Crap bikes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Crap bikes. Reply with quote

Hi

Just want to see if I'm alone here or not.

I like crap bikes. Bikes that are cheap, that you don't bother cleaning, don't mind if they get scratched, and although mechanically uptogether, fundamentally are crap.

I own a 7,000 mile 07 plate Versys and it's immaculate. Yet I'm worried about the bloody thing. I'm considering selling it and buying something half the value just so I don't really care about it so much.

Madness?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:01 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had more fun on my TDM after it was filthy and smashed in abit I have just spent a fortune replacing parts and cleaing it up I won't be ragging it as much!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:07 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a CLR125 that I really wont care about dropping, crashing etc.

Mechanically its great, aesthetically its rancid Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more with this, it's so liberating not giving a shit about it. My ZX6R has been down the road on both sides (I bought it like that) and I couldn't care less every time I scrape it getting it through my tiny garden gate. It makes it a lot easier to push harder on trackdays... on the first one I did I couldn't believe how many shiny new 10 and 11 plate bikes were going round. Sod that, given that at least 2 or 3 bikes seem to go down at each one.

I'd hate to have a car that was significantly devalued by every door ding it picked up in a supermarket carpark too.

I've got 2 cars and 2 bikes and they're all mechanically sound but cosmetically challenged.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: Crap bikes. Reply with quote

garth wrote:
I'm considering selling it and buying something half the value just so I don't really care about it so much.

Buy an ER5, because there is no way anyone could love one, and if they say they do, they are lying.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the reasons why I sold my versys - despite the fact I loved it and had covered the plastics in black electrical tape to stop scratches, it'd still get knocks here and there and nowt you can really do about it. So I sold it after 8 months of ownership and got a tatty gsxr1000 instead. Much more fun.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why dirt bikes / supermotos are good. If it's filthy and bashed up a bit, you've been using it properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the GPZ, I made sure it was mechanically sound, but ragged it almost everywhere Twisted Evil Best fun on two wheels so far!!

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:51 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a bike new enough to have to worry about it Thumbs Up

Although people denting my car in car parks drives me insane Evil or Very Mad especially when i've parked miles from anyone only to come back and find a chav mobile alongside!

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love rats. I personally spend my money putting fuel in the tank and mechanically servicing the things, not polishing and looking at them.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: Crap bikes. Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
garth wrote:
I'm considering selling it and buying something half the value just so I don't really care about it so much.

Buy an ER5, because there is no way anyone could love one, and if they say they do, they are lying.

Lmfao i could of told you that before your bought one, they are dull boring and thats why they are used as get to work bikes haha.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:37 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost wrote:
This is why dirt bikes / supermotos are good. If it's filthy and bashed up a bit, you've been using it properly.

Heh. Check the Chinese monstrosity in my sig.

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:39 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: Crap bikes. Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Hi

Just want to see if I'm alone here or not.

I like crap bikes. Bikes that are cheap, that you don't bother cleaning, don't mind if they get scratched, and although mechanically uptogether, fundamentally are crap.

I own a 7,000 mile 07 plate Versys and it's immaculate. Yet I'm worried about the bloody thing. I'm considering selling it and buying something half the value just so I don't really care about it so much.

Madness?

Let me know if you decide to sell it. Thumbs Up

NicWilson
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:13 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Frost wrote:

Heh. Check the Chinese monstrosity in my sig.

After reading that thread I really wanna hear that thing with the *far too loud* exhaust on it Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:20 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicWilson wrote:
After reading that thread I really wanna hear that thing with the *far too loud* exhaust on it Laughing

If you value your hearing at all, you don't. Trust me. The can itself really doesn't achieve anything other than to look like there's an exhaust on there. Has absolutely no silencing abilities whatsoever. Spits a fair bit of flame on the overrun, though*.

*For a 125, that is. I know of an I4 650 that can fart fireballs.

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I said that about the latest acquisition of mine, a 95 CBR600F but I get all emotionally attached to things ffs.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

NicWilson
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:30 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pff, my hearing is already shot. A little more noise can't hurt. I'm addicted to noise Razz

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: Crap bikes. Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Madness?

No Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:26 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty happy with bikes that I could leave in a ditch and still walk away smiling.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: Crap bikes. Reply with quote

garth wrote:

Cool...can I get first dibs??

p.s. has the tank been sold yet??

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 14 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: Crap bikes. Reply with quote

TUG wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:

Lmfao i could of told you that before your bought one, they are dull boring and thats why they are used as get to work bikes haha.

The only reason I bought it is I needed reliable transport for the job I was starting in four days time.

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more.

I now have the GSX back, that'll be my hack, and i've got the shiny CBR to keep as my pride and joy.

Feels so much better when you can really push a bike without caring too much about it going down

Dunc

I was MrDunkable in a previous life. Then questioned why I was the one being dunked...

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: Crap bikes. Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

The only reason I bought it is I needed reliable transport for the job I was starting in four days time.

There you go, proven my point. Laughing

CBR600F for me next, loverly bikes.

Hywel
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:31 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same, I have a '98 Hornet which is a bit minging. I'm thinking of spending some money on the brakes and rear shock to make it a bit more reassuring, but the odd scratch and ding give it character. So long it feels nice to ride and is mechanically sound, I couldn't give a shite about it's appearance.

If it got nicked or written off, Id probably buy an even tattier CB500 as a basic get-to-work-and-back mobile.

I’d need to be earning a certain amount and be living in a certain type of area to justify getting a nice “pride and joy” to be honest.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 15 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5521/picture005rp.jpg

FAR too clean!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2