Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Homegrown digital dash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
Pah! Be open source and give your design files away, but also sell the assembled ones for a bit cash.

If he put all that time and effort into his own design, why give that info away for free?

Awesome idea looking good so far

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:35 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
Pah! Be open source and give your design files away, but also sell the assembled ones for a bit cash.

This is what I'm doing, mate.
I wouldn't have posted the current wiring layout if I was going to keep it all a secret now, would I? Wink

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:52 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

the datalogging would sell alone. Just leave it open for the buyer to put the inputs where they need to and all you do is direct it to memory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:08 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I've been looking more into this, and lamenting my complete inability at electronic design.
This is not an admission of defeat.

I've been mapping out the probable data line usage on the arduino, and it's looking like the mega is going to be needed, if I'm to include comprehensive datalogging. By comprehensive, I mean *everything*. I can, provided I can get the timing right, take a complete record of the state of the bike at any given point, if the SD card can be written fast enough (with meaningful content).

For a more minimal dash, I can economise enough to make use of the Boarduino with no problems, and a significantly smaller footprint.

So - the options are (and I'm intending to play with both of these, so don't despair):
1) no datalogging at all - this will work with a boarduino - i gain 6 digital lines, two of which have pwm capability (this is useful). This gives me a dash with sensor feeds (temp, tacho, speedo, fuel), as well as a couple of lines so I can have pushbutton inputs to switch between screens with no problems;
2) epic datalogging on the back of a porky board - I get the sensor feeds listed above, plus GPS, XYZ accelerometer (when I get one - they're not overly pricey), TPS data, gear display, I can even include a log of what the idiot lights were doing, and when. For the engine tuners among you, there's also the possibility of tracking air intake pressure, amongst other things.

I'm going to focus on the non-datalogging one for now, because that will at least require a bit less coding, as well as being much easier to prototype.

Between reading significantly huge tracts of electronic theory and trying things out, I shall report back.

:edit: Also, in the interests of keeping you lot informed, it looks like the parts costs for doing the epic logger of doom is ~£80, but that's without including the costs of an enclosure, and it's minus a few resistors and some wire. Let's call it a round £90. Obviously, this doesn't account for my time/effort, but I thought you might like to know.

However, this is the bit that'll blow your minds. The version that includes no datalogging comes in at (minus enclosure and a couple of analogue bits) ~£30. This isn't accounting for import duty in either case, and I'm hoping I can find UK suppliers for the screen soon, but for now, that's still apocalyptically cheap compared to the alternatives on the market.

Last edited by nowhere.elysium on 13:21 - 19 Dec 2011; edited 1 time in total

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:15 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make me get the Moar Boar.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:28 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Don't make me get the Moar Boar.

I'm working as fast as I can Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:07 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - here's the schematic for the basic one, using a Boarduino (the application I was using doesn't have a proper graphic for one, so I used the nearest approximation).
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6537649519_335ff3370e_z.jpg

Because I haven't bothered checking the voltages on the sensors yet, I put a voltage regulator in front of all of them, operating on the assumption that they're all rated for 12v.
As you can see, there are two buttons included, which will allow me to select between screens, and reset trip meters (there'll be one per screen, I reckon; main trip and 'between fuel stops' trip).

At the moment, I'm thinking that I'll probably re-route some of this, so the 8th, 10th and 11th pin from the ST7565 display go to PWM pins, so I can use colour gradations for the backlight.
I also routed all of the sensors to the analogue input side, but that was purely to avoid getting a migraine while plotting all this out. The analogue pins can be used as digital lines if they need to be, although I'm going to try and keep them available as much as I can, because they're a rarer resource than the digital ones.

Tomorrow's supposed to be a nice day, so I think I'll wait 'til then to head down to the garage with a multimeter and a camera, and start checking out the ratings on various SV components.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:28 - 19 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G has a lot to answer for.
He's managed to convince me to roll in a function to control an MD80 camera. While I can't do exactly what he wants with the hardware/expertise at my disposal, I can do the following: on the uber-build (the one with all the sensors), I can add a simple on/off controller for the MD80 camera, as well as hopefully being able to hack in a feed from the RTC that'll be built in to the dash. This means that I've got perfect synchronisation between the readings from the dash, and the video feed. as such, there'll be detailed telemetry available, alongside a video/audio feed of the ride, so that weird 'cough' that happened about three miles in can be found a lot more readily, because people tend to remember what they see better than the exact time.

I'm going to continue working on the basic one for now, although I've got a pair of MD80 cameras on order, so I can pull one apart, and see what makes it tick. Conveniently, there are schematics available for them, so it makes it significantly easier to wire in external controls. Forunately, I'm fairly good at detailed work, so soldering any new lines in will be do-able. Just very, very time consuming.

I'll keep you all posted as best I can.

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a bigger version of your circuit diagram?

Starting simple sounds like the right idea Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:49 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
Have you got a bigger version of your circuit diagram?

Starting simple sounds like the right idea Thumbs Up

Yeah, I should be able to produce one. The software I'm using is a bit, well, quirky. It's called Fritzing, and it's very much a beta package.

Let me try to tidy it up a bit today, and I'll do an enlarged version.

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:45 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, a simple 12v charger/on off switch would be very handy for an md80.

HINT HINT.

Thumbs Up Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:57 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
It's called Fritzing

Thought that was a basement design program Wink

Loving the idea of the MD80 add in Thumbs Up
Got the feeling this will be good competition for the B12 Turbo Laughing

Great work so far Mr. Green

Last edited by P. on 17:48 - 20 Dec 2011; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:19 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Got the feeling this will be good competition for the B12 Turbo Laughing

Competition? Sod that. CHR15 knows what he's doing - I'm just flailing wildly, and writing it up when it works out in my favour. Laughing

TDM evangelist wrote:
On a side note, a simple 12v charger/on off switch would be very handy for an md80.

That's fairly simple - the MD80 charges off a 5V supply, so a voltage regulator should be fine for that. You could probably do away with the battery, too - I don't think that it's complex enough to involve any kind of intelligent charging
THere's a schematic for the MD80 available here - it's a pdf file, and it looks to be complete. Karma to whoever finds me an RTC input line on there, or something that I can chop out to replace with my own.

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:21 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new electronics bitch wrote:

TDM evangelist wrote:

That's fairly simple

Sweet knock one up and bring it round tonight yeah? Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:22 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want a waterproof bluetooth remote for my iphone Thumbs Up

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RTC is done inside the ASIC (SPCA1527A) and I think is set by the 32.768KHz crystal. 4th comment on this blog tells you it's in the ASIC.

Don't think you have much control of the RTC without interfacing with the chip. Although I haven't looked into it too much

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:35 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've become a properly cheeky bitch since getting your custom title, haven't you Laughing

The MD80 power supply will be integrated into the whole unit, but a circuit diagram will be available, so you'll have just as much fun with the DIY learning curve as I've been having.

Alternately, what could be done is to determine whether the thing will run while it's charging (I've heard tell that it might not), and if it does, then just hack up a USB lead, and wire up the red and black ones to a voltage regulator that goes to the battery.
If it does stop recording when there's a USB lead connected, then you can just break the line that detects the presence of a lead - it's a spur from the positive line coming out of the USB socket, that goes to a line labelled 'USB_DET' in section 4A of the schematic I linked to. You'll lose the use of the USB connection, unless you include some kind of switch, but soldering at that scale is a bitch. You'd have to transfer footage off using a MicroSD reader, but that may well prove to be faster anyway, given that a lot of these small cameras don't have the fastest transfer rates in the world.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:51 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to do is integrate the MD80, then find a nice way of using a 500GB drive for prolonged recording and set it up so you can turn it on/off recording on the dash Cool

Then, I will buy one Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:07 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
You've become a properly cheeky bitch since getting your custom title, haven't you Laughing

You can't talk like that to me on my forum! Laughing

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 18:18 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

You can't talk like that to me on my forum! Laughing

pipe down old man Wink

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:32 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
The RTC is done inside the ASIC (SPCA1527A) and I think is set by the 32.768KHz crystal. 4th comment on this blog tells you it's in the ASIC.

Don't think you have much control of the RTC without interfacing with the chip. Although I haven't looked into it too much

Just read that, and had another look at the schematic. Looks like pins 79 and 80 attach directly to the crystal, so yup, you're totally right. Bugger.
The easiest way of solving this, insofar as I can see, is to makes sure that both the Arduino and the MD80 are originally set by the same external clock. That way, they'll have a calibrated starting point. The only caveat is if they lose power completely. They've both got batteries, though, and they'll also both be lashed to the bike's wiring loom, so that should minimise the risk of total power failure.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:10 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1391735

Read the first few posts. suggests that the md80 can be used as a webcam, meaning it would need to be plugged into a USB port and have the 3v supply.

Could you set it as webcam mode a direct the video to storage? Or would that mean hacking the camera?

Just a thought but webcam mode does mean not storing the video/audio data.

Also there's an enclosure for the board here
https://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_74&products_id=563

Not sure if you already knew Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:33 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven_191 wrote:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1391735

Read the first few posts. suggests that the md80 can be used as a webcam, meaning it would need to be plugged into a USB port and have the 3v supply.

Could you set it as webcam mode a direct the video to storage? Or would that mean hacking the camera?

Just a thought but webcam mode does mean not storing the video/audio data.

I'm not quite sure where you're going with this: the point of having the camera is to be able to record what's going on. If I just set it as a webcam, then it means that I'd have to have something that can parse the footage appropriately, encode it, and record it at a suitable speed. The arduino really isn't up to that. Nor am I really up to the challenge of writing a camera library for arduino.

steven_191 wrote:

Also there's an enclosure for the board here
https://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_74&products_id=563

Not sure if you already knew Thumbs Up

I've got my eye on a few from maplins, for the prototype. Nothing too flashy, because it's likely to be chopped and changed a bit over the initial settling in period. I'd prefer to design something myself after that, and get it fabbed up. I used to have access to a 3D printer, and a Roland Modela, but thanks to weird departmental changes at work, I don't know where they are anymore.

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 20 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
The easiest way of solving this, insofar as I can see, is to makes sure that both the Arduino and the MD80 are originally set by the same external clock. That way, they'll have a calibrated starting point. The only caveat is if they lose power completely.

Yeah calibrated starting point is easiest in my eyes, I also doubt you'd notice clock even over a 24 hour ride.

nowhere.elysium wrote:
They've both got batteries, though, and they'll also both be lashed to the bike's wiring loom, so that should minimise the risk of total power failure.

If they've got separate batteries then you'll need to link the grounds together between batteries so they share the same ground. And think about some diodes to prevent the batteries trying to power the loom or loom charge the batteries. Could be easier to share a battery between them both.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:47 - 21 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only mention the webcam function because you mentioned in may not work as a camera when plugged into the USB. If not the options are to make the camera think its not plugged in whilst giving it a supply charge (why would the manufacturer stop this in the first place??), or use it on battery.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19