Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help. TL won't start

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:21 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Help. TL won't start Reply with quote

Hi,

I got the TL back from the garage last night, and rode it home fine. THis morning, came to fire it up to ride to work, no go. Starter turns, engine turns, but the bike just isn't starting to turn on its own and sparking.

It did briefly run, but only for about 10 seconds, then it stopped when I let the revs drop too much and it wouldn't go again.

I've check the error codes on it, and it's showing that it is fine.

Any suggestions before I go and go down to the spark plugs?

Ste

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFR did that the other morning when the petrol was so low it wasn't going anywhere. I shook it about a bit and it started eventually.

Not sure though, sorry.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:34 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The TL is fuel injected. My guess would be that the fuel pump is not running and it could probably run for a few seconds once on the pressure in the fuel system.

If the pump is running then hold one of the injectors while you are cranking the engine over and see if you can feel it ticking. If not then it may just not be getting a signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

Not sure if either of these would show up as a fault.

After that start looking in a bit more detail.

All the best

Keith

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:38 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel pump is working correctly, I checked it.

The error codes which it can show are: https://www.thumperzone.com/howto/Dealercoupler/codes.jpg

Confused

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:39 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when I got it back from the shop, got it home, ran it in the garage for a minute or two, and it was smokey inside the garage. It's burning oil.

When I left the shop, my mum was in a car behind me, and commented when I spoke to her this evening that it was smelling like it was burning oil.

Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:43 - 26 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Whip the plugs out and check them.

There will be some oil floating round as they will have used some to lube components when they put it together.

Wonder if they set the throttle position sensor wrong.

All the best

Keith

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:20 - 26 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the shop and get them to look at it at yours or for them to pick it up and fix it under the guarantee for the re-build and deliver it back to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:24 - 26 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugs are a bit of a pain. It involves removing radiators. Sad

Going to ring shop tomorrow, get them to pick it up, and I need a courtesey bike really from 'em as well. Will see what happens in the morning then...

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:11 - 26 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a chat with the shop and see what they say, maybe something, maybe nothing, at least then they have been made aware of a concern, perhaps give it another spin if it will go and see if it clears out any. I would definatley make a call to the shop though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 26 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news Ste?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1