Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 400 Project/Restoration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Bandit 400 Project/Restoration Reply with quote

So I have bought myself a 1991 Bandit 400 from chillyman0 of here.

The plan is to get it working by my birthday/test at the beginning of December. Going to be a struggle with starting my A-Levels and all but every moment other than homework and shit will be spent on it Very Happy

Plan is as follows:

Arrow Strip bike completely
Arrow Do piston rings and if anything else is nasty inside there.
Arrow New brake master cylinder/calliper seals and brake pads.
Arrow While that is all being done, the frame, swingarm and wheels (possibly fork bottoms) are being powdercoated.
Arrow New front tyre.
Arrow New front seat (hopefully both so they will be matching)
Arrow Laquer and touch up the current fairings until early next year when I can get it sprayed.
Arrow New fork seals
Arrow Sort out clocks
Arrow Fix speedo
Arrow New battery
Arrow New rectifier
Arrow New rear disc

And I think that is about it.

So yesterday the bike arrived with a guy called Alan who I found on Shiply. Really a great guy and had no complaints. Had a good chinwag with him and seems a decent, reliable guy. Basically on Shiply, if you didn't know. You enter an item, a pickup and delivery address and different couriers bid on the service and you pick the best one. There is a feedback scheme so the lowest price may have no feedback so could be a bid dodgy...

On there he is called southcoastdeliveries and VERY highly recommend him.

So yeah, the bike arrived and I whacked it straight into the garage. Bit hard to push it with the front brakes stuck on a bit Laughing

Was so excited that I forgot to take a photo but it was soon stripped a bit so I could have a quick look around.

Chain came straight off and put it in a bowl and put some 2 stroke oil on it and scrubbed it on with a paintbrush. Then decided to drain the oil so it soaked in it as it was rusty.

The oil was black but it was very good, no bits or silky appearance and you can almost see through it.

https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/HDrayton7/Suzuki%20Bandit%20400%20Project/IMAG0346.jpg

Sump nut was bloody tight though and I ended up mangling it so that is on the list, too!

Then thought I would see what the green taped wire is doing going into the left side of the engine. I though maybe generator or something but when I took it off some more oil came out, so just aswell I drained it before Laughing

https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/HDrayton7/Suzuki%20Bandit%20400%20Project/IMAG0347.jpg

When it was off, I forgot to take photos though Laughing But the wire is broken and I am thinking is the speedo there? Or is it down at the front wheel?

Front discs are also rusted but are very good condition, no lumps or bumps and even the rust is smooth so will rub it over with some 1200 and a bit of wd and leave it til I start rebuilding the bike.

https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/HDrayton7/Suzuki%20Bandit%20400%20Project/IMAG0348.jpg

And the rear disc isn't rusty but is proper bad Laughing Loads of ridges which you can just make out in the pic:

https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/HDrayton7/Suzuki%20Bandit%20400%20Project/IMAG0349.jpg

And thats about as far as I got yesterday to be honest.

Going up there again in a bit to whip off the clocks, bars etc., front fender, hugger, airbox and maybe a few other easy bits like rear light etc.

But I'm gonna leave major things like engine/carbs/main electrics til when my fathers down with me as I am just a novice atm Razz But that is the aim of this project, to learn!

Sorry about forgetting to take pics, I'll try... promise Laughing

More updates to come frequently, hopefully, and this will be a fairly quick project. Like I said I want to get it done in 3 months but may run over a bit so I maybe cycling everywhere again Razz

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:16 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching this.

Also rate Alan from shiply Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you tear down the engine do a leakdown test. You might have no reason to pull it apart, unless you know already that there is.

I have a set of refurbished carbs for a Bandit 4 BTW. bught them off a guy on Greybike and never used them.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Before you tear down the engine do a leakdown test. You might have no reason to pull it apart, unless you know already that there is.

I have a set of refurbished carbs for a Bandit 4 BTW. bught them off a guy on Greybike and never used them.

Is that a compression test? And preventative maintenance and learning Smile I watched my dad do them on my bike but I would like to learn.

and how much? again, I would like to strip them down and learn but Razz

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £27 for em so you could have them for £25.

A leakdown is similar to compression, but it measures leakage not just cylinder pressure. You use two gauges with a restrictor in between. The leakdown is expressed as the percentage difference between the two guage pressures. The other benefit of leakdown testing is that you can actually hear where the leak is by listening at the intake or exhaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leak-down_tester

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing major today done really. Just undone like 40 thousands nuts and bolts Laughing

There is now nothing on the back end, no bars, no exhaust, no front fender, no peg hangar on the right side, no passenger pegs, no brakes and I think thats about it!

Hardest thing? Undoing the front fender, my god! The bolts are ontop and they have nuts so you have to go under the tyre with a spanner in about a 1cm gap.

I did a bit of a boo boo aswell Razz On the throttle side switchgear, one of the bolts wouldn't come out cos it was rounded already and I couldnt cut a slit in so I drilled it out. Apart from I didn't. I wasn't drilling square so it came out of the side and it was absolute murder. I should have just slid it off the bars Sad

How it stands currently:

https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/HDrayton7/Suzuki%20Bandit%20400%20Project/IMAG0357.jpg

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

that wire you mention is for the crank sensor (or commonly known as the pulser coil, or pickup coil). It tells the cdi when to spark. Get it repaired with some soldering and heat shrink.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project. Watching this one!

I do belive the engine in this is a de-tuned version of the engine in my gixxer.

Any chance you could take a picture of the carbs and put them up for me? Mr. Green

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

computid wrote:
Cool project. Watching this one!

I do belive the engine in this is a de-tuned version of the engine in my gixxer.

Any chance you could take a picture of the carbs and put them up for me? Mr. Green

What, my carbs or pete's?

And what sort of view? I can take the view from the airbox side but they should be off the engine tomorrow maye early next week.

And yeah, not that detuned though apparently haha! Because the bandit 6 is detuned from the gsxr but its like a massive power loss and lots of weight whereas this is still 50bhp. Although I will be getting it restricted I think.

Thumbs Up

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD wrote:

What, my carbs or pete's?

And what sort of view? I can take the view from the airbox side but they should be off the engine tomorrow maye early next week.

And yeah, not that detuned though apparently haha! Because the bandit 6 is detuned from the gsxr but its like a massive power loss and lots of weight whereas this is still 50bhp. Although I will be getting it restricted I think.

Thumbs Up

Your carbs. Side or top view will do. Just wondering if they're the same Mikunis and have the same gasket problems.

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Laughing

It will have to be tomorrow now as it is getting dark but I will get both views for you cos I'm so nice Mr. Green

Don't know if they are Mikuni's or not though...

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Laughing

It will have to be tomorrow now as it is getting dark but I will get both views for you cos I'm so nice Mr. Green

Don't know if they are Mikuni's or not though...

If they're the same ill send you a guide to doing the O-rings and I think I still have the contact number for the supplier if you cant be bothered to source the right ones (like me!)

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay, that would be great Thumbs Up

Seeing we are taking pics of carbs, can you grab a picture of the ones you have please Pete.

Just to confirm they are the same. Are they fully functioning? If so, I will probably have them but I'll see what sort of dosh I have as since buying this I seem to have no fucking money Laughing

Hopefully I should have everything out of the frame tomorrow as father is coming down to help me get rid of the engine and electrics.

Update(s) to follow Very Happy

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 27 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

alun111 wrote:
that wire you mention is for the crank sensor (or commonly known as the pulser coil, or pickup coil). It tells the cdi when to spark. Get it repaired with some soldering and heat shrink.

Read this and forgot to reply, sorry.

Saw the speedo drive down by the front wheel today so while that is being p/coated I will source a cable and maybe the drive itself if its going cheap.

Never even heard of a crank sensor, learn something new everyday! Soldering/heatshrink it is!

Thanks Thumbs Up

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:30 - 27 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Any more questions feel free to pm me. My bandit's my main form of transport at the moment as the hornet's off the road. Had it for just over 4 years now.

I'll be watching!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 27 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe the Bandit runs a bank of four individual carbs but the Gixxer runs a split pair of two or something daft. I'll put up a Photo of mine anyhoo.

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 27 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was down the garage with father today and managed to get the rest of the electrics off and the engine out. Nothing major to report really.

Everything was so simple. Think I could have done it myself tbh but nice to have that help if I needed it. As my dad said, "If you can build a Derbi, you can build anything" Laughing Honestly, though, you cannot compare how simple everything on this bike is.

Just the forks and front wheel and the shock/linkage to come off now and its ready for powdercoating next week some time hopefully.

In the mean time, the carbs are gonna be stripped and the engine and maybe the brakes to see what is going on and refresh it all up a bit.

As the bike is atm:

https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/HDrayton7/Suzuki%20Bandit%20400%20Project/IMAG0368.jpg

Shot of the carbs for computid:

https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/HDrayton7/Suzuki%20Bandit%20400%20Project/IMAG0360.jpg

https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/HDrayton7/Suzuki%20Bandit%20400%20Project/IMAG0361.jpg

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 27 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

those look like the little sods that have problems with the o-rings Confused

The front discs look like EBC prolites, got a set on my VFR, and love them, given them a blue stripe from braking so hard Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 27 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they do, mine were re-built with new o-rings etc.

They also have a habit of blocking the choke jets so the bike won't start from cold. The jets are in the stupidest place, right where they will fill up with crap.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I do believe the Bandit runs a bank of four individual carbs but the Gixxer runs a split pair of two or something daft. I'll put up a Photo of mine anyhoo.

Nope. The GK71F runs two but the 73A and the 76A run banks of 4.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 27 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Those are the bastards in question.

Heres a guide to the O-Rings in the GK 73/76 carbs. Im pretty sure they're the same.

https://www.400greybike.com/files/The_Mikuni_carbs_on_GK76a.pdf

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 30 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the guides computid.

At the moment, the bandit is still as it is in the photo.

But stuck what to do atm. Basically me and the father have had a massive argument and he has told me if I dont sort myself out then I can build my bike myself.

Apparently my attitude stinks and I have no respect Rolling Eyes

Now thats no major problem but I need to know if he is going to help me or minimum lend me the money cos if not I'm stuck.

Thats another story anyway.

But do you lot reckon, with the aid of youtube, BCF etc., I could replace the seals (maybe pistons) in my brakes, rebuild my forks and maybe my rear shock?

Everything else I think I could do tbh.

Also, if I put some hammerite on the frame and re laquer the fairing/tank do you reckon it should look okayish?

Thanks! Opinions appreciated Very Happy

Last edited by HD on 00:09 - 09 Sep 2011; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:45 - 30 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD wrote:
Basically me and the father have had a massive argument and he has told me if I dont sort myself out then I can build my bike myself.

Apparently my attitude stinks and I have no respect Rolling Eyes

Give him some respect then, he's your father.

My dad fucks off and leaves me to it if I give him any hassle... i'm 23 and he's 60!

The way I see it, my dads dad was like that to him... and my dad is pretty awesome as it stands. So im guessing hes just trying to be the same... its working as I know far more about bikes when I get on with him and sort a bike.

Dont be gay, get on with stripping Wink Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 30 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project.

However, am I the only one terrified at the thought of WD40 on brake discs? Confused

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 30 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
Cool project.

However, am I the only one terrified at the thought of WD40 on brake discs? Confused

Thats what I thought but it was fathers suggestion Laughing

Guessing it would wear off after a few heavy brakings.

And paddy, I tried to cut it down a bit but there is a lot more in it than it seems. And respect swings both ways. Very long story and I ain't gonna come crying on here about it...

Just need to know if you lot reckon I can do those bits and bobs myself with a manual?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21