Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

George white stores in administration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:55 - 23 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

junglejim wrote:

That's a theory that has no basis in fact.
Please name some of the dealers that fell by the wayside in the 80's.
Just a few will do.
Personally, I think you got that info out of a comic book.

It has plenty of basis in fact. Loads went out. As I mentioned at least 2 on the road just round the corner from where I lived in Portsmouth (no idea of the names now). Bike Business went from being a large dealer to just being a one man band bike mechanic. The small bike shop one I bought my Honda MBX from in Winchester. The large Kawasaki dealer in Nottingham after I moved there. RAT motorcycles in London. Rapido in Dunstable. Noel Orrs in Newtownards in Northern Ireland. And those are just the obvious ones in a couple of areas I lived in.

junglejim wrote:
No, I'm using my actual experience in motorcycle retail.
You are simply an armchair expert, who puts all their faith in numbers and statistics.

Far from it, I have just dug out and produced the statistics that support what I already knew and which you disagreed with. Which is far more than you have managed to do.

Keith
junglejim This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Aperf
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:25 - 06 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart,

I have been a lurker on here for a few years but Junglejims posts have motivated me to register.

You have put forward an intelligent and well argued series of answers backed up the relevant figures. Im impressed by your calm replies in the face of such frustrating responses.

Why Junglejim cannot grasp your points is beyond me other than to conclude that he is a troll on a windup.

Give it up as a bad job, some arguments are too full of internets to waste your time on. The rest of us reading the thread can, and have, drawn our own conclusions. I.e. you are right Wink

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:41 - 07 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

junglejim wrote:

Really, try not to put all your faith in statistics.
They don't always tell the whole story.
You're what we used to refer as in the trade, as a bar stool roadtester.
These are people incapable of forming opions based on experience, and so default to what they read somewhere.
Rolling Eyes

Not all faith in statistics. As already said, I just used them to support what I already knew to be true.

Call me what you like, you have proven to be so incapable of coming up with anything to support your point that I really can't give a damn about what you say now.

Keith

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 25 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to one of White's ex-employees, he's got a job at the Suzuki dealers close to me, and it turns our White's main problem was margins.

Too small a margin on decreasing sales was eventually their downfall, though apparently the bank had been concerned for a year prior to their collapse.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:44 - 25 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, has he seen Suzuki's sales figures and margins (with their cashback offer) lately? I can't see them doing much better than Whites. Shocked

Aside, did "Mega Motorcycle Store" (White's as-was) ever manage to sell off all their bike stock after their disastrous auction?

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 28 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the offer was so good I bought a new bike off them Very Happy

Can't say about the "Mega Motorcycle Store" as I don't know, but I will ask next time I see him if he knows anything.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5