Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£18 to fill up the tank,after 125miles. Normal for a hornet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

blinky
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:19 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: £18 to fill up the tank,after 125miles. Normal for a hornet? Reply with quote

I know hornets have a shorter tank range, but is this fuel efficiency along the right lines?

13.47litres the receipt says, and i literally ran out on the way down a hill. thank f*** there was a petrol station at the bottom, no joke! Shocked

600, 01, f-y model, 14000miles.

I feel like i got alot more out of her this time last year, but cant swear by it!

cheers Thumbs Up
ride safe

Last edited by blinky on 19:45 - 21 Jul 2011; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: £18 to fill up the tank,after 125miles. Normal for a hor Reply with quote

blinky wrote:
I know hornets have a shorter tank range, but is this fuel efficiency along the right lines?

13.47litres the receipt says, and i literally ran out on the way down a hill. thank f*** there was a petrol station at the bottom, no joke! Shocked

I feel like i got alot more out of her this time last year, but cant swear by it!

cheers Thumbs Up
ride safe

So between full and empty there was only 13.47L??? Thought they had 16L tanks? Do you stand the bike upright when filling or do you do it on the sidestand?

(125 * 4.54) / 13.47 = 42.13 mpg - that's pretty good Thumbs Up .

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:43 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornets are known to do 100 miles on a tank Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
I get between 250~300 miles out of £40 of gas in my 1500cc noddy car.

Do you have a bike too?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:52 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about 43mpg according to my calculations, which is pretty good for a Honda I think.

serlant
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:35 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My VTR will get 90 miles to the light and 110 to until i'd too scared to do more and thats 14.5 litres normally, which is about 40mpg, my fuelly says 41mpg

serlant
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:36 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

serlant wrote:
My VTR will get 90 miles to the light and 110 until i'm too scared to do more and thats 14.5 litres normally, which is about 40mpg, my fuelly says 41mpg

mccluskeyd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep ; sounds about right.
I used to do a lot of stop / start short journeys on my 1998 model it would sometimes be only 95 miles to empty !!

Carry a Zippo petrol lighter can about with you in your pocket ; it will extend your range by about 40% !!!!

Redoko
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, same model as mine. Pretty average. I can usually get a bit more (135) with slower riding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally depends on how you ride, i was getting about 130 miles from 16 liters on my cbr. i tried changing to 6th as soon as and riding everywhere at low revs etc and got nearly 200 to 16 liters but it was nearly as boring as listening to my mrs talking about her day.

blinky
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:33 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah shweet guys, thanks very much

@donnie, ye i always have it on centre stand when filling up, and i guess then, it may be a 14litre tank possibly?! Smile

@whitedevil, well, i thought someone might get over-technical! Wink but crikey man, thats a big difference you saved there ....though i think ive tried something similar in the past, staying in sixth gear, but it didnt help my fuel efficiency 'that' much! ...maybe another 5-10miles but that was quite a while ago now.

42mpg is still pretty pricey for my liking, considering i want something faster too! ....thinking fazer for a year, before getting a hardcore kwak or suzuki.... the zx9r looks pretty epic, but not sure im ready for that yet! Very Happy

molex
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 05:16 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GS500 20 Liter tank

225 miles from 16.5 liter

average 4.5 - 5k rpm

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Re: £18 to fill up the tank,after 125miles. Normal for a hor Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:

So between full and empty there was only 13.47L??? Thought they had 16L tanks? Do you stand the bike upright when filling or do you do it on the sidestand?

(125 * 4.54) / 13.47 = 42.13 mpg - that's pretty good Thumbs Up .

They do have 16 litres tanks, however due to the design it's pretty impossible to get that amount into the tank. You can get a little more in by filling it slowly to minimise airlocks in the "shoulders" of the tank, but that's about it. 125 mile is pretty good, was that on reserve?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:06 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

molex wrote:
My GS500 20 Liter tank

average 4.5 - 5k rpm

GS500s have 17 liters tank AFAIK.

Acemastr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

13.5litres on my RR gets me 120-130 miles generally, works out about 41-42mpg

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 23 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds right.... reserve light showing the bars. you use up one bar, and decide well, 4 left. open throttle** and TWO instantly disappear.

170 miles, 13.9 liters on **restricted cbr600, 56mpg, sticking to limits... :/

molex
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 05:32 - 23 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chris-red"][quote="molex"]My GS500 20 Liter tank

average 4.5 - 5k rpm[/quote]

GS500s have 17 liters tank AFAIK.[/quote]

GS500 From 2001 - 2010 are 20L tank

https://www.globalsuzuki.com/motorcycle/moto/street/gs500/99999-A0103-111.pdf

koolio
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:40 - 23 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, sell the damn thing.

Imho it is one of the biggest fails of a bike Honda ever made and a completely pointless bike ticking no boxes, for the reasons below.

-Its a naked bike that has more power and speed than you can practically use sitting in an upright position unfaired.

-It looks like a commuter, but has too much power and doesn't have the fuel economy.

-It has an average/poor range for a commuter looking bike.

-It's ugly, has way too wide tyres and is impractical for any use I can think of whether you want a sport bike, commuter, all arounder or whatever.

-Riders always seem to dwarf this bike, makes one look like a cavalry officer on a pony. Even the CB500 has a better look

https://specs-honda.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/wpid-Honda_CB_600F_Hornet_2008_14446.jpg

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 23 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at them when I bought a Yam Bulldog it had done 130 miles the other day when I filled it - took £11 almost 70mpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 23 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Not at the moment, I'm saving up for a Harley though. Angelic

https://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/44/Panda_DO_NOT_WANT.jpg

Surprised Laughing Laughing

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 23 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

koolio wrote:
If I may, sell the damn thing.

Imho it is one of the biggest fails of a bike Honda ever made and a completely pointless bike ticking no boxes, for the reasons below.

-Its a naked bike that has more power and speed than you can practically use sitting in an upright position unfaired.

Ducati Streetfighter. Speed Triple. MV Brutale. Aprilia Tuono. Naked variants of Bandits, FZ6, SV, Z750s etc. See where I'm going with this? I'd also like to draw your attention to the Hornet Cup.

-It looks like a commuter, but has too much power and doesn't have the fuel economy.

It simply looks like a naked bike. Considering the price tag, its a lot prettier than a Bandit or a Fazer.

-It has an average/poor range for a commuter looking bike.

True. The range is pretty horrible.

-It's ugly, has way too wide tyres and is impractical for any use I can think of whether you want a sport bike, commuter, all arounder or whatever.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. It does make a good all rounder and the tyres are a pretty standard size which makes sourcing them easy. It handles just fine on them and adds to the 'grown up, bike bike' feel for a newbie like me

-Riders always seem to dwarf this bike, makes one look like a cavalry officer on a pony. Even the CB500 has a better look

Fair point but the low seat height makes it quite accessible. Its comfortable. And the bloke in your picture needs to bend his arms a bit more, hes sat too upright.

OP: 125 miles is pretty good, is that including reserve?

If not you're riding it too slow. 100 before reserve is pretty much standard for me.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 24 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

koolio wrote:
Imho it is one of the biggest fails of a bike Honda ever made and a completely pointless bike ticking no boxes, for the reasons below:

I have no neck muscles and that is Honda's fault.

EFA
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1