Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is it safe to jump start a motorbike from a car ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

marco 125
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:32 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Is it safe to jump start a motorbike from a car ? Reply with quote

how would you go about doing this ? the battery on my bike is dead , but iv heard this is a good way to charge the battery??

Last edited by marco 125 on 11:45 - 09 Feb 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to bump start a motorbike from a car ? Reply with quote

Bump starting a bike is where you push it along and release the clutch to force the engine to turn over from you pushing it.
Unless you're a reasonably skilled stuntman, I expect this is quite a dangerous method! Smile

It should be fine to jump start a bike from a car battery without the car running. This is where you connect electric cables between the too.
It's possible it could cause damage if the car is running. However, as bike's need a good chunk less starting current, you shouldn't need the car running to keep the battery topped up/give it a bit of extra kick as you might for a car.

marco 125
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:42 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to bump start a motorbike from a car ? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Bump starting a bike is where you push it along and release the clutch to force the engine to turn over from you pushing it.
Unless you're a reasonably skilled stuntman, I expect this is quite a dangerous method! Smile

It should be fine to jump start a bike from a car battery without the car running. This is where you connect electric cables between the too.
It's possible it could cause damage if the car is running. However, as bike's need a good chunk less starting current, you shouldn't need the car running to keep the battery topped up/give it a bit of extra kick as you might for a car.

jump start thats what i ment ahah
how would i do this ?
would my bike have to be in gear or so on ..............
im not sure how to go about doing this as i havnt done this before
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:49 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need a set of jump leads.

Attach leads to the car battery and to your bike battery.

Then start the bike as normal (not in gear), bike will use
power from car battery to turn bike over.
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

connect car battery +ve to bike battery +ve with the red lead (don't let it touch the frame anywhere)

connect car battery -ve to bike battery -ve with the black lead.

Press starter button.

When running, take off the leads (do NOT let them touch the vehicle wile dissconnecting)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:52 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to bump start a motorbike from a car ? Reply with quote

Get some jump leads.

Make sure the ignition is off.
Attach the positive lead to both batteries. Then the negative. (Doing it this way around means less sparks etc.)

Start the bike as normal (so, in neutral etc).

Remove the negative lead, then the positive.

marco 125
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:56 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help , much appreciated Smile
thanks

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a million videos out there, google it. The principles the same for any vehicle.

marco 125
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:11 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
theres a million videos out there, google it. The principles the same for any vehicle.

would you turn the car on then connect the wires from the car to the bike ??

or would you connect the wires ( positive to positive - negative to negative)

then start the car ? (also heard that you should not rev the car) ?

just as i was looking on youtube there was a discusion about wether or not to have the car battery on?

i would think so Confused

correct me if im wrong

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just go to aldi or lidl and buy their £14 battery charger.
Good bit of kit for the price.

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont need to start the car, the battery will have power in it regardless.

Dilyan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help after:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=238197

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:33 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't start the car - you shouldn't need to and it's possible it will damage the bike, though I've never seen it happen myself.

wilz1234
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:44 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try starting it with the car running, you run the risk of burning out the alternator of the car.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to bump start a motorbike from a car ? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Huzzah, G thinks I'm a reasonably skilled stuntman Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:58 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to bump start a motorbike from a car ? Reply with quote

I should add that doing it with a tow rope is cheating Wink - done that enough times myself (and with other bikes etc).

I was thinking standing in the door/window/rear/bonnet of a car while holding the bike, getting a good lick up, then jumping from the 4 wheeler to the 2, landing on it and kicking it in to gear Smile.
To be fair, there is, on consideration, a lot of easier and less dangerous ways for the same situation - however less spectacular too Smile.

Have attempted it holding on by hand to another bike/rider, but not a car. However all have been from an already seated position.

Marcbrown46
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:05 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to bump start a motorbike from a car ? Reply with quote

G wrote:

?????????????????????

Done this about 50 times at least, piece of cake to be honest unless were talking a busa or something !!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:11 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to bump start a motorbike from a car ? Reply with quote

Marcbrown46 wrote:

Done this about 50 times at least, piece of cake to be honest unless were talking a busa or something !!

Quote:
Is it safe to bump start a motorbike from a car ?

Have you done it 'from a car', however?

Smile

Busa's not a problem to bump start in my experience. Firestorm with a dead battery was a total nightmare. My tuned zx9r in a similar situation the same - but easier to get it turn over, still.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

marco 125 wrote:
then start the car ? (also heard that you should not rev the car) ?

Just to clarify, when you're starting a car from a car, then you generally want the engine running.

However, when starting a bike from a car, don't run the car engine. There's a small (but why risk it?) chance of shagging the bike reg/rec.

If you have to buy jump leads anyway, then why not buy a basic charger instead? You'll want to get your battery fully charged, and taking it for a ride might not do that.

Also, if you're in any doubt about why your battery is discharged, spend £5 or so on a cheap multimeter and learn how to use it, you'll save yourself a load of time and money in guessing where the problem(s) are.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I erm. Um. Started my bike from one of these once.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3543/3781112389_1387f6868d.jpg

Bike fired up instantly. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Just to clarify, when you're starting a car from a car, then you generally want the engine running.

Still not convinced on this one. If the donor car's battery is healthy enough to start its own engine, then it ought to be able to start the victim car's engine too, without having its own alternator running (assuming it is a similar type of engine, ie not jumping a Land Rover diesel from a Fiat 500).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

That was probably because of the fumes Sick

Edgar Jessop
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:18 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've jump started quite a few cars and vans over the years. The hardest are diesels, because it requires a good few amps going through the starter motor to turn them over. If you try and do that from a stationary car you probably won't get enough current to turn it over. With the engine at idle it may just stall as the load comes on. That's why they say rev the engine up to a fast idle.

To start a little engine like a bike from a big battery like you'd find on a car or van I'm sure you could just do it on static battery, ie no need to run the other engine.

Like the man says the most important thing is to connect +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve NOT the other way round, unless you like trying to pull red-hot copper wires off the terminals before the battery catches fire Shocked

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:22 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

Still not convinced on this one. If the donor car's battery is healthy enough to start its own engine, then it ought to be able to start the victim car's engine too, without having its own alternator running (assuming it is a similar type of engine, ie not jumping a Land Rover diesel from a Fiat 500).

It does seem to help - maybe because the original battery is sucking some of the power out, if that can happen?

Oh and pound stretcher or something has thin - but should be ok for bike - jump leads for £3.

Capt Castle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:08 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

I have been to that very kebab van after a night in the Gloc in Oxford. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2