Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hello All!! EDIT: Mod 2 Passed!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 26 Sep 2011    Post subject: Hello All!! EDIT: Mod 2 Passed! Reply with quote

Well after a nice ride out around Worcester - Passed my mod 2 this afternoon! -

Didn't know the area at all - aside the few hours before with my instructor - I think it helped but maybe others experience has differed!

1 minor for missing the lifesaver turning into the test center at the end of the test - which I can live with.

Means I get to take this out of the garage now!

https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/301679_10150325928476939_533536938_8209783_645018721_n.jpg

Last edited by janner_10 on 19:18 - 27 Oct 2011; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:23 - 26 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the examiner is a sat nav, imagine you are trying to find your mates house and he is your sat nav, he knows where he is going... use your eyes and you'll be fine Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FerretFing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 26 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil & Welcome Very Happy

Personally, I'd get hold of the test routes & use Google Earth to check out layout of roads, lane markings, roundabouts etc & the general area.

Good luck with the tests Thumbs Up

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 26 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both.

I think I will talk to my instructor - a couple of ride outs in Worcester will probably put my mind at ease.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I did my test (pre mod1 & 2). I took my 125 and rode on every road that the examiners used for tests at least once.
Differences were then petrol was cheaper and the town I had to do my test in was only 20 miles away!

If you can ride around Worcester it will help.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:56 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're trying to get a license that says that you're safe to ride unaccompanied round strange towns. See what I'm saying?

You'll be fine. It doesn't matter where you go, as long as you go there safely.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 27 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A point well made and taken!

pretty1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:46 - 03 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Hello All!! Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
Hey all

I'm new to these forums and biking, but i'd though i would sound some more experienced people out for advice.

So I've done my theory and CBT, no issues. I did my theory on a geared 125 as this was what i was used to riding, albeit 20 years ago!

I am using a school local to me, I'm in Tewkesbury. (L&J Rider Training in Evesham FYI if your local) and had a 500cc conversion lesson on Saturday for a couple of hours. This went great and it was amazing being out and about on a 500 instead of the 125 cbt bike.

Now here is my problem.. When I booked, I knew the Mod 1 (on the 12th Oct) was in Gloucester, which I am very familiar with. However, and this is my cock up, I assumed the Mod 2 would be as well, but ive discovered its in Worcester.

Problem is, I don't know Worcester at all! I had never even driven there let alone around it.

Now do I get some test routes from t'internet and do them in my car or, and this was my thinking, do the Mod 2 blind and the lack of familiarity will make me a little more alert rather than complacent with a well known town?

Any opinions?

Cheers
Neil

hello your not alone also i seen 1 member new in biking
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=2984577#2984577

arcoiris
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:34 - 03 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my Mod 2 in a city I dont know.
It was better training than where I came from, but a strange place to me and a lot busier too.

I did a few of the routes with my trainer but on my second test attempt it was a new examiner and she took me on a totally different route.

It shouldnt really matter if you know the area or not, as you are indeed proving that you can ride, and the examiner is really like a satnav so you dont have to worry about where your going.
Just concentrate on reading signs and the road (as well as all the rest) and you'll be fine.

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:28 - 03 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that may catch you out is speed limits and road markings/signs. If your instructor doesn't take you anywhere near the test centre then a quick brush up on your road signs etc before you go or google the area to check the speed limit signs may help but as said before you are proving that you can ride unaccompanied.

Once you've passed your test you'll be riding around and going to places that you don't know so to avoid running foul of traffic cameras, etc you'll need to be able to read the road etc so this will be no different.

Good luck.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:06 - 03 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would always take a drive round the area. There's no harm in sussing out speed limit changes and any weird roundabouts etc. It just stacks the odds in your favour.

Sure you *should* be able to do it blind, but we all do things in the real world that would get us a big fat fail on our test.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:46 - 03 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Sure you *should* be able to do it blind, but we all do things in the real world that would get us a big fat fail on our test.

Say that about me again and I shall take off my slippers and give you such an extended thrashing that my pipe might go out. Tut Tut

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 11 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after a good days training today, my Mod 1 is tomorrow @ 2:30 in Gloucester.

I found the high speed maneuvers not too bad at all to really, out of the 20 or so U turns I practiced probably pup my foot down once when trying to talk at the same time!!

I got the swerve and fig 8 off to a tee as well, so fingers crossed for tomorrow!!

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 11 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lost on my test. Or rather my examiner did. Neither of us were local to Rotherham, and the wrong turn I took 2 mins out of the test centre sent us on a magical mystery tour of roads I'd not covered in the 'pricey but good' extended lesson covering every test route in Rotherham the previous day.

Bless him he had to stop for a look at his A to Z.

Good luck.

Mehty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:03 - 11 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Hello All!! Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
Hey all
I did my theory on a geared 125

They have drive in theory tests now?! Laughing

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 11 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Hello All!! Reply with quote

pl3ppp wrote:
janner_10 wrote:
Hey all
I did my theory on a geared 125

They have drive in theory tests now?! Laughing

I never claimed to be a proof reader as well - but well spotted - of course should of meant CBT

Mehty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:16 - 11 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever read my posts, you'l see that english IS NOT a strong point for me Laughing I just thought it was funny Very Happy

Welcome to the forums, Gonna get my a2 out the way soon, driving test next week so im hoping they use the same routes!

Good luck n all that Thumbs Up

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 13 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I passed Mod 1 yesterday.

Time: 2:30pm
Bike: Suzuki GS500
Weather: Cloudy but dry.
Taken @ Gloucester
Examiner: Tony Henry

1 minor for traveling a little too far on the E Stop - but desperate not to skid, like the many had done before looking at the concrete and 1 for 47 kph on the first swerve attempt.

Both @ 55 kph in the end.

Here is my experiences for those with it on the horizon:

* Park your bike facing the gate - don't get caught fumbling about with it.

* Keep up those obs - mirror left lifesaver left - mirror right lifesaver right before and after stopping / moving off. Its a bit of a farce but a good habit to get into.

* Before every maneuver, I counted to 3, took a deep breath did my obs and moved.

* Moving the bike: I did the 3 point turn style, I didn't want to loose balance, and its not a race to do it quick.

* Slalom & Fig 8: Keep to a decent speed, don't try and go too slow and just remember what you practiced. Look where you want to go and not at the cones.

* Slow Ride: All I remember is my instructor saying 'Slower - Slower - Slower', and I always struggled - so I rode at a speed I wouldn't wobble too much and thought a minor for being too fast is better than putting a foot down. Was no issue though.

* U Turn - I was in the 4 cones and edged forward and stopped again parallel the line to get a nice straight start, and just moved it around, always looking where I wanted the bike to be and not at the line.

* Controlled stop - A great practice lap this one, you can gauge the corner, I changed up to third glided round,once out accelerated quite hard to get used to it. When you get to the last 2 cones just down through the gears and stop - think of the 4 cones like a white line at a junction. Its not speed measured but he will tell you if you ask him, I managed 52kph, so I knew I would be OK for the next 2.

* E Stop - Trick is here i found not to go too fast on the bend, just glide round and towards the end open the throttle, you have so much room to get up to speed, I really cant see what the fuss is about. Keep on the throttle until you are through the trap then ease off once through. Then just front brake because you really don't want to skid, so I didn't touch my back brake. I got a minor for not stopping quickly enough - he said he would liked to of seen a meter less, I thought that was fair comment. A minor for too long is better than failing for skidding all over the place. Playing the percentage game.

* Swerve - Again really can't see what the fuss is about - same as the E stop - glide through the bend, throttle out - and immediately throttle off as you pass the speed trap - swerve and straighten up. On my first go I was cocky and went too fast round the bend and it cocked me up so I only hit 47kph as I eased off too early. On the 2ND go I was nice and gentle through the bend, gave it the beans until I'm at the trap, ease off and swerve. A nice easy 55kph.

All in all the whole thing is a piece of piss, just practice what you have no doubt practiced loads of times - My enemy was my nerves, so before every maneuver I took a long deep breath, counted to 3 and it helped me to calm down.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:43 - 13 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found when I did it if you park facing the gate, just grab the rear of the bike and handlebar, walk backwards with in in 1 motion into the other cones, none of this stop and change thing, might as well do in 1 solid movement, less room for fault.

But well done Thumbs Up

nickGT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 13 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Karma

I despised the mod1. Failed the 1st time purely due to being too nervous and not 'bossing' the bike. This meant that the 2nd time I was even more nervous. I managed to get on top of it and after the slow bit I was pretty confident I would pass.

Interesting you got a minor for going to fast on the e stop. The 1st time I done the mod1 I was too slow on that bit so I really gave it some 'welly' on my 2nd test. Speeds for e stop and avoidance were 67 and 68 and I was minor free. Thumbs Up

nickGT
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 13 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
I found when I did it if you park facing the gate, just grab the rear of the bike and handlebar, walk backwards with in in 1 motion into the other cones, none of this stop and change thing, might as well do in 1 solid movement, less room for fault.

But well done Thumbs Up

I done it like that as well. It also means that you only have to do the observations once so IMO makes it easier/simpler.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:51 - 13 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickGT wrote:
I done it like that as well. It also means that you only have to do the observations once so IMO makes it easier/simpler.

I did it a long time ago, cant remember doing the observations though Laughing

SweenyT
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:35 - 13 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the pass Thumbs Up

I found it easier to stay in 2nd and redline the bike rather than go into 3rd - got 55kph each time. My instructor advised this also.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1