BCF: Bike Chat Forums

600 Hornets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: 600 Hornets Reply with quote

After doing a few quotes on 'big' bikes after my crash last week, it's pretty obvious I can no longer afford to insure a thou' sportsbike at the moment.

And to be honest seeing as I mainly commute on my bikes, with the odd longer ride here and there, I dont even need a bike like that anymore anyway (as much as I want one).

I've always liked the look of Hornet's, and they'd be pretty much ideal for what I need. What sort of money should I be looking to pay for a decent example? I'm hoping to get around £2K for what's left of the blade. Anything I need to look out for? I understand they had a 16" front like the Blade, which made it a pain for tyres, do a lot of owners convert them to 17's? If not, is it cheaper to do than on the Blades?

Cheers for any info, Thumbs Up

Hywel
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:42 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Hornet, it's a bit of a shed but every time I start shopping for bikes I'll realise that the motor is bulletproof, it's a fast little bugger and It'll serve me for years if I look after it.

The 16" wheel does limit tyre choice, but there are plenty of wheels out there to swap it with, saying that you may like the feel of it... bikes made in the year 2000 and onwards have the 17" front as standard anyway.

Fuel consumption is average, comfort and riding position are fine and the engine is very revvy but smooth, so it's pretty good if you (like me) have a 30 or 40 odd mile round trip to and from work, but it would probably be a pain in the arse as a tourer, or if you regularly did hundreds of miles at a time.

Mine has the small tank so range isn't its strong point (looking for a fuel station at 100 miles), but there’s a much bigger aftermarket tank available which is an easy straight-swap.

Look out for bikes with lots of cheap aftermarket replacement cack, they’re very popular with modifiers, so buy one as standard as possible.

It’s a sweet little basic, thrashy naked, but before pulling the trigger, I wouldn’t rule out a mk1 Fazer600 or an old Bandit1200 (same insurance group as the Hornet6 I think) if I were you.

www.hondahornet.com (owners forum)
https://www.huntsmotorcycles.co.uk/NewsItems/NewsHornet600.htm (Some model history)

EDIT: Oh and money wise, good standard examples hold their value so expect to pay over two grand for even the older low-ish mileage bikes. Of course though, there are higher mileage examples in worse nick (that will still run forever with regular maintenance) for a lot less. Have a scan through Biketrader and MCN to get an idea.

calyx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hywel wrote:
looking for a fuel station at 100 miles

Fuck me sideways Shocked

100 miles is moped territory...

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the early model tank?

I get 145 miles out of my CBR's 18L tank before the fuel light comes on and that leaves enough for a good 30-40 miles until empty.

Clayton32
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:48 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:

I get 145 miles out of my CBR's 18L tank before the fuel light comes on and that leaves enough for a good 30-40 miles until empty.

Specs say 16L however i can only get around 13-14l in mine.

To swap from the 16inch front to 17 you will also need the brake discs.

They are great all round bikes, common problems include reg/rec and cct.

Hywel
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:17 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

calyx wrote:
Hywel wrote:

Fuck me sideways Shocked

Innit! When I re-fill I'll usually put in 12L max to brim it so I guess there's more to give, and I get somewhere between 35 and 40mpg. If a big tank pops up on ebay for cheap I might nab it.

I'm sure I could stretch it out but I remember conking out at about 93miles one day after a sunny morning of giving it some welly and I've been a bit paranoid about fuel consumption ever since.

Hywel
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:21 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

cg125honda wrote:
DonnyBrago wrote:

Specs say 16L however i can only get around 13-14l in mine.

To swap from the 16inch front to 17 you will also need the brake discs.

They are great all round bikes, common problems include reg/rec and cct.

How many miles do you get between fills by the way?

Souleh
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:25 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 miles per tank.. same as my zx6r lol

Clayton32
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:13 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hywel wrote:

Hi,

Cant remember as ive not been riding it much recently due to the pruchase of a 2001 zx6r, but i seem to remember the furthest i got was around 125miles inc reserve, all motorway miles.

Usually get 80miles from £10 before going onto reserve, thats 129.7p a litre.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

calyx wrote:
Hywel wrote:

Fuck me sideways Shocked

Ride like a granny and you'll get 110+ on a long run.

I've done touring, commuting, scratching and trackdays on mine. Love it Thumbs Up

Fairly indestructible, though if you crash at the front end clocks are hideously expensive. The motor is bombproof and makes for an easy to live with commuter below 6k and gets more interesting from 7-8k. 95bhp may not hold a candle to your thou but given the price/fun factor its about right. The frame is decent enough but the suspension is decidedly budget. The front is undersprung and over-damped and the rear was taken from a pogostick. In spite of this it is comfy, the riding position seems to suit a lot of people and it has let me get away with a lot. With a lot of hanging off I can now get my knee fairly regularly too. The head will shake when you push on too hard over crappy surfaces but nothing really too alarming.

Suggested mods:

Brakes - pads of your choice and braided lines help things considerably. Blackbird master cylinder is also an option. Stock they are decidedly average.

A 44T rear sprocket is a worthwhile investment and livens up acceleration considerably. Don't worry about top end, it gets scary above 130mph and thats hardly the point of a naked bike. Wheelies become easy and the speedo inaccurate.

Forks - fresh oil and springs to suit your weight. Otherwise a CBR600 front end with 4 pot calipers drops in with little effort.

Screens look gay and make motorway riding bearable if you're a big poof.

A hugger is a necessity as the rear shock quickly turns to crap.

Renthal bars are great; far stronger than stock which will just fold up in a crash (found out the hard way) and improve the riding position. Slightly more weight on the front improves the handling too.

As mentioned by Hywel, the Hornet's Nest is a good source of information.

Search for Big_Ham's Hornet guide too Wink

T0MMY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just get a CBR600 steelie? They seem to be as cheap or even cheaper than hornets and to be fair are probably better in every measurable way plus you don't have to worry about 16 inch front wheels.

Clayton32
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:46 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

T0MMY wrote:
Why not just get a CBR600 steelie? They seem to be as cheap or even cheaper than hornets and to be fair are probably better in every measurable way plus you don't have to worry about 16 inch front wheels.

Possibly not insurance wise, costs me £500 to insure the hornet 19 0ncb license since jan 2011.

CBRs ranged from £1000-2300, obviously all down to personal circumstances.

T0MMY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the steelies? I've always found them very cheap to insure.

sepher
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was after a ZX6R for first bike but choose a honda hornet instead as the insurence was ridiculous. Anyhow I managed to get a 1999 hornet for under a grand, with tax and MOT on. Had to replace the battery and alternator casing mind, but its a brilliant bike.

Petrol doesn't last long, must agree there... run out on an A road once, and just had to roll to a stop while everyone around me was wondering what the hell I was doing Laughing

Can do alot to the hornet as well, rear huggers and belly pans look awsome on them and as someone else has said Renthals give you a better position on the bike - looking into that for my next mod.

The very first MOD (if you have it or if it hasn't been changed already) is get rid of that hidious number plate/mud guard on the back and put smaller indicators on! Thumbs Up

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelie CBR's are around the same price as Hornets, Fazers to insure. Well for me anways and I'm 17.

The later CBR's however are a LOT more expensive.

Hornets are a good choice, check out the Fazer to as if it's a work horse your after the Fazer has slightly better wind protection at motorway speeds. Other than that they are pretty much the same. Also Fazers are a little cheaper.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

0l0dom0l0 wrote:

Hornets are a good choice, check out the Fazer to as if it's a work horse your after the Fazer has slightly better wind protection at motorway speeds. Other than that they are pretty much the same. Also Fazers are a little uglier.

EFA Wink

Hywel
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:17 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

cg125honda wrote:
Hywel wrote:

Hi,

Cant remember as ive not been riding it much recently due to the pruchase of a 2001 zx6r, but i seem to remember the furthest i got was around 125miles inc reserve, all motorway miles.

Usually get 80miles from £10 before going onto reserve, thats 129.7p a litre.

Sounds about the same as mine. I thought there was something wrong with my fuelling or whatever before I went online and found that it was normal. I do really love that motor though.

Tavares
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:53 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the fuel economy point, i have a 2002 hornet 6 (not sure on exact tank size) i'm currently at 124 miles and i'm not on reserve yet. thats mainly twisty riding with a little bit of bypass riding.

they're a good bike, only thing i couldn't get on with were the handlebars so i've swapped to some 'renthal ultra lows'. really enjoying riding it at the moment.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Some useful information up there, Thumbs Up.

The reason I'm after one is that I loved my little CB-1 I had before, and they seem to be the big brother so I'm sure I'll like it. I'll probably also look at CBR6's, see if anything nice turns up. I'd like to get the 900 Hornet, but I've heard there rare as rocking horse shit, and I doubt would be much cheaper than the Blade to insure anyway.

Would prefer to get a later one if they have a 17", save any fannying about when it comes to getting tyres for it, was a pain in the arse on the Blade to be honest.

Also, with regards my insurance, do I lose all my NCB? I just assumed that as I'd claimed I'd automatically lose it (2 years, would of been 3 next month), but some people are saying that you may only lose 50% or so. I really have no idea how it all works.

Cheers.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: 600 Hornets Reply with quote

RobW1983 wrote:
After doing a few quotes on 'big' bikes after my crash last week, it's pretty obvious I can no longer afford to insure a thou' sportsbike at the moment.

LIER! Honda VTR1000F is just as cheap to insure as a god dam Hornet.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:

You flatter me. Most of the stuff you need to look out for has already been covered. Yellow ones have 3bhp more. Razz

QM
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:19 - 16 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid a grand for my 03 Hornet thinking I would pass my test first time Sad

Been offered £2300 for it but won't sell it even though it has been stood unused for a just over a year.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 16 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Slacker24seven wrote:

You flatter me. Most of the stuff you need to look out for has already been covered. Yellow ones have 3bhp more. Razz

Shush, everyone knows the blue ones are fastest.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1