Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

brakes wont release (bandit) ?? please help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

gorgeous george
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:18 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: brakes wont release (bandit) ?? please help Reply with quote

hi this is my first post lads,,,, so hi everyone i have a 97 600 bandit ...

i took my front wheel off before Christmas to paint but have had to put it back on before ive finished because ive been kicked out of my dads house, so i have to move the bike so i was putting the brakes calipers back onto the discs after having them properly hung on bike with a bungee cord so the brakes didnt dangle down on there own brake lines.

but to get them on the discs i had to prize the pads apart another few mm to get them on the discs.... when they were fitted o pulled the brake lever in and it was as if there was no brake, so pumped it a bit and then i could start to feel like it was working but then i noticed the pads weren't releasing and now there locked on the discs ???

please help i havent a clue what todo

thank you

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:31 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The calipers are sticking. Either the pistons themselves or the pins they slide on. Given that you got the pistons to retract my first guess would be the sliding pins.

All the best

Keith

shugsterc
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:34 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

take calipers off unscrew fluid rezz take pads out use a g clamp or stilsons to push piston into caliper..use brake lever to push back out..wd40 clean the piston the grease it push in an out a few times till it feels freeer put back to gether and it be grand...just a bit sticky

gorgeous george
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:00 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

shugsterc wrote:
take calipers off unscrew fluid rezz take pads out use a g clamp or stilsons to push piston into caliper..use brake lever to push back out..wd40 clean the piston the grease it push in an out a few times till it feels freeer put back to gether and it be grand...just a bit sticky

thanks for quick replies people

sorry if my questions are naive but im a noob especially with brakes... what grease should i use and i know ive got some g clamps but am i going to need like a really small one ?

thanks again going to try this tomoz

gorgeous george
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:01 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

shugsterc wrote:

sorry if my questions are naive but im a noob especially with brakes... what grease should i use and i know ive got some g clamps but am i going to need like a really small one ?

gorgeous george
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:01 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

shugsterc wrote:

bridlad
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:16 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

when youve removed the pads and cleaned the sliding pin make sure you put a flat bar or piece of wood between the pistons when you use the lever to push them out ,you dont want any of the pistons popping out ,once youve got them so far out use clean brake fluid and a tooth brush to clean the pistons dont use wd40 ,dont be tempted to use anything abrasive on them otherwise you will scratch them then they will leak,when you are satisfied they are all moving freely push them right back into the caliper ,apply some copperslip grease to the sliding pin and the ends of the pads which slide in the caliper dont get any on the friction material of the pads for obvious reasons ,refit the calipers pump the lever a couple of times until it bites and job done ,hth Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:22 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If it is the pistons (personally, unlikely the main problem) then you use a rubber grease (normally red) on the sides of the pistons. Make sure you don't get any on the friction surfaces of the pads.

With sliding calipers like the 600 Bandit, you have plenty of room to push the pistons back with a G clamp. Also When pushing the pistons back on one caliper make sure the other has the pistons secured to stop them popping out (generally it is easier to push the other pistons out than it is to push the fluid back into the reservoir).

For the pins, take a caliper off, remove the pads and then slide the caliper off its carrier. Clean up the pins and reassemble with a suitable lube

All the best

Keith

bagger
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:25 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt bother with wd40 on the pistons just use clean brake fluid and a toothbrush Thumbs Up

jj49
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:29 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: break issues Reply with quote

hi there, i had the same problem as you and have suffered with dragging brakes and a wooden feel for months, so i purchased another set from a breakers to refurbish and swop over on the bike, a 98 bandit 600sw.
you can spray the pistons (once pads removed) with silicone spray this wont damage the seals and could help in unsticking them . If you need to clean any corrosion off use a green pan scrubber this wont cause any scratches etc. Then with a small g clamp gently screw them back , make sue you use a cloth over the piston ends and caliper to stop any damage and unscrew resevior top, as in your case they are still fitted ( hydraulic pressure).
you will find as i did and others often complain about is the caliper slide pins stick and wont budge if corroded. heat has to be applied and a leather/rubber mallet used to pursuade the caliper bracket to slide off . I entrusted this job to my local bike shop in the end, who blew the pistons out, fitted new seals and rubber red greased the sliding pins and piston ends.
try and pull the bracket /slider pins away from the caliper, becareful not to damage the rubber boots, the bracket is suppose to slide off. if they are jammed solid then it will be a garage job or vice and heat/mallet and a good squirt of silicone spray.
if you are succesful your local bike shop should have satchets of red rubber grease which is silicone based to be applied to the slider pins once cleaned up. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gorgeous george
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:41 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna give this ago with my haynes manual welded to my hand because im feeling pretty baffled with what todo

bridlad
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:46 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red rubber grease is great when reassembling calipers after fitting new seals etc but isnt that good on the sliding pins they really need to be coated in a high temp anti seizure grease (as should all steel bolts into alloy )i.e copperslip it stops the chemical reaction between the steel threads on the pin and the alloy caliper which causes them to seize also wont melt and find its way onto your pads if you really are bothered about doing it watch some vids on youtube Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:00 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridlad wrote:
Red rubber grease is great when reassembling calipers after fitting new seals etc but isnt that good on the sliding pins they really need to be coated in a high temp anti seizure grease (as should all steel bolts into alloy )i.e copperslip it stops the chemical reaction between the steel threads on the pin and the alloy caliper

If is a difficult one as copperslip is not meant as a lubricant, rather it is to stop things seizing (if is mildly abbrasive, not an issue on anything that is only moved occasionally, nor between 2 hard surfaces but the caliper body is alloy), nor is it meant to really be rubber friendly. The caliper needs to slide on those pins constantly.

All the best

Keith
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bridlad
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:31 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
bridlad wrote:
Red rubber grease is great when reassembling calipers after fitting new seals etc but isnt that good on the sliding pins they really need to be coated in a high temp anti seizure grease (as should all steel bolts into alloy )i.e copperslip it stops the chemical reaction between the steel threads on the pin and the alloy caliper

If is a difficult one as copperslip is not meant as a lubricant, rather it is to stop things seizing (if is mildly abbrasive, not an issue on anything that is only moved occasionally, nor between 2 hard surfaces but the caliper body is alloy), nor is it meant to really be rubber friendly. The caliper needs to slide on those pins constantly.

All the best

Keith

Yeh I understand it is mildly abrasive and that its not rubber freindly I werent suggesting he coat his pistons in it so it comes into contact with his seals ,the caliper doesnt slide on the pins the pads do and as the pads are friction material bonded to steel and the steel pins go through the the steel part of the pad there is no concern whatsoever with it wearing anything away,Ive been using it for as long as I can remember and have never had problem with seized pins or stuff wearing away.Im not trying to start an argument by the way just trying to be helpful Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:42 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridlad wrote:
the caliper doesnt slide on the pins the pads do and as the pads are friction material bonded to steel and the steel pins go through the the steel part of the pad there is no concern whatsoever with it wearing anything away

600 Bandit which the OP has uses sliding calipers. On these the caliper does slide on the pins, and it is these pins that I suspect have seized, stopping the caliper sliding and holding the pads on the non piston side against the disk whatever the pistons are doing.

All the best

Keith

bridlad
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:27 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAh I see now we are talking mounting pins,I stand corrected Embarassed Smile This might help the op if he can see how its made up

gorgeous george
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:42 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i follow this guide will i un-stick me brakes ??

i also asked a bike mechanics how much for them to change the piston seals and fix the brake he said 45 each caliper ?? is this reasonable or not ?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:58 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

£45 a caliper isn't bad (although adds up). Looking at Wemot the seals are £5 per piston (for pattern ones), so £20 of seals and say £10 for brake fluid. He is charging you £60 for labour which is well within reason for what can easily be a couple of hours work.

That said, being twin piston sliding calipers they are quite easy to strip and clean yourself:-

Remove a caliper.
Remove the pads from the caliper.
Pump out the pistons. Make sure they both come out at the same time (if necessary use and old brake pad and a G clamp to stop one piston coming out while the other catches up). If you are careful one will pop out and the other will be almost out and easily removed with your fingers. Fluid will go everywhere (one trick is to put the caliper in a plastic bag to catch the fluid as the pistons come out).
Hoik the seals out.
Clean up in the grooves the seals live in (there will be a load of white alloy oxide in there) but be careful not to scratch the actual alloy.
Soak the new seals in fresh brake fluid.
Clean up the pistons carefully.
Put the new seals in place. Make sure they are not twisted and are seated correctly.
Put some fresh brake fluid on the pistons and push them into place, making sure you push them in straight. They should go in reasonably easily.
Put the pads in and put the caliper back on the bike.
Bleed the brakes quickly (don't need to be perfect at this stage, just enough to pump the other pistons out) and repeat the above for the other caliper.
Then bleed the brakes properly.

This is easy on these sliding calipers.

The difficult bit is that the caliper slide on a pair of pins (there is a carrier that bolts to the fork, and the pins are part of that). If they are not sticking then they are easy, but if sticking they can be a pain to remove (plenty of bodgit ways such as levering against the disk or fork leg, but then you stand a good chance of damaging whatever you are levering against).

All the best

Keith

gorgeous george
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:23 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i think im going to it a go Thumbs Up cheers for the help boys

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakes that started out this rotten

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/Picture383.jpg

Soon polished up and cleaned up like this

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/Picture384.jpg

The main area to clean is where the piston seals seat.Crud builds up in these ring lands and with careful cleaning will allow the seals to no longer push against the pistons when they should be allowing them to pull away from the brake pads.

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1