Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

quick leccy/fuel question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: quick leccy/fuel question Reply with quote

If a bike runs as normal then all of a sudden just dies, no spluttering or warning etc is it a fair bet to assume either;

a) the fuel cut-out relay

or/and

b) the fuel pump itself

are playing up? I know it could be thousands of things but are the above likely/possible?

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it dies instantly then I wouldn't expect it to be a fuel issue. It would be more like a coil has gone (unless you have more than one), the CDi unit or spark plugs etc. Check all the leads going from the coil(s) and well, check all the leads in general hehe. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:42 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As above, if it is fuel related then it will normally splutter on for a while before dieing.

If it just died without any warning at all (and assuming it hasn't just snapped the crank, or something else serious and probably noisy) then I would look first at the ignition system. As there are 2 coils on you ZXR I would doubt that both would fail at the same time, same for the 4 plugs leads, plugs and caps. That would suggest it is something like the cdi unit, power feed to the cdi, earth to the cdi, crankshaft position sensor, etc.

All the best

Keith

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Thumbs Up

Hmm well that's the third CDI unit that I've put on the bike, plus a new (albeit secondhand) wiring loom is fitted. Confused I doubt any real big damage is done because it starts up merrily enough and sits there on idle now, just when the mechanic went out for a test ride it cut out on him without warning. Still restarted a few minutes later and was able to ride it back though Confused Oh and a new set of coils are on the bike too..

Confused Hmm

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:23 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the entire bike cut out, ie lights and everything? Does it start again in a couple seconds?

As Keith said, if the pump stops working, it will continue running, or trying to run, but it will be spluttering and not really running well. Sounds like you're not getting power to the plugs, so it's just not sparking. Are all the fuses seated correctly>

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights etc all working when it dies. Just cuts out and makes you coast to a halt, as if I'd pushed the killswitch? Maybe the killswitch is messing up? Hmm...

Coils and plugs etc must be working for it to run at all - why would it just not work sometimes? Can't believe the mechanic hasn't seated the plugs correctly TBH.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 12:11 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask the other day if your kill switch was playing up.

Try un-wiring it so its not an option and see if it still happens. If it doesn't happen you know you've got a dicky switch and its saved you a lot of money.
If it does happen well you've lost nothing have you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:18 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the same with the sidestand switch.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm seems the fuel pump keeps playing up. Just spoken to the mechanic with my bike and he's testing the fuel pump and found it keeps stopping and starting Confused I take it this could well be causing it to die? Mentioned the killswitch and that's being played around with to check for shorts etc. Don't you just love electrics Sad

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:55 - 01 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is a Kawasaki so the side stand switch will be short lived, so I would check there. The kill switch is possible, as is the ignition switch.

The fuel pump may well cut in and out. The one on the FZ only pumps when fuel is required.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1