Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR 600 1991 H Reg - What's it worth?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: CBR 600 1991 H Reg - What's it worth? Reply with quote

Looking at a CBR600 1991, H Reg.

Just been MOTed, went through fine.

Bodywork is all fine, if a little tatty.

Sounds good, no knocks anything like that.

What would you pay for one if you were to buy one?

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tvchimp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

£600-700 max for me.

It's a very old bike for me (I was born in '87). Still easy enough to get parts for, but when you can buy a '99 plate CBR with <20k miles for around £1200, why would you buy a 20year old bike with the same(if not more) miles for the same money?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:00 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

H-Plate, 90/91. Is it the last of the jelly-mould models, or the more inspired F2?

F2 is the better bike, and last of the gear driven cams; and the one I would go for (and nearly have a couple of times), as a 'rider'.

All down to condition though; last one I looked at, was clean, tidy pretty much straight & original; but obviously 'used'. £600-£750, pretty much top book for one.

Jelly-mold model; its ugly, under-powered and overwight. I had CBX550 when they launched it, and no more powerful, I just thought "Why?!" And still do.

Unmolested original examples though are now very rare; and as a future classic, the one to go for.

As a resto-base, you'd want something pretty much all there, significantly the harder to find 'standard' bits like factory exhaust and ful compliment of original plastics, most importantly the awkward 'fill in' bits, and inserts.

Most I would pay for any Jelly mold would be £500, but future classic? Who knows what a stunning brochure standard model may fetch in a few years time, now that are quarter century old?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:56 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike,

a bit off topic, and this is certainly not having a go at you, but do you not find that the term "future classic" is banded around far too often over the past year or so ?

it seems to me that everything over 10 years old is a "future classic", and I'm pretty sure i'm right in saying that the bikes which were absolute dogs to buy and run are now reckoned as "classics" too.

Point in case, the suzuki katana. When i was first getting into bikes (late 80's early 90's), kat's were pretty much a laughing stock. Now, apparently, they're some sort of new wave awesome......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
H-Plate, 90/91. Is it the last of the jelly-mould models, or the more inspired F2?

F2 is the better bike, and last of the gear driven cams; and the one I would go for (and nearly have a couple of times), as a 'rider'.

The F2 hasn't got gear driven cams it's camchain same as all the other CBR600s, are you getting confused with the earlier 750 and 800 VFRs, or the various 400s and 1000s that had the gear driven cams?

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
mike,

a bit off topic, and this is certainly not having a go at you, but do you not find that the term "future classic" is banded around far too often over the past year or so ?

it seems to me that everything over 10 years old is a "future classic", and I'm pretty sure i'm right in saying that the bikes which were absolute dogs to buy and run are now reckoned as "classics" too.

Point in case, the suzuki katana. When i was first getting into bikes (late 80's early 90's), kat's were pretty much a laughing stock. Now, apparently, they're some sort of new wave awesome......

You're right about everything becoming a "future classic" just because it's old, I'd go further back to the Brit era where piles of junk you couldn't rely on are mostly now "classics"
I would argue over the Katana though, it was totally different at the time it was released to all the other bikes looks wise therefore current bikers then either loved it or hated it.
It certainly wasn't/isn't a dog though there was nothing wrong with it all apart from the personal taste of it's looks. Bit like the Busa you either love or hate it's looks.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:17 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzer wrote:
The F2 hasn't got gear driven cams it's camchain same as all the other CBR600s, are you getting confused with the earlier 750 and 800 VFRs, or the various 400s and 1000s that had the gear driven cams?

No.... Honda's reputation for cam-chains was, in the early 80's a joke.

They then went and built a DOHC V4, with double the trouble, and people laughed when they ate thier own cylinder heads.

They pioneered gear-driven cams on the 1985 VF1000R, Homologation Special 'Super-Bike', made for just one year, but listed in the catalogues for at least three, and sat in the dealers show rooms for up to five, becouse they dropped the Super-Bike capacity limit for 'fours' from 1100cc to 750 they year it was launched, so it was raced only in some Endurance classes and for one year on the island in F1 that still had the older higher limit.

The il-fated VF750, was huredly backed up by the conventional air-cooled, accross the frame four, CBX750, fror two model years while they re-engineered it with the VF1000R's cam drive and gave it more up to the minute full fairing styling to make it the VFR750...

Meanwhile; the whole reason for Honda promoting the V4 concept had been that in thier words NO-ONE could make an accross the frame water cooled 'four' without making it even wider and more bulky and unwieldy than the air cooled fours were critasised for....

And Kawasaki launched the GPz600 and GPz900 proving them VERY wrong....

The CBR600, was hench launched with much face saving publicity, about how Honda had 'invented' the accross the frame four concept, and were returning to prove that they could do it 'best' and bringing gear driven cams, was a big part of that... to teh point that they actually had 'gear driven cams' written on teh fairing, rather than yet another ambigiouse TLA, like Honda GDC.

It was employed on the CBR6, and the CBR1000, and was carried over to the lighter styled F2 before being dropped for the later models around 98/99, becouse most modern buyers are too young to remember...

> Knock Knock....
< Who's There?
> Honda Ca-am-CHAIN!

Jokes.... and gear driven cams are expensive to make and make servicing and tuning and making design changes more difficult.

Few other features of the original CBR600, the fully enclosed jelly-mould styling was vaunted as being inspired by the cutting edge of Italian design...... it mimicked of ALL the elegant offerings of the italian factories.... the Ducati Paso!

It was claimed as a logical conclusion to modern design; offering sleek, clean lines, and seemless aerodynamics... but also covering the 'ugly' mess of a water cooled engine, offering cost savings from not having to cosmetically finish engine components.... I recall that the press launch bikes didn't even have 'Honda' cast on the crankcase covers....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:31 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Neither the CBR600 or CBR1000 had gear driven cams. The 1000 when not long launched was well known for cam chain issues.

The Japanese market CBR400 Aero (which looks very much like the early 600) did have gear driven cams, and the later CBR400s continued with gear driven cams along with the little CBR250.

All the best

Keith

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:56 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

> Knock Knock....
< Who's There?
> Honda Ca-am-CHAIN!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to pay for a new keyboard, if I can't mop up all the Irn Bru I just spat on this one. Very Happy

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote and I can say that the F2's aren't gear driven cams and are cam chain.

With regards to the OP its really diffucult to tell. I've got a 94 I was trying to decide what it was worth but they seem to go from around £500-£1500.

I'd stick it on ebay with a £500 reserve and let people decide what its worth to them.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:05 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Early CBR600 cam chain parts listing

A CBR600 should have left a CBX550 for dead. Around 1/3 more power and about 20mph faster.

All the best

Keith

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Bezzer wrote:

No.... Honda's reputation for cam-chains was, in the early 80's a joke.
..... and loads and loads loads of more irrelevant bollacks

CBR600s never had gear driven cams they all had camchains full stop.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:33 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Early CBR600 cam chain parts listing

A CBR600 should have left a CBX550 for dead. Around 1/3 more power and about 20mph faster.

All the best

Keith

Well, my confidence is rocked; but I was positive the early series CBR's were gear-cam.

Jelly mold CBR vs CBX.... a CRB probably would have left one for dead... most were... usually with snapped cam-chains!

(How I came to have one! Uncle bought it. It needed a 'service'... a week, and a new front wheel spindle, later, after beating the thing into submission with a lump hammer to change the brake pads.... it was in commission, and on second post purchase glee-ride... exploded spectacularly, when the Cam Chain snapped!..... Faced with rebuild cost, he bought a CBX750; and abandoned it in the garage; and he attempted a DIY rebuild, getting many parts mixed up with those from the 'spare' engine from his F3 class CB550/TZ hybrid, until a mate of a mate took it all away and sorted it out, for some beer money. And he put motor back in frame, and took it for MOT, which it failed for blown fork seals.... faced with the hydrailic/mechanical Trac-Anti-Dive..... it sat for some more while, with blocks under the sump and the forks on the bench... at which point it was offered to me.... the 'worst' I thought 'over', it WAS briefly a pretty impressive bike; but in interfamily muggering around, Uncle had it back off me, and 'loaned' it to an employee, who getting the V5 in his name, then sold it and did a flit!)

But CBX550, was nearly a full 600 at 573cc; and book spec said it made 75bhp, which was I thought withing bhp of the '86 jelly-mould CBR, while the weight of the air-cooled, unfaired CBX meant it tipped the scales about 10/15Kg under that of the full faired CBR, specs may put them closer, but with the CBX air cooled, dry weight figures would flatter the CBR.

On paper, there wasn't a lot in it; CBX had I think better back suspension with forged ali swing arm & pro-link monoshock; where CBR I thought was steel arm, mono-shock. CBX suffered 18" comstars and STUPID inboard, inside out disc brakes, and dubiouse anti-dive front forks; but the heavily vented cast rotors and I'm sure they were four pot calipers, meant brakes were bludy good, if well fettled (when they were good they were very very good; when they weren't they were simply horrid!), while conservative 18" wheels and geometry, fitted with arrowmax's, were not unrespectable. Cant remember if the early jelly-moulds had de-rigeur 16" front wheel, I know VF's did, and they were rather 'twitchy' on them.... CBR, with box section trellis frame, was of a new generation, compared to the CBX, BUT, there wasn't a lot between them in the swings and roundabouts of the spec, and on the road? Well, CBX probably needed a bit more committed rider to get the best from it, and did need to be in tip-top fettle; but they weren't leagues apart.

It was certainly not enough to make me want to trade in the 'money-pit' CBX and take out an HP agreement on one, I was more inclined by the VF500, apart from spending half an afternoon helping a mate with one try and find the ruddy spark plugs to change them, only to discover they were an unusual size and the OE tool kit had 'walked' so we didn't have box spanner deep enough to undo them!

Mate had the CBR1000, and I was absolutely positive that had Gear-Driven-Cam actually written out in full in the graphics on the fairing.

So convinced CBR's were GDC, I was actually taken aback when people started talking of CCT failure on post 99 CBR's, I actually had to check, and thought it rather 'sneaky' of Honda to have vaunted GDC so strongly, to get over thier Cam-Chain reputation to have snook back to them!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:37 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Book figures I have are 65hp for the CBX550 and 86 for the CBR600, so well up on power. The claimed weights are 182kg for the CBR and 184kg for the CBX.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Mate had the CBR1000, and I was absolutely positive that had Gear-Driven-Cam actually written out in full in the graphics on the fairing.

The Japanese market CBR750 which looks like the early CBR1000 did had gear driven cams. Possible your mate had a 750, or had a set of 750 fairings on his 1000.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1