Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just call me Chuck ;) - '98 R1 - trackdays and carbon page 9

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 27 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL i dont want to bin any bike, my KTM cost me a fair bit and would hate to see it in the gravel. There is a R1 fairly local to me, i live in the Highlands so picking up bikes down south can be costly.

One thing i noticed when i tested it was the rev counter jumped up on idle randomly, think its a fault code, there was a bulb out the bike which might have caused it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 27 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
What you think of it m8? I'm close to buying one for a track bike, done a wee bit more miles than yours but looks pretty clean.

Im not going to take track serious just want something a bit cheaper that i wont cry my eyes out if i bin it. The one i had a shot of was pretty smooth on power delivery, but compared to my KTM anything would feel smooth.

I wouldn't recommend one for track, it was way too twitchy and flighty - which really gave confidence a knock on a hard exit from a bend, as you were too concerned about losing it. I found it to be a great fun road bike, but a proper nervous twitch of a track bike - that seemed to want to throw you off every time you made a little mistake - not very forgiving.

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 29 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welshd1k wrote:

they do ? the TI arka system to me looks like a straight forward ti system no balance tubes..... unless that is justa picture... and the yoshi is TI also no ?

i mean the yoshi system is porbaly just as expensive if not more than a arka . and if you want to arka TI it you need the FULL system not just downpipes as teh ARKA are designed to be used full system not mix match

My bad, you are right, no balance tubes on the Akra, got a little confused there (no picture on my phone, so couldn't check) but the Yoshi is a stainless steel system, rather than titanium. Been speaking to someone that races bikes, and as long as the length of the can, and the interior diameter are the same, there shouldn't be an issue, as both would be straight through.

Stevie GooGs wrote:
What you think of it m8? I'm close to buying one for a track bike, done a wee bit more miles than yours but looks pretty clean.

Im not going to take track serious just want something a bit cheaper that i wont cry my eyes out if i bin it. The one i had a shot of was pretty smooth on power delivery, but compared to my KTM anything would feel smooth.

I love it, only had it on a short blast on a private road, but loved it, was so planted, and felt very willing to fire me towards the horizon, can't wait to actually properly use it!

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 29 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billing wrote:
My bad, you are right, no balance tubes on the Akra, got a little confused there (no picture on my phone, so couldn't check) but the Yoshi is a stainless steel system, rather than titanium. Been speaking to someone that races bikes, and as long as the length of the can, and the interior diameter are the same, there shouldn't be an issue, as both would be straight through.

Even more reason not to bother.

Without the balance tubes, you'll destroy you midrange.

Stainless/ti doesn't make any difference apart from ones lighter, which as I said you aren't going to notice on the road. The flat spot in the midrange rpm you will tough Thumbs Up

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:23 - 05 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will see how I feel, as I said, might just keep it hanging from the rafters and see if someone offers enough to make me want to get rid Thumbs Up Might whack it on, see what the power curve and numbers look like and go from there, might not, all I know is I'm a sucker for that rainbow metal Laughing

In other news, I fitted a set of Goodridge braided front lines yesterday, bled them through, left the lever pulled back slightly to aid any escaping air and re-bled tonight. While I had the brake system apart I decided to give the switch a blast of WD to keep it clean, and re-greased the lever pivot and bolt, the result? A lovely feeling set of front brakes with half the travel on the lever as when I bought it, job jobbed Thumbs Up

I've been looking around, as I want to make this bike like my NC30, mine, and looked at a set of ex-BSB Marchesini wheels, but don't have £650+ spare, so looked at other 5 spoke wheels instead, looks like a Ducati 998 front and Aprilia Falco rear are the same dimensions, it's just a case of whether I can have some spacers made and whether I can get the brakes and sprockets to line up properly. I won't be spending much at all, if I bother, but for now will be settling for stock wheels, powdercoated white Very Happy

Quikmac
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 05 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaane wrote:
I been riding since I was 16 and have now accumalated 4 years no claims. A 636 cost me £400 a year fully comp and when I looked at a ZX10 I was quoted around £500-700.
Exactly the same change, bike and ins, prices for a mate of mine except the change was ZX10 for a gixer 1000. Twisted Evil

Chuck Norris
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:33 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have not earned the right to be named after I.

Only those who ride the blue 98'R1 are granted that privilege.

Quikmac
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

By whom? Nurse Ratchet? Rolling Eyes 98 R1 might be my next bike. If not, a gixer 750 SRAD. which would give an R1 a good challenge with a good rider!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:26 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quikmac wrote:
By whom? Nurse Ratchet? Rolling Eyes 98 R1 might be my next bike. If not, a gixer 750 SRAD. which would give an R1 a good challenge with a good rider!

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bognorgaz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:43 - 08 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billing wrote:
Will see how I feel, as I said, might just keep it hanging from the rafters and see if someone offers enough to make me want to get rid Thumbs Up Might whack it on, see what the power curve and numbers look like and go from there, might not, all I know is I'm a sucker for that rainbow metal Laughing

In other news, I fitted a set of Goodridge braided front lines yesterday, bled them through, left the lever pulled back slightly to aid any escaping air and re-bled tonight. While I had the brake system apart I decided to give the switch a blast of WD to keep it clean, and re-greased the lever pivot and bolt, the result? A lovely feeling set of front brakes with half the travel on the lever as when I bought it, job jobbed Thumbs Up

I've been looking around, as I want to make this bike like my NC30, mine, and looked at a set of ex-BSB Marchesini wheels, but don't have £650+ spare, so looked at other 5 spoke wheels instead, looks like a Ducati 998 front and Aprilia Falco rear are the same dimensions, it's just a case of whether I can have some spacers made and whether I can get the brakes and sprockets to line up properly. I won't be spending much at all, if I bother, but for now will be settling for stock wheels, powdercoated white Very Happy

Go for paint instead of powdercoat Very Happy
https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/bognorgaz/200742_1971087518270_1275453928_32356472_7452455_n.jpg
https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/bognorgaz/photowheel.jpg
https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/bognorgaz/IMG_0033.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i ended up going for the R1.

Crappy camera phone pictures for now.

https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/420719_10150557905731710_618956709_9234282_443517742_n.jpg

One with the GOPRO - Looking down at Ullapool. Thumbs Up

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/1_103.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:52 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
Well i ended up going for the R1.

Nice one Thumbs Up

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks tidy mate, nice one Thumbs Up

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers its a heavy beast of a machine, it does make the KTM feel like a toy, will keep the KTM for a road bike as i dont think you can get a more fun road bike. Very strange trying to lean the R1 over compared to the KTM, will take some time to get into the swing of sportsbike riding again.

EXC-Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

im like ''well jell'' of both of you, one of my favorite bike of all time, even got a toy R1 same colour and model of Stevie GooGs had it since i was a kid

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7178/6821034106_6012458202_z.jpg

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz, I'll see how much powder coating will cost, if it's significantly cheaper to paint then I will, bearing in mind I'll be going single colour whatever choice I make Thumbs Up

CRF-Rider wrote:
im like ''well jell'' of both of you, one of my favorite bike of all time, even got a toy R1 same colour and model of Stevie GooGs had it since i was a kid

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7178/6821034106_6012458202_z.jpg

I have the red and white 4XV model, got it from a magazine collection I think, was with issue 1 Very Happy

EXC-Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billing wrote:

I have the red and white 4XV model, got it from a magazine collection I think, was with issue 1 Very Happy

I do too its at my dads house ill try get a piccy of it Wink

bognorgaz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:12 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billing wrote:
Gaz, I'll see how much powder coating will cost, if it's significantly cheaper to paint then I will, bearing in mind I'll be going single colour whatever choice I make Thumbs Up

Powdercoat will be cheaper, the job done on mine would have been in excess of £300, probably due to the amount of time a double pinstripe (done freehand) took. Luckily I have a friend who does this for a living Laughing

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have sorted the situation the slightly easier, if more expensive way, a set of wheels from France, already white (may have tyres on, but waiting on an answer)

After that I'll only be after the parts the revert the bike back to factory stock for if and when I sell it.

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was because it was such a revolution at the time, by today standards itsprobably starting to lack a little.

My titanium exhaust arrived today Very Happy so happy with it, its awesome Thumbs Up I've not heard back about my white wheels, but they'll go on when it comes to new tyres time Smile

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white wheels arrived yesterday at around 4pm Mr. Green The rear tyre is totally shagged, the front is passable if I was in a pickle, but both will be getting replaced before fitting, just need to figure out what to put on there!

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/sam_billing_91/1998%20Yamaha%20YZF-R1/DSCF0682.jpg

I ordered an A16 Moto GP carbon can for the Ti system, I decided to have the removable baffle included, but doubt I'll use it, I'm not fussed by how loud the can is Very Happy

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure what to put on mine either, got Dunlop Sportsmax Sportsmarts on the ktm which I like.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Qualifier 2 Dunlops, wearing well and not had any slips or slides with them.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:53 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
I like my Qualifier 2 Dunlops, wearing well and not had any slips or slides with them.

I wore my rear down to canvas in 1700.

Can't say I can fault BT016's or Pilot Road 2's or Power 2CTs

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:

I wore my rear down to canvas in 1700.

Can't say I can fault BT016's or Pilot Road 2's or Power 2CTs

You animal Laughing 1800 on mine and only the first inkling of squaring off, must try harder Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9