Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Problem with Superdream 250

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

paddlesat16
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:21 - 24 Jul 2011    Post subject: Problem with Superdream 250 Reply with quote

Hi Guys

My superdream cb250ndb 1981 is playing up.

I'm having trouble starting it, keeping it running and it won't rev.

up till now I have removed the carbs for cleaning, I have split and thoroughly cleaned the carbs, the jets are correct and in the right way round, the float heights are correct, the pilot screws are set to 2 turns out as per the haynes manual. There is fuel getting to the carbs. I have checked the filter at the petcock and is clean. I also changed the coil just in case. I have checked the timing and is spot on the marks, the plugs are correctly gapped. The inlet stubs and air box tubes are tight and not leaking. The air filter is clean. And the battery is fully charged. I've also sprayed all electrical conectors with wd40

The bike won't start on choke at the moment when cold? tho the choke isn't stuck on? The bike will start, run for a while then die, etc till warmed up. Then will run but it's lumpy as I need to now sync the carbs. Also when you try and rev the bike it dies instantly.
This has me thinking maybe the cdI is playing up but bike electronics isn't my bag.

Up until this the bike has been faultless, alway started and been a heavy slow superdream hack for work.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great

Regards

Bob

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 24 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starts without choke means its rich, as it warms it jusy gets richer.
Have you checked the diaphrams on top of the carb body.
Are you absolutely sure float level is correct and that one or both are not overflowing.
Pull the engine breather from the airbox and check you are not getting exessive blow-by fumes. (rings or piston worn).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

paddlesat16
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:53 - 24 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jjdugen

The cv carbs fitted to the bike don't have diaphrams fitted to them, they have cv pistons which work on air pressure. I'm positive the carbs are not running rich. The engine breather vents to fresh air this is a 80's bike before emission control was introduced. Ive compression tested the bike 125psi either side.

Regards
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1