Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hein Gericke - going bust?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Manuel
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:58 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking whether anything is up for HG. For the past month or so they have been offering 30% off in various forms.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look a bit ominous really...

I wouldn't be surprised if they went belly up. Tbh i've always thought them to be over priced, and even when they have a sale on its still too expensive.

Maybe i'm just tight..?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been having real trouble getting certain stock in, word is that the distributers want cash up front for goods now rather than doing the payment at time of sale deal that used to be the de rigour.

It's a shame as it's certainly left my local HG in between a rock and a hard place, the location is so so, it's deathly quiet half of the time and they don't have any exciting stock to get people in and nosing around anymore either.

A shame because personally, no I don't think they are overpriced for the most part, whilst the range topping suits are obnoxiously expensive, the mid range goretex stuff is very very good and has certainly never let me down.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:39 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: Hein Gericke - going bust? Reply with quote

Quote:

Stopped reading here. Unless it was listed as a special order, and it's something that you absolutely can't find anywhere else, then just do a chargeback now.

"Chargeback" is a new one to me. I ordered a bike stand from them last week and fully expect it to arrive (used paypal) but can I use chargeback if it doesn't arrive? Is this a Paypal term, or ebay or something to do with credit cards??? What an innocent I am Sad

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: Hein Gericke - going bust? Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

"Chargeback" is a new one to me. I ordered a bike stand from them last week and fully expect it to arrive (used paypal) but can I use chargeback if it doesn't arrive? Is this a Paypal term, or ebay or something to do with credit cards??? What an innocent I am Sad

I think its a debit card get-out clause whereby the transaction can be 'halted' due to non-provision of services, i.e. bank cancels it before the money ends up in other bank account.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: Hein Gericke - going bust? Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

I THINK it's a debit card thing which you can claim your money back if the goods you bought or the service you paid for are not delivered to a certain standard.

I KNOW however that you have much more protection when paying with a credit card such as MasterCard, so I nearly always use that for online/distance selling purchases and expensive things which would cost me a lot if they went wrong. Using it sensibly it boosts a credit rating whilst offering you the additional purchases protection

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal with chargeback stuff at work (in the sense that I see it and pass it along).

Basically, your card provider is held partly responsible if something like this happens, so if the service provider fails to rectify the problem satisfactorily, you can tell your card provider to do a "chargeback". This isn't to stop a payment going out, they actively reclaim the funds from the other parties bank. They do expect you to try and recover it from the service provider yourself first though. (A bit like a paypal claim really).

I think it used to be only on certain credit cards, but alot of debit cards have it now too.

If your card says Visa on it, you can do a chargeback.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:
I deal with chargeback stuff at work (in the sense that I see it and pass it along).

Basically, your card provider is held partly responsible if something like this happens, so if the service provider fails to rectify the problem satisfactorily, you can tell your card provider to do a "chargeback". This isn't to stop a payment going out, they actively reclaim the funds from the other parties bank. They do expect you to try and recover it from the service provider yourself first though. (A bit like a paypal claim really).

I think it used to be only on certain credit cards, but alot of debit cards have it now too.

If your card says Visa on it, you can do a chargeback.

Is that all forms of Visa, as in Delta, Debit, Electron etc?

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you bought items on a credit card are they jointly liable.

If you used a debit card the issuing bank, doesn't have to do shit, but most of the time if you contact visa/mastercard, they will do a chargeback for you despite not being liable.

If you paid via paypal, then you would have to raise the issue with paypal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused kids Confused

A member who has only posted 3 times in the 3 1/3 years they have been registered post that a company may be going bankrupt and no one really questions it?
Interestingly OP lives within easy distance of 4 HG's so no need to mail order stuff.

Do we have an agent provocateur in our midst? (and I don't mean a bra)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:34 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Do we have an agent provocateur in our midst? (and I don't mean a bra)

I hear they J&S gangsta be rolling deep.

https://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/screenshots/129694d1263138117-animated-gif-thread-gangsta.gif

Well, anything's possible, but it's a pretty lukewarm piece of stirring, if so. If I was going to try to start a whispering campaign, I'd throw in something about being hog tied in the basement wearing just my socks and a Box.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder as someone on Pistonheads claims they went into Administration iirc in December yet no Administrator has been appointed (that I can find) so there possibly is a whispering campaign starting. That and the OP doesn't appear to have been back.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying, but if there's even a grain of truth in this.......

Seb wrote:
They've been having real trouble getting certain stock in, word is that the distributers want cash up front for goods now rather than doing the payment at time of sale deal that used to be the de rigour.

........that's a classic sign of a company on the verge of going the way of the pear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bunglebubs
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:04 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:

Unfortunately I've experienced several occasions when ordering online, where it says in stock and it isn't. I've even had someone on the end of the phone say they have it in stock and will dispatch it the same day, only to contact me a few days later to tell me they are going to have to order it from their supplier. THAT is not on, so I cancelled the order and went with someone else who were just as cheap.

^^ This

Ive had this happen to me, start of this year 3/4th Jan I ordered a helmet from a well known online helmet retailer, was told over the phone helmet was in stock, should arrive 2/3 days. 5 days later still no helmet and no explanation, I had to phone them to find out what was going on only for them to tell me they tried to contact me??? even though they have all my details and emailed me at time of placing order with confirmation of order and my phone number etc, only for them to tell me that helmet was no longer in stock!!! WTF? and yet to this day the same helmet in my size is still showing on their website!!!

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:42 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunglebubs wrote:
Ben-B wrote:

Unfortunately I've experienced several occasions when ordering online, where it says in stock and it isn't. I've even had someone on the end of the phone say they have it in stock and will dispatch it the same day, only to contact me a few days later to tell me they are going to have to order it from their supplier. THAT is not on, so I cancelled the order and went with someone else who were just as cheap.

^^ This

Ive had this happen to me, start of this year 3/4th Jan I ordered a helmet from a well known online helmet retailer, was told over the phone helmet was in stock, should arrive 2/3 days. 5 days later still no helmet and no explanation, I had to phone them to find out what was going on only for them to tell me they tried to contact me??? even though they have all my details and emailed me at time of placing order with confirmation of order and my phone number etc, only for them to tell me that helmet was no longer in stock!!! WTF? and yet to this day the same helmet in my size is still showing on their website!!!

It really isn't hard to link the product page on their website to the stock database so it knows when its in stock and when it isn't.

Hell for only 2 more IQ points they could even tell you how many are in stock, and when they're going to be ordering more, so you can get an idea of how quick you need to do your shopping around and deciding before they might run out

bunglebubs
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:48 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The girl on the phone said that I was buying the last one at that size when I was placing the order! Yet they couldn't be bothered to phone me a few days later when they must have known there was none left and let me know it wasn't coming! Won't be using them ever again.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:29 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Hein Gericke - going bust? Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

If you used Paypal then you have 40 days to do something.... So contact them straight away and start a dispute... Can be done via your paypal user area.

c m wrote:
Only if you bought items on a credit card are they jointly liable.

If you used a debit card the issuing bank, doesn't have to do shit, but most of the time if you contact visa/mastercard, they will do a chargeback for you despite not being liable.

Rolling Eyes

Oh boy.....

If you card has a visa logo on it then the "CARD PROVIDER/BANK" actions a chargeback on your behalf. That is for DEBIT OR CREDIT. If you get fobbed off, by front line, mention FOS and that should grab someone's attention.

Contacting Visa will not get anything done.

The credit card is excatly the same. The consumer credit act is very rarely used to reclaim funds on your behalf as it is a lot longer process, requires you to do a lot of work.

If you ever have issues, with a purchase and pay via card. Talk to the card provider (Ask for disputes department, not the front line guys) and get the proper advise.....

How do I know this.... Well I do it every day... Its my job.... Not just info gleaned of the internet.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunglebubs wrote:

^^ This

M&P/Busters accessories do this sort of thing a lot, they do have a disclaimer on their website though suggesting that a quick delivery isn't part of the deal! Have had to wait up to two weeks for bits from them before, even sundries like brake pads.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
........that's a classic sign of a company on the verge of going the way of the pear.

It's also a sign of a supplier going to the wall as well as a sign that large amounts of credit is hard to get at the moment so making assumptions is probably a bad thing to do.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:59 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: I have to wonder does anyone notice when a chap writes h Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
This post is a month late and you forgot to post in Dec 2010.

HTH Thumbs Up

Yes some people do notice. Wink

HG do to very good kit don't say 'own brand' as if it is a dirty word, the HG kit is equaly too or superceeds most named brands. HG is on a par with the Triumph branded Kit(just more expensive), which from my experience is the best. I have a jacket I have had 4-5 years now RRP£350, I paid £55 it has been in several crashes and worn solidly for 6 months of the year and it is still 100% water proof and warm as a warm thing. Even though most of the time I spend riding my TDM I am usually always all in Triumph Kit (Barring boots)

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Shaft wrote:

It's also a sign of a supplier going to the wall as well as a sign that large amounts of credit is hard to get at the moment so making assumptions is probably a bad thing to do.

Also very plausible, I heard that this whole issue was kicked off with one of the big German chains going down the pan taking a fair chunk of unpaid for stock with them. Again, chinese whispers between retail guys mind.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
Also very plausible, I heard that this whole issue was kicked off with one of the big German chains going down the pan taking a fair chunk of unpaid for stock with them. Again, chinese whispers between retail guys mind.

How strange. I heard it was caused by the sub-prime mortgage collapse and the subsequent bank collapses causing a squeeze on lending and credit within the world markets.

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:30 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Hein Gericke - going bust? Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

It's called a section 75, This all comes from Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, hence why this is sexily named Section 75. It rather impenetrably says…

75. — (1) If the debtor under a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within section 12(b) or (c) has, in relation to a transaction financed by the agreement, any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or breach of contract, he shall have a like claim against the creditor, who, with the supplier, shall accordingly be jointly and severally liable to the debtor. Read it in full

see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Denali
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:02 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... Rumbled.

Yes I registered 3 & 1/3 years ago, went dark, to then resurface and post a mild query about a retailer. It's a huge complex conspiracy up there with the moon landings, Diana and 9/11 Wink

Reason I ordered online is that it's actually multiple items (so very unlikely in stock at any one store locally) and hey it's 2012, online shopping is quite popular apparently! And usually convenient when they are in stock as a retailer claims and delivered in a timely manner. Also when I became aware of the offer I didn’t have time to get to a shop as I wasn’t even in London at this point!

The reason not cancelled is – and as people have said normally HG a bit pricey but this was very good offer – I was getting over 50% off the RRP of the order.

So yes there was a need to order online! If that’s ok Smile Never assume with only limited knowledge of the facts!

So my query was just given the number of retailers / suppliers going to the wall generally I was interested to know if any one else was experiencing issues with HG. And note I do actually like HG!

Or am I secretly trying to bring retailers down… after HG, next I’m off to register on a supermarket forum, I’ll then give it 3 years and comment that Tesco doesn’t have my favourite marmalade in stock, and surely must be a sign that they are in trouble. MWAHHHH
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8