Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hein Gericke - going bust?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:47 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received call back from them. Items have been dispatched. They do have a problem with the enquiry line due to level of demand since the sale started

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 02 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
They do have a problem with the enquiry line due to level of calls from worried customers since this thread started

EFA Wink

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gloves I originally bought and paid for are on their way I believe and will be redirected to my address rather than my nearest store.

Also went back today to get some winter gloves to use on the bikes at work (and bloody glad I did after the ice-cold conditions today) and didn't seem to be any suggestions of problems. They had the gloves in the size I needed in stock so paid and left with them.

At least I wouldn't be using the other ones yet even if they had arrived, far too cold for summer gloves just yet.

kelvyn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:36 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just heard that another titan of the British motorcycle industry has gone bust.
Hein Gericke (UK), whose head office is in Harrogate, saw Moorfields Corporate Recovery move in as administrators yesterday.
Moorfields are hoping to sell the company, which is separate from the German parent, but which last year lost £1.3 million.
At this stage it's not certain what will happen to the 49 stores that exist in the UK and of course the staff employed who make their living from motorcycling.
The wider economic conditions aside, one must ask how the fall in those accessing motorcycling through our new convoluted testing and training regime may have contributed to this.
It was at the start of the summer that the George White chain of shops closed and the end of last year when that other famous brand, Frank Thomas, folded.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 09:46 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I have to wonder does anyone notice when a chap writes here?

I'm sure that some of the more observant members do.

sickpup wrote:
She grew up with the children of the stars, in the hollywood

Who did?

oldenuff
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:55 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Is this the tipping point Reply with quote

We have a number of high profile retailers going to the wall and the imminent arrival of a Chinese 650 at around $4K so is this the point at which the number of people who can, or will, pay £10-14K for a bike and then £2-3K for riding kit becomes too small to sustain the current model.
Bikes have traditionally been low-cost transport but they now cost as much, if not more, than a car, consume just as much fuel and offer less comfort. Are we going back to the days when the price of a bike is much less than the equivalent car, the fuel consumption much better instead of chasing the 150mph only used on dry days road rocket?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:20 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelvyn wrote:
[Direct unattributed copy-n-pasta from MAG]

Tut Tut

oldenuff wrote:
Are we going back to the days when the price of a bike is much less than the equivalent car, the fuel consumption much better instead of chasing the 150mph only used on dry days road rocket?

No. No, we're not. For real world utility, that'd be the 250 class, which is essentially dead. Let's see if Suzuki's Inazuma can do anything about it - I'm betting not.

By the way, anyone who pays £4200 for that CFMOTO/WK 650i needs their head examined.

oldenuff
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:28 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Buying the Chinese 650 Reply with quote

Or they do the arithmetic that the purchase cost is about the same as two year depreciation on the competitors machines. The MSL review was very positive and I guess that, whatever the purists say, it will take sales from the Japanese and European bike dealers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kelvyn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:41 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"]
kelvyn wrote:
[Direct unattributed copy-n-pasta from MAG]

Tut Tut
Didn't realise that was the source, sent to me by a colleague at work.

Ignorance is a weak excuse. I accept the punishment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:29 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: Buying the Chinese 650 Reply with quote

oldenuff wrote:
Or they do the arithmetic that the purchase cost is about the same as two year depreciation on the competitors machines.

Oh, please.

Compare it to an ER-6n, since it is one. If you're cheaping out, you're looking at an unregistered 2011 model with a £5500 ticket price before haggling. Explain to me how that will depreciate by £4200 in 2 years. Do you see a lot of 2 year old ER-6n's for sale for £1300?

You're paying £1300 more up front. For that, you get a bike that's had its teething trouble sorted, affordable finance, a warranty that might actually deliver, actual parts availability, insurance availability, and a fighting chance that you'll still have a working bike with some residual value after 2 years.

oldenuff wrote:
The MSL review was very positive

They couldn't even get the price right. Where can you get one for £3700?

oldenuff wrote:
and I guess that, whatever the purists say, it will take sales from the Japanese and European bike dealers.

It might take a sale, singular, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Look at my bike ownership history. It's deliberately Quixotic up to the 500. But even I wouldn't gamble £4200 on a no-name, no (real) warranty, no parts, no track record bike when I could get a barely run in ER-6n for the same money.

Or if I had £4200 to spend and absolutely had to have a new bike, I'd get a Hyosung GT650 which can be had for that money from my local backstreet dealer. It has many of the same problems as the CFMOTO/WK but at least people have heard of it, so I might be able to sell it on.

oldenuff
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:19 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Market change Reply with quote

Being quite antique I seem to remember exactly the same sort of response to the early Japanese bikes. They won't work/last/support the warranty etc. Within a very short space of time they were the market.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:40 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: Market change Reply with quote

oldenuff wrote:
Being quite antique I seem to remember exactly the same sort of response to the early Japanese bikes. They won't work/last/support the warranty etc. Within a very short space of time they were the market.

Were Japanese made bikes sold in the UK under British brand names?

No, you say? Then it's not "exactly" the same, is it?

This is a copybike made to a strict budget by a manufacturer (CF Moto) in a country where everyone - including their suppliers - is chasing the bottom line, and who doesn't really give a damn about anything except hitting sales targets this quarter. They aren't marketing it here or supporting it, don't have a UK presence, and won't give a damn about building a reputation, because it's not sold as their brand.

If we're talking "exactly" the same, how long have Hyosungs been available here, for the same price as this CF Moto and with most of the same issues?

They're still an "also available" marque sold by small back street dealers, parts supply remains dire, and the best that you can say about them is that they've made a bit of effort to sort out some of the more egregious failures (rotting swing arms, cam chain tensioners that don't).

After saying all this, I want to be wrong. I'll be delighted if this new 650 is an excellent machine that lasts, is well supported and sells faster than they can ship it in. It won't though.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 20:45 - 01 Aug 2012; edited 1 time in total

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Re: Is this the tipping point Reply with quote

oldenuff wrote:

Bikes have traditionally been low-cost transport but they now cost as much, if not more, than a car, consume just as much fuel and offer less comfort. Are we going back to the days when the price of a bike is much less than the equivalent car, the fuel consumption much better instead of chasing the 150mph only used on dry days road rocket?
Since when?

Low cost?

I've never spent more than 300 on a car in 6 years of motoring (and I've had a couple) but my first bike cost 550.

Bikes aren't bought for economical investment, they're bought as personal toys/tools.

I've never viewed a bike and considered it's resale condition; I buy them based on what I want. When I buy a car, 1/3rd of the factors involved is how well i can resell it for.

As for comfort, I'm far more comfortable on a bike than in a car purely because my riding style gives me pleasure, I'm happy doing it. Driving (get stuck in traffic?) not so much. Wink Laughing

Last edited by st3v3 on 20:45 - 01 Aug 2012; edited 1 time in total

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You buy cage dogs that fall apart, and are uninsured to boot. Rolling Eyes

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a cage dog?

And I was insured, ignorant tosspot. Laughing

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer this - did you get done for no insurance. ?

Cage dog was so you did not think i was talking about bikes, bike dogs are ok Smile

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make no sense.

Did I get done for no insurance while insured? I did.

Hardly open and shut. Wink

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
You make no sense.

Did I get done for no insurance while insured? I did.

Hardly open and shut. Wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

NOB

Kierran
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:37 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a phone call today regarding a qwest id ordered to say it wouldnt be feasible to supply it. Had a knot of dread in my stomach thinking the next comment would be to say my money was gone. Next thing they did was ask what other helmets they had in stck so popped in and got an xr1100 for slightly more than i was paying for the qwest as well as a waterproof tank bag, ruck sack n snood for 55 quid. Couldnt complain too much.

Also HG Germany have allegedly already put in a bid for the UK chains . . .

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://mail.hg-newsletter.com/res/3630/12_cw31/Edm_wk1.jpg

yaigi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 07 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw that Hein Gericke are having a massive closing down sale, it's finally happened then hey?

It makes me really sad cos I REALLY like the guys that work in there, they're always really friendly (in the Liverpool store where I've gone anyway) and they feed me tea and little tiny muffins Crying or Very sad

I got most of my gear from there cos even though it was super expensive they had the best stuff to suit my needs and I didn't feel like I was "making do" with fit and stuff. Can't someone save them?! Pretty please?!

On the upside, maybe if i take a trip over there this Saturday I'll be able to get some bargains, now, what do I need? ...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:12 - 07 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fret yet, at the moment it's just their usual "sale" with better advertising. They've still got 7 weeks or so to find a buyer and they're apparently shifting more stock (at their normal prices) than they have for a while thank to all the curious punters.

If we want a real bargain, we might have to wait until closer to the liquidation date.
Barnaby This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Spangle2k4
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:11 - 09 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: just received an e-mail saying everything is "up to" 40% and nothing is less than 20% off.

So now some things might actually be cheaper than you could get them for before they went into administration.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:34 - 09 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.museumofconceptualart.com/Jesusisms_vs_Bushisms/images/Fool%20Me.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8