Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

chain tensioning on side stand

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cheerfulgrin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:50 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: chain tensioning on side stand Reply with quote

is it possible to adjust the chain on my bike whilst its on the side stand or do i need to get a paddock stand?

the owners manual says jack it up or put it on a block then loosen the rear axle.

any advice would be appreciated, as i dont have a paddock stand or jack, cant see where i could lift the bike on one either.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not impossible, but could be dangerous as it might be possible to accidentally knock the bike off the side-stand whilst working at the rear..

Ideally, you need to rotate the back wheel a few times whilst making adjustments, to make sure you have no tight spots in the chain, and that the alignment is good.

It's a lot easier with the bike upright, with the rear wheel off the ground - but if available for your model, a permanently fitted centre stand might be an alternative for a paddock stand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it a bunch of times. If the bike leans loads on the side stand you can always stand it up against a wall, or get someone to hold it upright for you.

Cheerfulgrin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:09 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took the plunge and did it, using the marks on the swingarm to make sure its straight and only turning each adjuster a 1/4 turn each alternately.... to be on the safe side.

not easy lubing the chain either, may have to invest in a paddock stand in the long run.

thanks for the advice Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:26 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerfulgrin wrote:
i took the plunge and did it, using the marks on the swingarm to make sure its straight and only turning each adjuster a 1/4 turn each alternately.... to be on the safe side.

Generally advisable to ignore the marks on the swinging arm.

Once the wheel is inline (whether done with a piece of string, a couple of straight edges or some flash laser tool), if you turn each adjuster the same number of flats it will stay in line.

All the best

Keith

Cheerfulgrin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:02 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Once the wheel is inline (whether done with a piece of string, a couple of straight edges or some flash laser tool), if you turn each adjuster the same number of flats it will stay in line.

All the best

Keith

I'd heard the marks werent the most reliable measure, i'll have to check with the string when i can find someone to hold the bike up straight.

thanks

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerfulgrin wrote:
not easy lubing the chain either, may have to invest in a paddock stand in the long run.

Have you considered the Loobman Chain Oiler?

Less than £20 and easy to fit.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerfulgrin wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

All the best

Keith

I'd heard the marks werent the most reliable measure, i'll have to check with the string when i can find someone to hold the bike up straight.

thanks

Awe..... Billy no pals..... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Laughing

If you can get axle stands (at lowest setting) under the rider's foot pegs it can work.
But look at a rear paddock stand (as an investment). You need to lube the chain every month anyway. And they are indispensable for washing the machine (or 'detailing' if you're gay)

Ebay £30 or there-aboots.

https://www.passionauto.co.uk/products/biketek-motorbike-rear-wheel-red-paddock-stand.html

I even did the google-ing fer ye.

R1AL
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:10 - 08 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop round mine for a brew Rob and you can use my paddock stand if you like Wink

Al

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 08 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1AL wrote:

Al

I'd keep an eye on him whilst you service your chain.
He could be lubing something up too...
Shifty

Sako
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught2BCautious wrote:
Cheerfulgrin wrote:

Have you considered the Loobman Chain Oiler?

Less than £20 and easy to fit.

always found any auto chain lube device a bad idea - it causes people to just let crud and crap build up on their chains in the belief that the auto lubing is keeping everything good.

i've always found it important to have a good clean and examination of your chain every few rides to spot any issues.

Cheerfulgrin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:54 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
R1AL wrote:

Al

I'd keep an eye on him whilst you service your chain.
He could be lubing something up too...
Shifty

Ha ha ha Laughing

Cheers Al,
Should defo come over sometime, hope your on the road again soon too.
Won't be Saturday though off to criccieth for fishing, not on the bike! Lol

R1AL
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:06 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you catch something...me and my Dad are going to either Llyn y gors or Vicks in the next few weeks. Lets hope the carp are starting to wake up!

Al

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerfulgrin wrote:

Really?
I just put mine on the centre stand in first so the back wheel starts spinning slowly and drip the lube on the chain

Right?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sako wrote:
always found any auto chain lube device a bad idea - it causes people to just let crud and crap build up on their chains in the belief that the auto lubing is keeping everything good.

i've always found it important to have a good clean and examination of your chain every few rides to spot any issues.

Not necessarily so.
I have two bikes with Scottoilers fitted and I check the chain/s regularly.Every ride (as I do with the tyres). It's always clean and always lubricated.
The idea of having an oiler is to keep it clean and lubed.
There is no system that is fit and forget. It's the reliability of the system that encourages some to forget though. Very Happy

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Cheerfulgrin wrote:

Really?
I just put mine on the centre stand in first so the back wheel starts spinning slowly and drip the lube on the chain

Right?

Shake hands with danger.

How many folk lose fingers/bikes/sheds in this manner.

Paddock stands are much cheaper than unnecessary hassle.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Paddock stands are much cheaper than unnecessary hassle.

If you don't have a centre stand, sure.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1