Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Racetech Gold Valve cartridge emulators

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:52 - 10 Nov 2011    Post subject: Racetech Gold Valve cartridge emulators Reply with quote

Anyone know what size bolt they use (is it M4?)

Also anyone got a spare set of springs for them and willing to sell?
(either the blue 40Lbs or the yellow 64 Lbs ones)

Regards
Rob

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 10 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Cartridge fork emulators from Race-Tech ( https://racetech.com/html_files/EMULATORGV.HTML ) fitted to my Exup 1000,but I have them as they arrived from the USA back in the '90s.

PDQ are the importers nowadays https://www.pdq1.com/index.php

Always have a 'Plan B'

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:15 - 11 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame they are so damned expensive (for what they are)
Have seen them quite cheap on US websites (like $40 cheap...which is more realistically priced IMHO) but they are for 41mm Harley forks...just too chubby to go in my skinny forks
In my research I also found some for 35mm forks at $50, closer but again they are just too wide for my skinny little forks

Have been emailing and quizzing everyone I think /may/ know who actually manufactures these parts (they all /look/ to be identical despite the massive price discrepancy) but just keep hitting dead ends

At £40- £50 a set I know both my bikes here would have them installed already...but at £170 a pop it just isn't going to happen to either machine anytime soon

So armed with a lathe and some scrap alloy I have started to make a set today....so far so good (I love making swarf...even better if it actually achieves something useful or pretty at the end of the day)

I know you can or could buy the compression springs from Racetech...but it would be handy to know what int diameter they are so I can tap the thread for the bolt,buy the bolts and get the valving parts built reamed and lapped (I don't know if this is actually necessary, but it kind of makes sense to do this) and then I guess its down to getting the springs sourced and then doing some fork stripping and tinkering

Regards
Rob

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 11 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like an interesting little project.I have a Myford ML7 lathe and have made quite a few 'interesting' parts on it so far - but not yet some copies of the emulators that are buried within the depths of the Exup forks.Over the Winter I plan to drain the lightweight 5w fork oil and to install some 10 or 12.5w with a small adjustment of the Emulators.Then it will be just a case of adusting the clickers otherwise.

Always have a 'Plan B'

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:30 - 11 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines the Myford/Drummod M type (1940's) and it had been badly abused before I got it
Sadly it no longer does screwcutting due to the extreme abuse it had recieved (needs a new leadscrew and the halfnut)

Still using the steel cutting blanks and having fun tinkering with grinding my own to suit
Well impressed with my improv boring tool which worked a treat
My cutoff tool however totally sucked and chattered away without doing much work at all (bit more understanding required)

The toolpost is a simple clamp affair, so tool changes require mucking about with stacking tools on top of each other and multiple shims, which is a faff - would love a more modern quick change toolpost and some replacable carbide tipped tooling...but I fear it would loose some of its ancient charm if I did that ...and I'd have to come up with the goods each time I used it (where now I can blame poor tool shape, angles, height etc...)

Ref the emulators
from what I gather they do not do anything for rebound at all - so that is still goverend by the oil weight and the orifice in the leg up top...assume that is why you are going heavier weight wise?

Just need to reduce the ammount both bikes nosedive under braking, but don't want to loose the big bump absorbtion

Heard great things about cartridge emulators V's damper rod low tech and fancy "having some of that" (as well as something to tinker and try and get a good balance with)

Regards
Rob

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 11 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the instructions I received with my kit

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/SalesBrochures005.jpg
https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/SalesBrochures006.jpg

I am changing the fork oil for slightly heavier viscosity so that the rebound will be slowed.As the high speed compression is okay I will be adjusting for slow and mid-speed compression via the spring preload.I already have some Ohlins springs installed with an Ohlins on the rear of the Exup.

As for the Lathe,I bought an excellent owners manual from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myford-Lathe-Manual-ML7-R-Super/dp/0852427751

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1