Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NEED HELP WITH DNA 50 AGAIN!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ashh v
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:36 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: NEED HELP WITH DNA 50 AGAIN! Reply with quote

Hey, i have a dna 50 unrestricted.

Right, when i go to pull away, it pulls at around 4500-5000rpm, then takes absolutley ages to reach top speed, but it wont go past 7000-8000rpm at full, and soon as i reach the slightest one degree incline, the bike will just start losing power, rpm will reduce, and speed plummets down. I have absolutley no idea whats wrong. Also i have done a few plug chops, and its running extremely rich, (blacker than black plug) and it has a 75 main jet in, so i bought a 68 and it was running too lean, then i bought a 70 cos thats all they had, and it started to cough and do strange things to me. Would appreciate it if there was brilliant help out there, cos ive heard these bikes go about 59 unrestricted stock, and im getting 30-40 on flat, 50 at a push down a mile long steep hill. hmm thanks (ALSO BY SAYING IT PLUMMETS, I MEAN I GO ABOUT 15MPH MAYBE LESS!!)

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:20 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah my 50 DNA did 45 on flats and 50 down hills, up hills was 25ish.

They have an automatic choke on the DNA so i would first check that isn't sticking on before ripping everythign else apart.

If its running rich and the jet size is stock then the choke sticking on is a safe first bet. I would only suggest you check this via workshop manual and that you are good with spanners, if not walk away.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:55 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Not done a 50 but quite a few 125's. The autochoke is a known problem on these, there is a manual choke replacement available, but.
All the ones that have had the sticky choke problem has been down to the electrical connector to the choke becoming full of crud. It is located on the exhaust side, right in the firing line of road muck from the back wheel. (I seem to recall two connectors around there, give them both a good clean and fill with dialectric grease). It works on raw AC from the alternator melting a wax slug that then releases the choke, any poor connection will leave the choke on all the time you are running, causing exactly your problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:12 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above and check your air filter is clean and unobstructed.

ashh v
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:57 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the choke is stuck, that means it would be stuck in the bottom position, or if it wasn't functioning correctly, so if thats the case, why would the bike be running rich, because the choke would be stopping the fuel, therefore making it leaner? hmm

Regards with the jetting, it had a 56 stock in, but there is a sports exhaust so rejetted it. 75 is too rich, but 68 is extremely lean, (wont even pull away), and 70 doesn't seem to work either, it just cuts out at full throttle.

Does anyone know the operating rpm of these DNA's, such as going about 40ish mph, what rpm should it be because mine sticks at 7000rpm and if it goes down hill, the rev needle will try to go up to 9, then fall back, then go back up, etc :/

So regards to the choke issue, i dont actually think its working, because when its cold, im guessing the choke needle protracts to let more fuel through?

Thanks again, appreciate all the help. Smile

EDIT: The bike revs perfectly on the stand, straight up to 9000-10000, its as soon as its under load it won't... hmmmm

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:35 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choke makes the mixture richer Confused

The way I understand it works is that the default position for the choke is on, so that when the bike is cold etc it will start without any issues. When the engine starts current is fed into a small heater which melts a wax pellet and your choke goes off. If the choke connector is full of crud/faulty or the choke is faulty then it will be jammed on as there is no current for the heater. This will make your bike extremely rich all the time giving you the symptoms you describe.

Get a manual choke conversion for it as the electric ones are expensive and troublesome. When you have eliminated the choke from your list you can get on with the rest of it. You are never going to get the jetting right with your choke stuck on. Thumbs Up

Engines will usually rev up on the stand as there is no load on it. Mixture effects it much more under load.

The other issue it could be is that your rollers are too light / heavy for the new exhaust you have put on. Rollers should be the correct weight to allow the engine to stay in the powerband and it depends on the exhaust where in the RPM range this lies. If you haven't changed them I would contact the exhaust manufacturer and ask what they recommend.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urgh....

The choke blocks off air to make the fuel/air mixture richer. The autochoke plunger sits down to start with then when warm it will raise in theory it will know when to do this through a sensor on the engine block or the same way a thermostat works but I'm not100% certain on which it uses.

Check that the connections to the auto choke are connected and are not corroded then remove it and block off the exposed gap and try and start the bike, if it runs then you have found your issue.

ashh v
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:53 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay its not the choke, becuase its completely off and doing nothing.
thanks for the help everyone

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashh v wrote:

Choke is off and the hole blocked off?

If your 100% certain it isn't the choke then check what size jet your bike should have fitted, remove the carb and check that it is fitted, if not buy one and fit. Again check what the needle height should be then check yours and set it (thats if it even has an adjustable needle).

Are you sure it is a rich mixture blacking the plug and not oil?

I'd check what condition your filter is in before taking the carb apart, give it a clean with brake cleaner or hot soapy water. Strain out the water and let it dry completely. You then want to put a THIN film of oil on the filter, i must stress this, its only to stop small particles 2 or 3 small drops of 2t will be enough.

Refit filter then try running it. Check the simple stuff first.

ashh v
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:21 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

TUG wrote:
ashh v wrote:

Choke is off and the hole blocked off?

If your 100% certain it isn't the choke then check what size jet your bike should have fitted, remove the carb and check that it is fitted, if not buy one and fit. Again check what the needle height should be then check yours and set it (thats if it even has an adjustable needle).

Are you sure it is a rich mixture blacking the plug and not oil?

I'd check what condition your filter is in before taking the carb apart, give it a clean with brake cleaner or hot soapy water. Strain out the water and let it dry completely. You then want to put a THIN film of oil on the filter, i must stress this, its only to stop small particles 2 or 3 small drops of 2t will be enough.

Refit filter then try running it. Check the simple stuff first.

Thanks for your help dude, ive tried it all, and yes itr running rich as the plug is covered in petrol, the air filter is cleaner than clean.

There should be a 56 main jet, but a sports exhaust has been fitted so it ran too lean, so then upjetted to a 75 making it rich, tried a 68, to lean, far far too lean. Oh and the needle has been adjusted so it isnt running lean on the needle, its soon as full throttle is placed. No idea, thanks anyway

adamcfc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:37 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be anything to do with a weak spark? - just throwing ideas

Adam

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:01 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest question: do you Gilera pedbois receive some sort of owner's manual which recommends that you TITLE ALL YOUR FORUM POSTS IN CAPS?

I have to ask, because you all seem to do it. Frankly, I'm amazed that you put the bike in the title - usually it's just "NEED HELP" or better "URGENT NEED HELP NOW!!!!11!!". We can just assume that those posts are about a ped, almost certainly unrestricted, and likely a Gilera.

I know this isn't helpful, but... I have to know.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Honest question: do you Gilera pedbois receive some sort of owner's manual which recommends that you TITLE ALL YOUR FORUM POSTS IN CAPS?

I have to ask, because you all seem to do it. Frankly, I'm amazed that you put the bike in the title - usually it's just "NEED HELP" or better "URGENT NEED HELP NOW!!!!11!!". We can just assume that those posts are about a ped, almost certainly unrestricted, and likely a Gilera.

I know this isn't helpful, but... I have to know.

Helpful, really helpful...

As to the OP... could you tell us what is fitted to the dam thing? You didn't mention that it had a fucking exhaust on it, does it even have a stock filter on it? I can safely say what is wrong with your bike now, it has been fucked with. My DNA was stock and was plenty fast.

Is there no jet size between 56 and 68? have you tried setting the needle propperly with the 68 fitted? adjusting the idle mixture screw too?

GREENI3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your exhaust might need a de-coke.

My 2t ped did the exact same thing (wouldn't reach full speed etc).

Take the exhaust off and ride it up and down the road and see if the performance improves.
It'll be noisy as hell, but it'll eliminate a lot of factors and save a load of time if it happens to be a build up of carbon causing your problem.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinger wrote:
Your exhaust might need a de-coke.

My 2t ped did the exact same thing (wouldn't reach full speed etc).

Take the exhaust off and ride it up and down the road and see if the performance improves.
It'll be noisy as hell, but it'll eliminate a lot of factors and save a load of time if it happens to be a build up of carbon causing your problem.

It's funny you should say this because I thought about this a lot the other night. I thought to myself, what if his exhaust needs a decoke because the pressure can't really escape, I don't think i'm really explaining it propperly.

I wouldn't recommend riding it on the road with no exhaust as the police will be quick to have you're pants down. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1