great.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:37 - 24 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
I can imagine having something like that custom made would be a bit of a hit on the old wallet!

Yep, it was a fair old whack, but I'd agreed to the price and given the go-ahead. When they had both yokes to compare, they felt the best course of action was to modify the KX steerer by taking 2mm off each side to accommodate the bottom bearing.

The modified KX steerer holds the same dimensions as the KMX steerer. This company make a great deal of race parts like yokes & other weight bearing components so I trust their judgement. It would have been a different story if I'd just got a garage down the road to just make the bearings fit !

Yeah, bought it for off-road use but nothing too drastic !! Got the road bike for transport, this one is for a bit of fun. A few green lanes and a few TRF outings, possibly the odd fun event, but nothing competitive.

WJE
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:43 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those forks look great on there, will work so much better than the little kmx ones!

Cant wait to see some more pics Very Happy

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:07 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

WJE wrote:
Those forks look great on there, will work so much better than the little kmx ones!

Cant wait to see some more pics Very Happy

Cheers bud. A few jobs to do before the forks can be tested, but hoping it will firm up the front end nicely.

The back end will need adjusting to suit, but as the rear shock is completely knackered it has to be replaced anyway.

Other jobs on are the strip & rebuild of the KX front brake system (seals gone) and respray of the tank in good old Kwack green. Didnt realise how many shades of this green there were, hopefully it doesnt end up glow-in-the-dark lol

rzsteve
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:24 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least if the tank glows in the dark, you wont need to wear a fluorescent jacket! I know what you mean about the green (poetry?) though as mine has a powdercoated tank and it stands out badly!

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha went for this stuff in the end

Apico Fast Finish Universal Acrylic Paint - KX Green

As far as I can see there are at least two official shades of KX green. It became more flouro in the late '90s I think.

Not sure what it's going to be like, have a mixture of painted and bare plastic on the bike at the moment.

I did consider getting something mixed up, but had some done at Halfords for another bike, the match was terrible.

WJE
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:13 - 12 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit, may be a bit late on this< dont know if you saw my Facebook status about rsbikepaints.com .

You enter your bike, and they have the paint.
Just got some footpeg silver off them to do my swingarm and silver bits. If they dont have the right colour under the model, try a diff year Smile

Very VERY helpful firm, and based just down the road from me Smile

steady eddie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:40 - 02 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

More!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:11 - 09 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

recieved a master cylinder rebuild kit so hoping to get the front brake set up on weekend soon.

the tank needs to be resprayed before that can go back on. then can fasten everything up and do some testing of the suspension.

the rear shock has had it so this could put a dampner on things (lol)

have a couple of old kmx shocks kicking about but doubt these are much better, so some work to be done there.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:56 - 18 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, won a KXF250 Renthal unbreakable clutch lever and perch on eBay. Kind of unneccesary purchase but have difficulty resisting these blingy bits lol.

project been stalled over winter but should get going now its warming up outside.

what is annoying that there's a bit of a leak from the left hand USD. Evil or Very Mad didn't seem to reappear when i wiped it away. The forks has a bit of stiction to them, not too bad, but not great either. Figure at some point soon they'll want a strip, clean, new oil and new seals.

As far as the rear sus goes, nearly bought a Hagon rear shock for it which was going cheap, but it was for the KMX125. When I spoke to Hagon themselves, they said the KMX200 shock has a different end on it. So for the time being will try the spare 200 gas shock i have here.

To correct the geometry of the bike after adding the longer forks, I need to find a pair of shorter "dog bones" or suspension links, to raise the back by roughly 2". I saw somebody made their own on here recently, which was pretty impressive. I've been looking at other bikes for linkages of the same size etc. If all else fails il make up something roughly and get a local engineering company to machine something up properly.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:05 - 19 May 2013    Post subject: Tanks alot Reply with quote

Been away for a while a while excuses excuses !

Worked on the tank yesterday. Got it looking pretty reasonable after filled in a large dent behind the filler cap. Think somebody must have ruined their wedding tackle on it at some point.

Now the front master cylinder is doing my suede in. Have had it in bits, used a rebuild kit, bled it to death, lever zip tied to the bar all night, and I still can't get a solid feel at the lever. Mad

Its a '99 KX 125 master cylinder, not the best year for KX brakes apparently but I shouldn't be able to pull the lever back to the bar. Brake hose is a brand new Goodridge braided hose. Its mated to the standard KX Nissin 2-pot calliper.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:31 - 20 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more on this today.

Earlier on in the thread i looked at ways of raising back of the bike to correct the geometry after adding the longer fork. I've raised it by 1.5 inches by using an alternative tie-rod in the rear suspension linkage.

Also a while ago a member sent me another rear suspension unit, for FREE !! Andy K - Kudos !! I've given this a clean up so I can see if it is an improvement on the pogo stick which somebody had disguised as a shock absorber.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:23 - 21 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I fitted the alternative rear shock today to test the condition. Worked a treat, damping adjuster working etc so massive win and good improvement for now.

When I ride the bike I'll be able to test out the suspension and make any adjustments needed. I'm not expecting to combine suspension from two different bikes and expect it to work perfectly straight away.

The current back wheel has seen better days, the usual rot around the spokes getting to it now. I picked up a better wheel a while back with knackered bearings so set about getting these out and replaced with new ones. All was fine until I lost the a circlip and spent half hour sifting through all the scrapings on the floor of the garage for it. My world was good again when it was found and returned to its rightful place in the hub.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:32 - 29 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called it a day with the spongey KX125 master cylinder, and went for a DRZ400 one instead, which has a larger capacity. Used the braided hose & matched up to the KX brake caliper.

After bleeding out, this brake setup worked fantastically so looking forward to testing that properly. Of course now the back brake feels weak !!

Finished spraying the tank, including 4 coats of lacquer followed by 2 coats of petrol resistant lacquer. Overall it seems a good finish, although the colour match wasn't the best.

Also managed to find another KMX 200 exhaust with a lot less weld and rust in it than my current one, which cleaned up pretty well, so have bolted that on.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:39 - 26 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT booked for 10.30am tomorrow

The bike is coming back together well, with a few problems.

With the increased height of the bike with the taller suspension, it leans over further on the side stand, meaning the carb continuously leaks fuel. No quick fix for this, may have to modify the side stand.

Simple solution would be to turn off the fuel, apart from ....... the fuel tap has now given up, and doesn't fully turn off Mad , my Dad resorting to trying to make up a rubber insert for it before the MOT.

Also, bought a chain guard for, but being off a 125, doesn't fit, as the swingarm is different Mad

zbraff
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:34 - 25 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news Dave?

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:12 - 27 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbraff wrote:
Any news Dave?

Well it went through the MOT first time which was a good result after the fork change etc.

Been out a couple of times testing out the suspension, just around back lanes with the odd bit of off-road. I really like the set up, feels completely different from stock. The wider handlebars help as well. The USD forks inspire confidence, keeping the bike stable and go where it is pointed over rough ground.

The replacement rear shock is an improvement too, with reasonable damping. Makes me appreciate how horrible the old worn out shock was.

The motor has been running in well, straight away I noticed the difference in power between it now and how it was before the rebuild. In particular the midrange response is much snappier, and goes on to produce a much improved top-end pull.

Next thing to do with the bike is fitting a Mikuni TMX 30 carb, which from the research I've done and the recommendations I've had, is one of the best all-around upgrades for the KMX 200. I've had some advice about installation and jetting already so I'll make a start with that, and see how well it works.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6