Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB-1... Use and abuse? or fix and keep?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: CB-1... Use and abuse? or fix and keep? Reply with quote

So I'm now a proud owner of a Honda CB-1, only paid 460 quid for it, but she's not in the greatest condition...
Frame has been repainted with underlying rust (Not severe, but still there)
Exhaust mount on the frame has snapped but exhaust is secure with other 2 mounting points.
Fuel tank is weeping slightly at the seam
Engine is sounding tappety too and is shim adjustment so that needs sorting.
Idle is slightly uneven and lumpy so carbs need sorting

Thing is, these bikes are becoming pretty rare from what I can see... and I'm unsure what to do. I'd hate to be partly responsible for there being no CB-1's left, but at the same time cash flow is an issue...

So I put it to you guys... Would you ride it into the ground, doing everythin you can to keep it legal until it just wont live anymore?
Or would you slowly fix it up and try to make a good useable possibly "Soon to be" classic?

I'm really torn on this =/

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:30 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balance the carbs and see if the noise settles down.

You'll need to do something about the fuel tank before the next MOT.

In my oppinion, they are nothing spectacular. A Universal Japanese Motorcycle. A well put together one but still nothing earth shattering.

I'd keep it serviceable and ride the thing, it'll just turn into a money vortex otherwise. If you want to spend time, effort and money doing something up, find something either rare or unusual.

They undoubtedly will become a "classic" but I for one will be laughing at people sat there at shows with one concourse polished when they do. In a similar way to people doing it with superdreams and BSA bantams. It would be like restoring an old Nissan Bluebird to concourse condition. They were good cars but only from the point of view of getting you to and from wherever you were going.

There aren't many of them over here but they are like flies around shit in Japan. Mate of mine went to Tokyo and said there are entire shops that sell nothing but tarty bolt-on bits for CB1s, she came back with a set of patent leather CB1 badged handlebar muffs. Sick

They had a very limited release in the UK, most of the ones you see are Japanese grey imports (like your one, kph speedo). People import a container load every so often.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, i would fix everything that needs fixing.
But i'm able to do the work myself, so it would cost a lot less than farming it out to a bike shop.

If you dont want it, i might be interested.
Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:
If it were me, i would fix everything that needs fixing.
But i'm able to do the work myself, so it would cost a lot less than farming it out to a bike shop.

If you dont want it, i might be interested.
Thumbs Up

I love the bike Razz I love the way it rides and the power delivery is pretty smooth Smile I can do some of the work myself... but not all of it... I've rebuilt engines in the past but none as complicated as this, usually just single cylinder bikes

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've always really liked these for their non-pretentious good looks I have to say make it nice and treat it well.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:18 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you bought it for transport? You're going to land up with it in bits all over your garage and your mum will be pissed off at having forked out for some of it then still having to run you about the place.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:28 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by your track record.....
Neglect, abuse destroy....
Love Cherish, heartache, deceased.....
I don't think your 'intentions' will make that much difference!
Que cera cera!
A FEW things I think you ought to contemplate are your long 'fun runs'... so far its been one of your 'adventures' that has seen previouse bikes demises.
Maintenence, and getting on top of routine servicing; oil changes, engine, AND fork oil... greasing and lubing bearings, rear suspension, head race etc. Simply get 'on top' of all that, and keep ahead of it, but use opportunity, like when you have rear suspension linkage apart to 'touch up' where you can bits that are a bit flakey, like swing arm.
But main thing, get religiouse in your diligence to oil and fluid checks and control adjustments BEFORE you ride the damn thing.....
And get a BIT less enthusiastic with it when you do.....
THIS one shouldn't NEED to be thrashed full throttle for long periods to get anywhere.... BUT its still not got HUGE reserves... it only has little 100cc cylinders remember..... traeat it with a BIT of sympathy..... its no spring chicken, and it may LIKE to rev to 13K but you don't HAVE to take it there EVERY gear change..... kind of thing....
Enjoy, but dont take it for granted, learn its foibles and limitations, but dont abuse what it has got... and see how it goes.....
Keep on top of routine maintenence, and it will become routine, and doing a 'bit' here and there to 'improve' its standard, over time, it will get to a place where it can become a keeper....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Mate of mine went to Tokyo and said there are entire shops that sell nothing but tarty bolt-on bits for CB1s, she came back with a set of patent leather CB1 badged handlebar muffs. Sick

Please post a picture of your mates muff. This I have to see.

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I like that about you, you're painfully honest =P

I have a cycle with bikes that repeats itself...

1. Purchase
2. "OMG! THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING EVER!"
3. Spot a small job that needs doing "NOOO! MY BIKE IS RUINED AND NEEDS AN OVERHAUL!"
4. Seek advice from bcf...
5. Dont listen to aforementioned advice
6. Fuck it up.
7. Fix it.
8. "YAY! I'M SO PROUD!"
9. Bike develops serious fault
10. "OMG THIS BIKE IS SO UNREALIABLE!"
11. Sell.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:36 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, for the love of god, service it, keep it running.

Its a good bike, people would kill to have a CB-1... especially the guy sleeping on my floor Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said, they aren't anything special, but i do have a soft spot for them. I think they have one of the meanest looking engines out there. If it were me id do what im doing now, riding the thing whilst restoring it. sacrifice a couple of weekends in the garage with a tin of hammerite and get the alloy polished up, it will look miles better for it. Remember, Elbow grease is free.
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 10:49 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmn, I was going to be lugging my CB-1 off to the scrapyard this weekend, but think I may be tempted to "restore" it back to good condition.

Quote:
Fuel tank is weeping slightly at the seam

If you're local I've got a spare tank you can have, it could probably use a respray but it's solid

Quote:
Engine is sounding tappety too and is shim adjustment so that needs sorting.

Checking and adjusting the valve clearances on a CB-1 is relatively easy (thanks to the gear driven cams)

Quote:
Idle is slightly uneven and lumpy so carbs need sorting

Check the valve clearances, then get the carb's balanced up (once again if you're local, I can lend you my vacuum guages)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how the engine sounds at the moment... from cold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ze8cOrFcv0
EDIT: According to a LOT of people, I'm hearing things and that sounds completely fine... I guess I'm just not used to multi-cylinder bikes

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:24 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you can clearly hear the cam noise?

All bikes, atleast older ones...run like bags of spanners until they are warm.

Take Nemo's XJ600, K reg... bag of spanners, fires really bad and revs fluctuate... but after being on for about 5 minutes and riding it around, its as smooth as my bike.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB-1's are rare as rocking horse shit these days contrary to what people seem to think. They were never officially imported to the UK, the nearest was Germany.

They only made them for two years and made two different models side by side. There is the US version where the pillion footrest hangers are part of the frame and the rest of the world version where they are separate bolt on parts.

The noise you can hear is worn cam gears, tends to happen on bikes that haven't been looked after very well but will probably last forever or at least 20k any way.

I've never quite understood why but people seem to confuse CB-1's with CB400's even though they are completely different bikes, the CB-1 being superior in many ways. The most obvious difference is the engine on the CB-1 is downdraught.

US version.

https://www.cb-1.com/frames/cb1.jpg

Rest of world.

https://www.dvmoto.ru/images/honda_img/27.02.2007/cb-1/cb-1(2).jpg

CB400

https://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Honda/2009_CB400/CB400_Blue_RHS_800p.jpg

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought the cb400 'superfour' was one of the best looking bikes made.
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Sickpup... what would you say? Fixer-upper? or run into ground?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:40 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleHonda50 wrote:
So, Sickpup... what would you say? Fixer-upper? or run into ground?

Run it and if one turns up stick another engine in it.

Johnser
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:22 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go through a complete service and run it as a scruffy but mechanically sound bike. The tank might set you back a bit but general service items are cheap and procedures simple. then just stick to regular service intervals and I bet it will last ok with negligible depreciation until you want to sell it. waxoyl on rusty spots will help slow rust.

Just jumping on and riding; never check/changing oil e.t.c is asking a bit much, it might be ok for a honda cub, or your lawnmower, but this is a different animal.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
The most obvious difference is the engine on the CB-1 is downdraught.

I can't be the only one curious as to what a downdraught engine is, could you enlighten me please? Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:24 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:

I can't be the only one curious as to what a downdraught engine is, could you enlighten me please? Smile

It's the carburettor. The air goes down through the venturi instead of across.

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnser wrote:
Why not go through a complete service and run it as a scruffy but mechanically sound bike. The tank might set you back a bit but general service items are cheap and procedures simple. then just stick to regular service intervals and I bet it will last ok with negligible depreciation until you want to sell it. waxoyl on rusty spots will help slow rust.

Just jumping on and riding; never check/changing oil e.t.c is asking a bit much, it might be ok for a honda cub, or your lawnmower, but this is a different animal.

Oh dont worry, I intend to service it and such, but I mean run it as cheaply as I can whilst keeping within service intervals and such...
Besides, I'm too much of an oilchange/plug-change freak. I'd do those twice a week if I could =P
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1