Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Homegrown digital dash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:01 - 13 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codemonkey wrote:
Its hard to see from your layout, but I can't see any decoupling capacitors. Ideally you want a 100nF (0.1uF) capacitor across the power supply, one for each IC and as close as possible to the devices as you can get them. It would be handy of you could post the schematic as it may make things a bit clearer.

You're quite right, I completely forgot about them. I'll put together a schematic when I get the chance.

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 14 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
I've nearly got a PCB design sorted now. Designing it for a single-sided board is proving to be significant amounts of arseache, though: I've currently got ~16 jumper wires, to try and keep it all as tidy as possible.

Unless, of course, someone wants to make up the PCBs for me, and can do both double-sided and through-hole plating, too...

I'll post a picture of it when I've got it done.

Thought about using PCBTrain express service? Pretty good and cheap for prototyping.

Another trick is to print out the PCB at a 1:1 scale and place the components on the paper to make sure they actually fit.

Send us a PM when you've done the final design and I'll have a look at it. Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:30 - 14 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augh. The program that I've used to generate the PCB so far is crap, and I can't make any sense of the parts bin in Eagle - there's just too many, and the descriptions that go with them make very little sense.

What I'll do is knock up a double-sided design, since I've already got a single-sided one sorted, and get the exported results from that. The program I'm using spits out a group of PDF files, which I should be able to send over to you.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:53 - 14 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's an updated (and almost finalised) version of the board. The only thing remaining is to label everything properly, and place some kind of multiplexer on there for the idiot lights.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which one to use? I'd prefer something DIL-shaped, just because it's what I've already been working with, and it's less of a pain to solder in place. I've got four analogue pins left at my disposal, although they'll all function as digital pins if needs be.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7220/7371883908_6e3fb476b1_z.jpg

:edit:

Here's the (hopefully) final layout, unless someone wishes to improve upon it for me.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8161/7372716374_f29ffff4f4_z.jpg

This includes a multiplexer, to accommodate the idiot lights (although I'll have to incorporate extra code to interpret what's incoming). It also has header pins for the coolant thermistor, and the speedometer hall effect sensor.

However, now that I've uploaded this, I see that I've still forgotten the bloody decoupling capacitors. Balls.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:05 - 21 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny update: I've just found out that the graphics library I was using has been subject to a massive overhaul; this includes significantly improved font support, which means that I can stop using bitmaps for the larger speedo numbers. Hurrah!

That's all, for now. I'll be off work next week, so should (with luck/motivation) be able to carry on with this, and hopefully knock most of it on the head.

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 21 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you not tidy up the bottom left hand corner. Line up the passive components and get rid of that diagonal track. Also have you considered the track widths for how much power they are carrying? Hazard a guess it isn't an issue in this project but just for reference.

Feel your pain for finding components in Eagle, total pain in the arse, but once you learn how to find stuff it becomes easier than making your own components.

Shame you can't use SMD stuff as you'd be able to get the design tiny!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 08:54 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
Could you not tidy up the bottom left hand corner. Line up the passive components and get rid of that diagonal track. Also have you considered the track widths for how much power they are carrying? Hazard a guess it isn't an issue in this project but just for reference.

Feel your pain for finding components in Eagle, total pain in the arse, but once you learn how to find stuff it becomes easier than making your own components.

Shame you can't use SMD stuff as you'd be able to get the design tiny!

Yeah, I'm going to be shouting at Eagle until either it or I gives up, this week. I'm hoping that I win, and end up designing an SMD PCB, but only time will tell.

In unrelated, but totally awesome news, I ordered the 3D printer today. Should be here in a month or so. Just after the BBQ, unfortunately, but still: epic, epic win.

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

try design spark, it can use eagle libraries from wht i understnad, can auto place as well as manual place auot route along with full manual, took me an hour to learn how to use it so sholdn't take you long

https://www.picaxe.com/Software/Third-Party/DesignSpark-PCB/

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 23 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

However, now that I've uploaded this, I see that I've still forgotten the bloody decoupling capacitors. Balls.

... and C1 and C2 need to be connected to ground somewhere!
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:58 - 24 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is the point where it's made clear that I genuinely have no idea what I'm doing with the electronics Laughing

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 24 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Yeah, this is the point where it's made clear that I genuinely have no idea what I'm doing with the electronics Laughing

More of an idea than me!

I picked up my MPX5010GP the other day and proceeded to spend quite a while just guessing what the acronyms meant and where I should connect the terminals to.

3 of them are connected, 3 of them aren't, but I'm getting some readings so that's good enough for me. Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:46 - 20 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090317165118/uncyclopedia/images/d/d6/MOAR.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:12 - 20 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
https://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090317165118/uncyclopedia/images/d/d6/MOAR.jpg

I'm waiting for the 3D printer to arrive. Should be here early next week, so updates will be happening.
The question is; does the 3D printer build process warrant its own thread?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 20 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
The question is; does the 3D printer build process warrant its own thread?

I vote aye.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 18:44 - 20 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like XTAL2 has capacitors to ground - is this intended? Usually you'd stick a couple of capacitors to ground if they are being used as an oscillator, around 15-20pf. Looks like you have some on the other crystal but they're not grounded. Did you do a schematic in eagle before doing the PCB? If so then you can be sure that you'll never make a mistake like that, because it checks the PCB against the schematic.

Also, consider surface mount components next time. Much less faff - I haven't used through-hole components for anything for years and years. They're harder to solder, but that's just a matter of getting better at soldering. Surface mount components are cheaper, you can make smaller circuits, and you don't have to drill holes.

This doesn't help you now, but you'll find it easier to debug the board if the tracks and layout are a little more ordered, without so many different angles on the tracks.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:14 - 20 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
It doesn't look like XTAL2 has capacitors to ground - is this intended? Usually you'd stick a couple of capacitors to ground if they are being used as an oscillator, around 15-20pf. Looks like you have some on the other crystal but they're not grounded. Did you do a schematic in eagle before doing the PCB? If so then you can be sure that you'll never make a mistake like that, because it checks the PCB against the schematic.

Also, consider surface mount components next time. Much less faff - I haven't used through-hole components for anything for years and years. They're harder to solder, but that's just a matter of getting better at soldering. Surface mount components are cheaper, you can make smaller circuits, and you don't have to drill holes.

This doesn't help you now, but you'll find it easier to debug the board if the tracks and layout are a little more ordered, without so many different angles on the tracks.

I'd like to do SMD designs, but I'm still struggling with Eagle. This PCB was designed in a thoroughly alpha-flavoured bit of software called Fritzing. I haven't actually made the PCB yet, and you're not the first person to mention the lack of grounds - I was just cribbing those bits of my design from other people's work, because I'm really not any good at electronics; I can program the Arduino, and I know what it is that I want the hardware to do, but stitching it all together does go over my head pretty quickly.
If anyone fancies going over the design properly, they're more than welcome to. If anything, I'd treat it as a brilliant learning experience.
As for the 3D printer, consider a new thread to be waiting for its arrival.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:04 - 25 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Have a teaser shot:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7644996802_8e69969636_z.jpg

Next week will be full of interesting build photos.

U_W v2.0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:06 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i know we dont often see eye to eye, but i have worked in eagle for approx 400 hours. so if you need any help using the software drop me a pm with what you need the help with. That said im not an expert in the software. but will defo try to help.

really looking forward to seeing how your new toy works out though and how the unit progresses.

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:10 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now shake hands....

Mr. Green
Thumbs Up
Suntan Sid said: "Look at it this way, your employer wants to pay you the minimum amount, it thinks it can get away with, and extract from you the maximum amount of graft. Ergo it's your responsibility to ensure that karma is restored and you do as little work as you think you can get away with, for the maximum amount of money."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Heh. Have a teaser shot:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7644996802_8e69969636_z.jpg

Next week will be full of interesting build photos.

If you have any questions give me a shout, I've built one for work and am in the process of a full re-design. So have found solutions to most of the problems that will defiantly arise.

The main problems that ive come across are Software/Firmware combinations. Currently running Skeinforge 40 and Marlin, these are giving the best results so far. Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:00 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilligaf_NO wrote:
hey, i know we dont often see eye to eye, but i have worked in eagle for approx 400 hours. so if you need any help using the software drop me a pm with what you need the help with. That said im not an expert in the software. but will defo try to help.

really looking forward to seeing how your new toy works out though and how the unit progresses.

Well, that's a legitimate olive branch, and I'll accept it as such. I don't have any significant problems with the software itself, it's finding the correct parts in the massive parts bin that's the issue. For example: what's the appropriate part for a generic THD resistor? Or for a TO-220 profile voltage regulator?

Aff - thanks for the heads-up. I'd already looked at skeinforge, but not in any great detail. Still, it's good to know form someone that's already running one.

U_W v2.0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Well, that's a legitimate olive branch, and I'll accept it as such. I don't have any significant problems with the software itself, it's finding the correct parts in the massive parts bin that's the issue. For example: what's the appropriate part for a generic THD resistor? Or for a TO-220 profile voltage regulator?

Aff - thanks for the heads-up. I'd already looked at skeinforge, but not in any great detail. Still, it's good to know form someone that's already running one.

yeah, i'll be honest, i dont actually have any problem with you. and the library of parts is so overwhelming sometimes if you have something like an IC to hand its best to adjust the "zoom" of the schematic/pcb so it matches up as closely to the IC when placed against the screen and try a few different "variations" of the component you need till you find one that fits. The library can be a bit funny at times as well. mine never had a 4N25X IC in it so had to do the above for a 6 pin IC socket.

anyway, watching with interest. GL, and lemme know if i can help

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:14 - 26 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom!

That is all.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:39 - 19 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this? Progress?

Surely not.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7113/7814366550_b87d692d0f_z.jpg

Came out a bit of a misprint, this one - it warped on the heated bed, because I've not got the RepRap in an enclosed environment at the moment. However, it's still pretty damned close, and good enough for a first run of an item I designed before I even had the printer Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:25 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I'm back on the software design for this at the moment, thanks to the libraries being rendered obsolete by the authors some time back.

There's now support for varying contrast, as well as (I think) some rudimentary grayscale handling, so there's a high chance that I can get the display to look properly bling. I'll be experimenting with it over the next few weeks, and will hopefully have something to show for my efforts soon.

I'll be stripping out the useful bits from the old code, but since the graphics library is pretty much core to the whole thing, we're talking about a ground-up rebuild. I'm also going to re-evaluate the PCB designs that I did, largely because they were piss poor, and I've learned a bit since then.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19