Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike won't start/cuts out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

snikks
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:58 - 18 Nov 2011    Post subject: Bike won't start/cuts out Reply with quote

Hi All,

So, I head out to the garage this morning, give the bike a swift check-over, unlock it and wheel it out. Choke on, start it up, and leave it to warm whilst I get the rest of my kit on.

The bike was idling at around 2k rpm, which is fairly normal for with the choke on, usually struggles a little then as it warms gradually reaches 3k rpm, at which point I can choke off and ride, taking it a little easy at first of course. Not today however, I turned to put my helmet on, turned back and the bike had cut out. At this point it'd been running for probably a minute.

So I go to restart it, nothing, the starter sounds to be turning it fine, but it won't catch. Try switching it off and on again (can you tell I'm used to working with computers?) no difference.

After prolonged testing, I can verify that the bike will start and turn over a few revolutions before cutting out if I:

Turn the ignition on, turn the choke on, don't touch the throttle, and press the starter. This gets me about 2-3 seconds.
    Turn the ignition on, leave choke off, give a little throttle and press the starter - the bike will start and by giving more throttle I can keep it going longer, about 4-5 seconds up to about 2k rpm, before it will again cut out.

All the facts I can think of to list are:

When I first turn the ignition on there is a small "buzz" sound that I'd never worried about. However this seems a little louder than normal to me.
    The engine when it does run, sounds "clunkier" is the best way I can put it. Not smooth like normal at all.
    The oil level looks okay (although the oil is a little dark, I'd been procrastinating changing it).
    The coolant level looks ok although I can't see it hugely well without taking a side-panel off. I did have a problem with my radiator leaking that I previously posted about, but that seems to be solved and the point that was leaking before is definitely dry.
    I've tried flicking the sidestand up and down, and changing the gears out of and back into neutral.
    I haven't tried to bump it, as my driveway opens directly onto a busy main road, so there's not really any space to do so.
    The battery seems ok to me, as far as can be told without a multi-meter. The same thing happens with the headlights completely off.

Here's hoping one of you wise bods can point me in the right direction.

Edit: This SEEMS to be fixed now - cleaned up the end of the fuel tank breather as it was caked in road gunk, and opened/closed the tank to check petrol level by eye (just in case gauge was faulty), fired it up again and it started perfectly, just as normal. Took it out for a little ride, just up/down the street as I'm supposed to be working from home due to my broken bike today. Fingers crossed that's nailed it and it was just a minor blockage at the end of the breather.

CEDR
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you seem to have fixed this, but it sounds relatively similar to a problem (one of many!) my bike is having! Same things in terms of the weird buzz noise and clunky sounding engine. Doesn't help that in addition when I press the ignition it often doesn't do ANYTHING, which when you've stalled in the middle of the road is a bit stressful!

Mine's just a 125 so it seems that if I give it a nudge forwards in Netural whilst pressing the ignition, it seems to be more likely to fire up and start! What a headache!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazablue
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 05:50 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Bike won't start/cuts out Reply with quote

a simple thing ..if your petroll cap has a good seal then when after a run or big change in weather temp a vaccuum can be created therefore the carb wouldnt refill...was once a common prob on brit cars...remove cap and release vac u may hear a pop/suck noise....as per blocked breather(which is why you have one)..if I dont start its always the first thung I do and as for the other reply,,,winters coming,if in doubt sling yer battery,not worth plaing with,if good put on trickle charge once a week AND check electrolyte level weekly!!!!!
snikks wrote:
Hi All,

So, I head out to the garage this morning, give the bike a swift check-over, unlock it and wheel it out. Choke on, start it up, and leave it to warm whilst I get the rest of my kit on.

The bike was idling at around 2k rpm, which is fairly normal for with the choke on, usually struggles a little then as it warms gradually reaches 3k rpm, at which point I can choke off and ride, taking it a little easy at first of course. Not today however, I turned to put my helmet on, turned back and the bike had cut out. At this point it'd been running for probably a minute.

So I go to restart it, nothing, the starter sounds to be turning it fine, but it won't catch. Try switching it off and on again (can you tell I'm used to working with computers?) no difference.

After prolonged testing, I can verify that the bike will start and turn over a few revolutions before cutting out if I:

Turn the ignition on, turn the choke on, don't touch the throttle, and press the starter. This gets me about 2-3 seconds.
    Turn the ignition on, leave choke off, give a little throttle and press the starter - the bike will start and by giving more throttle I can keep it going longer, about 4-5 seconds up to about 2k rpm, before it will again cut out.

When I first turn the ignition on there is a small "buzz" sound that I'd never worried about. However this seems a little louder than normal to me.
    The engine when it does run, sounds "clunkier" is the best way I can put it. Not smooth like normal at all.
    The oil level looks okay (although the oil is a little dark, I'd been procrastinating changing it).
    The coolant level looks ok although I can't see it hugely well without taking a side-panel off. I did have a problem with my radiator leaking that I previously posted about, but that seems to be solved and the point that was leaking before is definitely dry.
    I've tried flicking the sidestand up and down, and changing the gears out of and back into neutral.
    I haven't tried to bump it, as my driveway opens directly onto a busy main road, so there's not really any space to do so.
    The battery seems ok to me, as far as can be told without a multi-meter. The same thing happens with the headlights completely off.

Edit: This SEEMS to be fixed now - cleaned up the end of the fuel tank breather as it was caked in road gunk, and opened/closed the tank to check petrol level by eye (just in case gauge was faulty), fired it up again and it started perfectly, just as normal. Took it out for a little ride, just up/down the street as I'm supposed to be working from home due to my broken bike today. Fingers crossed that's nailed it and it was just a minor blockage at the end of the breather.

bazablue
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 05:50 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Bike won't start/cuts out Reply with quote

a simple thing ..if your petroll cap has a good seal then when after a run or big change in weather temp a vaccuum can be created therefore the carb wouldnt refill...was once a common prob on brit cars...remove cap and release vac u may hear a pop/suck noise....as per blocked breather(which is why you have one)..if I dont start its always the first thung I do and as for the other reply,,,winters coming,if in doubt sling yer battery,not worth plaing with,if good put on trickle charge once a week AND check electrolyte level weekly!!!!!
snikks wrote:
Hi All,

stephen13
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:15 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all i have an aprilla rs 50 electric start i have a problem with the bike it will not start has had new spark plug new battery and fuse box the carb has been cleaned out in the garage yesterday and they still could not get it to start as well any ideas pls thanks ste
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen13 wrote:
hi all i have an aprilla rs 50 electric start i have a problem with the bike it will not start has had new spark plug new battery and fuse box the carb has been cleaned out in the garage yesterday and they still could not get it to start as well any ideas pls thanks ste

Put this in another thread or you will be ignored by BCF Inteligentsia.

If all the above is done 'properly' i.e. all the fiddly bits put back into the carburettor correctly then it should go 1st turn.

If you have the manufacturer's owner's handbook refer to starting for the way they suggest.
Failing that. A rule of thumb:

I normally start a bike with a choke on FULL choke.
Turn over until it starts but not over and over and over and over, no more than 20-30 seconds. If you keep hammering the starter you can burn out the starter copper windings and or flatten the battery.

If the bike starts let it run on choke until the rpm is steady.
If you are not going to ride off then let move the choke to off gradually as it warms.

The choke is only a device that adds more petrol to the air-fuel mixture. (In a cold engine the atomised fuel from the carb. can condense on the internal surfaces of the engine. This has the effect of making the mixture too weak or 'lean'. At running temperature there is little or no condensation and all the fuel goes to the cylinder.

If you leave the choke on too long you are just wasting fuel so it is better to ride off as soon as the engine is started and reduce the amount of choke as the engine heats up under load.

You may be flooding the engine when you try to start it after rebuild.

It can take a few seconds for the carb to fill with fuel after you turn the tap on (if fitted) the level of fuel in the carb can also be a significant part of the control for fuel mixture.
When you flood the engine you are putting too much fuel into the combustion space which means the fuel will not ignite.

To un-flood the engine.
Turn of the choke.
Hold the throttle wide open (against the stop).
Turn the engine over several times.
This should blow mostly air through the engine and purge the combustion space of over fuelled air.

Again put the choke to full.
Just crack the throttle open very slightly and hold it there. Until you can just feel resistance of the cable/spring etc.
Turn the engine over until it starts.
When started you can then phanny about with it as above to get the engine to a steady idle with the choke off.

If that doesn't help then you may have to look at your carburettor settings again. Or have someone who knows check it for you.
Ensure you are getting fuel to the carburettor and that you are not using fuel that has been in a can or fuel tank for a year or more.

If it has an automatic choke then you may need to look at that too.

stephen13
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:55 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done all that and nothing tried bump starting all that happend was the speedo move to just below 3 rpm also can smell petrol when did this as well and the mph moved a little as well any ideas would i need a new engine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Spark at the Sparking plug.

I've known engine to keep running with next to nothing left of the piston rings.
Not very well and very smoky but started an ran after an afair.

stephen13
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:07 - 22 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a spark but very little thougth
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1