Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What 22,000,000 HP looks like

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: What 22,000,000 HP looks like Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3cPKgFKe0Y#t=70

EFA

Last edited by The Artist on 18:08 - 05 Feb 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 17:55 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said 22 million HP in the vid..

so 22 000 000
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris when are you going to strap one of those beasties to your Bandit? Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pic with scale.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d5/Saturn-V_Shuttle_Ares-I_Ares-V_comparison_(06-2006).jpg/800px-Saturn-V_Shuttle_Ares-I_Ares-V_comparison_(06-2006).jpg

Order for non space people, Saturn V, Shuttle, Ares I, Ares V
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondered why NASA wanted to borrow my old Honda SS50... never did get it back Thinking

That thing was a real head turner... did have a small backfire issue though. But had no mirrors so i couldn't see what was going on Shifty

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

why was no one roasting mallows in the flame's
I wonder what the ground temps got up to where the flame was hitting
must have been melting the rocks

for me the Saturn liftoff is the most impressive, the ultimate thrill ride

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
why was no one roasting mallows in the flame's
I wonder what the ground temps got up to where the flame was hitting
must have been melting the rocks

for me the Saturn liftoff is the most impressive, the ultimate thrill ride

Says 5600 degrees c somewhere.

Dilyan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Norris left his lighter somewhere ...

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:38 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny, since thrust can't be converted into hp
and since that solid rocket wsn't moving it did no work,
no work= no hp

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
no work= no hp

Am I going to have to change the title again, to the equivalent of 22,000,000 HP?

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:59 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
no work= no hp

How do you know it wasn't moving ? Maybe it rotated the earth a tiny amount like a massive catherine wheel!

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codemonkey wrote:

How do you know it wasn't moving ? Maybe it rotated the earth a tiny amount like a massive catherine wheel!

https://www.thecitrusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/carl-sagan-smoke-weed-everyday.jpg

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:21 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
https://www.thecitrusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/carl-sagan-smoke-weed-everyday.jpg

Laughing

Not to mention the fact it heated up a large area of soil and volume of air to a few 1000 deg C, I'd say the no movement = no work = no hp statement is just a bit flawed!

skyline
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:29 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't every action have and opposite and equal reaction or whatever? Therefore if the rocket is producing 22000000hp against the earth the earth must be pushing back? In the same way when your bikes on a dyno it doesn't move anywhere does it just the dyno pushes back against the wheel...

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyline wrote:
Doesn't every action have and opposite and equal reaction or whatever? Therefore if the rocket is producing 22000000hp against the earth the earth must be pushing back? In the same way when your bikes on a dyno it doesn't move anywhere does it just the dyno pushes back against the wheel...

The dyno analogy is so bad I don't know where to begin.

The first part is right, kind of. It may have affected the earths orbit but 0.0000000000000000000000000000001% or something but it is negligible. If you think about it, that rocket is designed to lift a few hundred(?) tons off the earth. The earth is what causes billions of tons to stay put.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:42 - 11 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

google thrust in to hp,
regardless of a moving rocket, which you can get a hp measurement from (weight speed etc) if something doesn't move, its not doing any work (from a physics point of view)
if its not doing any work, then there is no hp/kw value
it does how ever have a inertia value, much like a rock sitting on the ground does

i didnt make up the laws of physics Very Happy

you could say "what a potential 22 million hp looks like"

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:18 - 11 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty impressive.

I saw the space shuttle Endeavour launch back in May 2011, penultimate STS mission, and man was that something... sooooooooo loud and impressive.

And they're nothing compared to that one.

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 16 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:

I wonder what the ground temps got up to where the flame was hitting... must have been melting the rocks

If you listen to the voiceover, he actually notes that all the sand heaped around the firing area will have been turned to glass. Presumably passing briefly through a stage of being really soft sandstone...

The "no movement = no horsepower" point would be valid, if we were thinking purely in terms of the metal part of the rocket as a whole, as if it were an electric motor or petrol engine. If they don't turn, then regardless of the internal forces, they are generating no motive power (though there's probably plenty of thermal power being dissipated, which is not really the same thing, but one can be converted into the other and is measured using the same units).

However in this case, there IS stuff moving. The rocket exhaust. The rocket motor has no moving parts other than its outer shell, the burning rocket fuel, and the exhaust. It is propelled into the sky by the newtonian laws of thermodynamics, the burning fuel exerting force in all directions but only having one escape route. So it shoots out the bottom, and pushes the rocket upwards (at a much lower speed, at least at first, as it is heavy; but eventually much faster as the drag forces on the rocket are much lower than on the exhaust gas).

Now bring the rocket onto the ground and fasten it very securely to the landscape, then light it. It does not move, but the exhaust gas still does. It shoots out the back the same as before, but the portion of it's exerted force that would otherwise have gone into moving the rocket along is instead donated to its own momentum. So it blasts out the back slightly faster than it otherwise might have done, with an instantaneous dissipated power of almost 30 million watts... of which an unknown amount is heat, and light, and noise...

If you put your bike on a dyno, the body of the machine doesn't go anywhere, but the engine is still generating and using power (the pistons are going up and down, the crank and cam are spinning, air is being pumped in and exhaust is being pumped out), which is being transmitted to the wheel (gearbox input, output shafts, final reduction, chain and sprockets in motion), and that wheel is producing a certain amount of power in order to spin the roller against the drag of the dynamo (electrical generator) inside the dynamometer.

The engine and transmission through to the wheel are very close analogues, in this case, for the burning rocket fuel. Right down to how the engine will spin the wheel somewhat faster than what is actually attainable on the road, if it is allowed to rev that far.

Also: WHOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA DUUUUUUUDE
Why do we bother with diggers, TNT and borers when we could just mine for things or cut tunnels in mere minutes by this method?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1