Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone recommend a seal extractor?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

richrock
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Anyone recommend a seal extractor? Reply with quote

Any recommendations on a seal extractor for YBR125 forks? They're really really stubborn and I need to swap them out.

Any advice appreciated, links more so Very Happy

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 18:26 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure there's not s circlip in there holding them in?

Otherwise just pull the fork apart harder.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:28 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Anyone recommend a seal extractor? Reply with quote

Have you got the stanchions out?

Normally you use the stanchion with bush to pull the seal out.

If you have, however tough I've always managed it with basic tools - usually just a screw driver underneath (do be careful to not mark the cup), but in some more extreme cases I've reverted to pulling the metal springs out and tearing off some of the inner bits to give it a bit more flex.

richrock
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, but...

I have taken the retaining clip out - no probs there.

There's no bush on the stanchion - these are basic forks that use a simple damping rod. Someone had mentioned levering the seals out, but these are really stiff. Tried a bit of a bash, but scared to damage anything.

I've removed the stanchions as instructed (in the haynes book), and need to pull the seal from the cup. I've seen these https://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item.php/store/13/c1/121/c2/1567/sn/13909 but unsure if it's a: right and b: how the heck it would work.

Haynes illustrates some kind of internal seal puller that uses a slide hammer (if that makes sense to anyone) - I tried Googling this but keep getting something that looks like an ice axe Sad

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did mine on the Aprilia, I just used a long handled screwdriver and worked around the seal, gently levering it bit by bit (with a thin piece of MDF on the top of the fork so as not to damage it).
The draper tool you linked to needs something to push against the centre piece so will not work easily (unless you put something down inside the fork - like a cut down broom handle?).

richrock
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, the haynes suggested a broom handle - but in an 8mm hole???

At least I can elminate that item.

Would flushing with WD40 help at all as well?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:27 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the one you show will do much in this case.
This is a blind bearing puller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200659341668 - though i had one, I've never used it for fork seals.

'Blind bearing puller'.

What you're getting when you google it is a seal puller - they are more designed for this job.

Note the blind bearing puller will only work if there's washer or similar behind it I reckon - otherwise it won't grip the rubber and will just pull straight through, I reckon.

A screw driver with some decent force, working around the edge has always done it for me. I will sometimes add something to ensure that when I'm levering the screwdriver, it doesn't damage the top of the fork.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

richrock wrote:
an 8mm hole???

Huh?
That sounds rather small :/

Edited to add apparent measurements :
https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs111.snc1/5104_207930240561_729425561_7454962_3155137_n.jpg

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Anyone recommend a seal extractor? Reply with quote

richrock wrote:
Any recommendations on a seal extractor for YBR125 forks?

https://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/screwdriver-1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:33 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Anyone recommend a seal extractor? Reply with quote

Missed the 8mm hole.

Err, you are talking about a rubber oil seal, not the copper washer on the bottom bolt, here? Confused

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:48 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal RWU forks usually have dust deal > retaining ring > oil seal > bush.

You remove the dust seal and retaining ring and undo the nut at the top of the fork (and fork bottom bolt)

Get all the oil out and then pull them apart.

Takes 2 weak people to pull the GSXR forks apart Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 10 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre levers make good seal removers and because they generally have a wide arc then they tend not to damage the surrounding area. I also find that applying some heat to the area surrounding the seal facilitates easier removal.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

richrock
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:06 - 11 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all. sleeping. Embarassed

8mm (or so) hole in bottom of fork for copper seal, and 30mm ID for seal. Bunged up fork inner and sprayed seal with wd40, left overnight to see if it will help loosen. There was a bit of rust on the retaining clip, so wondered the top part of the seal has corroded a bit.

I've tried a screwdriver, but used enough force to start dinging the ends (nothing serious, but enough to make me panic and stop).

@Raffles - that sounds like a good plan with the heat. I'll be looking at this b*&%$y fork again tonight so I'll heat it up a bit. I guess putting the fork top in some boiling water would do the trick?

I'm going to get a seal lifter like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-37439-Universal--Ring-Puller/dp/B000PJCBVM/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1318316335&sr=1-1 today and see if I can hook it in to pull it from behind. I've also found a real-world guide to stripping and servicing Moto-Guzzi forks, written by someone who shares my pain. Here's step 12:

Quote:
12 - Remove the old fork seal. First remove any children or others that are easily offended from the area. Unless you have a special tool for extracting the fork seal this can be very aggravating. The fork seal is a piece of metal covered by a hard plastic shell. It fits very tightly against the fork tube and can be difficult to remove. Sliding a small screwdriver between the fork wall and the seal could prove to be disasterous if the aluminum wall is scratched since the seal would let oil shoot right past it. I used pair of pliers/cutters and cut/pull away at the inside of the seal (pic 10) until it has weakened enough to allow me to collapse it inward. Then it was easilly removed.

The cutting part made me Shocked

Unfortunately, I don't have much budget and the blind seal puller ain't cheap. I'll keep it as a last resort, at least I know what to search for - thanks again![/quote]

richrock
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:14 - 11 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Raffles - you are a bloomin' genius my man. Not sure if it was the WD40 as well, but stuck the end in some very hot water, left it a minute, and managed to get the seal out with a bit of old elbow grease. Very Happy

You are a star. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1