Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HOW2: Remove & Refit Spark Plugs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:14 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: HOW2: Remove & Refit Spark Plugs Reply with quote

"THAT'S SO SIMPLE!" you say. WHY do you need a Photo-How to for unscrewing a spark plug?!?!"

That's what I thought; & even TEF, who will never give the 'short' version if a 10,000 word essay will suffice, didn't think it was THAT worth mentioning.... BUT, after answering the FAQ "Stripped Spark Plug Hole, What's a Helicoil' umpety hundred times...... he thought it MIGHT actually warrant a mention! Prevention is better than a cure, after all! So!

EXCESSIVE FORCE IS NOT REQUIRED

Socket Sets are your ENEMY! Far to easy to apply far too much force. But, often only tool in the box that will fit a motorbike spark-plug, and burried deep in a casting with double overhead camshafts either side it can sometimes be awkward and the extensions & knuckle joints, can be useful, but be warned, more between your finger tips and spark plug, less 'feel' you have to avoid over tightening or cross threading.

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/engine/imag2532.jpg

Keep the socket as square to the spark plug as possible. Let the socket 'fall' over the plug, grip the wratchet 'losely', and apply a gentle even pressure to the end to start it turning, and hold the centre of the socket over the centre of the spark-plug.

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/engine/imag2533.jpg

As soon as the initial pressure is taken off the plug, STOP using the leverage of the wratchet. Remove it and if you have to use the socket or extension, twist it like a screwdriver, with 'finger force' only, until you feel the plug starting to 'wobble' in its threads.

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/engine/imag2535.jpg

THEN wind the last way out, wherever possible PURELY with your fingers.

Refitting plugs is pretty much the reverse.

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/engine/imag2571.jpg

Putting the plug in; START the plug VERY gently. Avoid just 'dropping' the plug down the spark plug rebate. You do NOT want the electrode on the bottom holding the critical 'electrode gap' to get bashed on the cylinder head and closed up. Engine wont run well if it does. So try and lower it in, preferably with your fingers, and get it central in the hole, before you get metal trouching metal.

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/engine/imag2572.jpg

THEN, again, with your fingers, GENTLY get the spark plug square and twisting into the threads, without cross threading. This high up the hole the plug can 'wobble' a bit, so dont force it, tickle it into the threads.

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/engine/imag2574.jpg

As removal, if you need to use socket and or extension like a screw driver to wind the plug to the bottom of the hole. ONLY when it has bottomed out, do you need to use the wratchet, and THEN only with finger force to just 'nip' the sealing ring between the plug and head.

Again, cradling the wratchet to keep it central over the plug, and using 'just' finger tip pressure on the handle to apply that 'nip'.

Be careful of your spark-plugs and gentle inthier handling, and your cylinder head will thank you by NOT stripping its thread.

If you are clumsy, brutal or lazy, with them? Well, then the liklihood is you will suffer a cross or stripped thread.

If you do, and you are lucky, the thread may merely be cross threaded, and a 'cleaner die' might be used to reform the damaged threads.

If not, then it will proibably require helicoiling; which is a process of drilling out the damaged thread, and cutting a new larger one, the same pitch, and winding in a coil of metal wire to sleeve the thread back to the spark plug size.

If you are very lucky, then this might not need the engine removed from the bike, or necesserily the engine stripping so that the cylinder head can be drilled. But dont bank on it!

And once helicoiled; make the same mistake again, and you can strip the insert AND thread in the cylinder head, and do THAT, and chances are there is probably no cheap or easy fix!

So, prevention is better than the cure, and ALL it takes is a little care and attension.
TheSmiler: binning it is better than going around a roundabout the wrong way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:39 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to quantify that "nip". From finger tight, referr to the following chart for how many degrees to turn the sparkplug when it's a new one out of the box.

Note that if you're refitting an old one, the manufacturers recomment tightening it 1/12 of a turn from finger tight.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=82949

dodgydog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various pieces of rubber pipe, (fuel pipe and the like) can be useful to slip over the end of the spark plug. Very handy for deeply recessed plugs. It gives you much more feel when getting the first few threads turned in.
I have some pieces of pipe made up, with some thin wooden dowel inside the top part of the tube for stiffness.

Dog

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: spark plug removal Reply with quote

Karma hi dudes,

once slack remove and refit by hand. rubber pipe slide onto plug may ( will ) help for plugs buried deep down plug holes.

lub plug thread before and during reffiting but dont bridge the gap with copperlube.

as a matter of interest the bike in the pics ( cb125t ), once the plugs are slack and removable by hand, DO SO as socket will foul on casing and cause thread ( 10,mm plugs from memory ) to STRIP! Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
Right I'm off to fucking kill meyself.

https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/popcorn.gif

Last edited by TheSmiler on 21:30 - 09 Mar 2012; edited 1 time in total

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those "nip" etc, and something easy to strip, it's why a torque wrench is absolutely essential

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I always use torque wrench on plugs, and a smear of copper grease on the threads before fitting - makes a very good earth connection and aids future removal.

Also worth mentioning using an old paint brush or something similar, maybe with a squirt of compressed air, to clear any crap around the hole so it doesn't fall into the combustion chamber before removing the plug in the first place.

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
For those "nip" etc, and something easy to strip, it's why a torque wrench is absolutely essential

I wouldn't go as far as 'essential'. Having changed a gazillion plugs over the years, and never having stripped one yet, I would suggest a torque wrench may be considered 'useful', but no more than that.

I am also interested to know (genuinely) how the socket fouling on the head when removing a plug will strip the threads ? Or even how the socket will foul on the head.. if it went on the plug cleanly, surely it will reverse the procedure without touching anything ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:28 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:

This is of course if they know how to use a torque wrench and can set the right setting.

spark plug torque should be around about 8ft-lb/10nm/1.1kgm(i.e not very much)

and they have a low range torque wrench that might go that low

and don't set something like 11kgm because that's the closest similar number they can find on the big bloody torque wrench that's for doing up cylinder head bolts! Rolling Eyes

Maybe another how 2 on how to use a torque wrench Shocked
TheSmiler: binning it is better than going around a roundabout the wrong way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Drake
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

just no

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of 3 torque wrenches in differing ranges, which is useful.

Swampy, For almost all bike maintenance, I would say that torque wrenches are essential, and worth investing in and learning how to use.

There are a lot of aluminium threads on motorcycles, and threads are easily damaged on these soft metals.

Spark Plugs, Sump Plug, Oil Filters, Sprocket Nut, Axles, sprocket carriers, brake disc bolts.

That's just general maintenance, they're even more important if you want to start replacing engine gaskets, or doing serious repairs.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:17 - 09 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
For almost all bike maintenance, I would say that torque wrenches are essential, and worth investing in and learning how to use.

Very true; but if some-one needs THIS 'How2' to tell them how to undo a spark plug; would YOU lend them YOUR torque wrench?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:

Swampy, For almost all bike maintenance, I would say that torque wrenches are essential, and worth investing in and learning how to use.

There are a lot of aluminium threads on motorcycles, and threads are easily damaged on these soft metals.

Spark Plugs, Sump Plug, Oil Filters, Sprocket Nut, Axles, sprocket carriers, brake disc bolts.

That's just general maintenance, they're even more important if you want to start replacing engine gaskets, or doing serious repairs.

I agree that for some jobs, torque wrenches are an 'essential', I still stand by my point though that 'essential' means 'can not use anything else'. In my view, torque wrenches are not essential for tightening plugs, or for that matter sump plugs or oil filters. They are useful to have, but the job can be done perfectly acceptably without one therefore not essential...

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do a how2 on spark plugs, you'd do well to do one on how to remove the plug from the middle cylinder on a triumph T300 series bike without having to remove engine covers, or indeed the engine itself...

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/tpl/images/304401.jpg

See how the frame covers the hole perfectly with very little clearance underneath, coupled with narrow plug holes that are too narrow for standard spark-plug sockets.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:04 - 10 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgydog wrote:
Various pieces of rubber pipe, (fuel pipe and the like) can be useful to slip over the end of the spark plug. Very handy for deeply recessed plugs. It gives you much more feel when getting the first few threads turned in.
Apart from this snippet I agree with Blue.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: strip plug threads Reply with quote

Karma hi dudes,

if your a beginer and taking the plugs out of a cb125t with the sockets you have it is possible ( more like probable ) to strip the thread as the socket will more than likely foul the head resulting in a stripped thread, the beginer will probably not realise this is happening but happens just the same, so, once slack, remove by hand or use pipe.

always ( always ) start the plug in and turn by hand, as cross thread will be evedent ( and SOFT ), rather than by socket and bar with reduced FEEL.

be made aware........there your threads...........and expensive to fix.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:26 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: strip plug threads Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
as the socket will more than likely foul the head

WHAT around the plug is there for the socket to foul on? There's nothing above it, or overhanging from the rocker cover; nothing to the side & big gaps around 3 sides to the cooling fins?

Get a socket over the plug and twist' spark plug unwinds in thread and goes 'up' inside the socket... or socket comes 'up' with the plug.

The mechanics of your suggestion don't make sense, to us.

While merely repeating the proposition does not offer further enlightenment. Please explain yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: fouling Reply with quote

Karma hi mike,

m of m and c did it with a half inch drive, they ruined the thread as socket fouled head....

i had warned them of this as it happened to me ( realised before any thread buggering issues ) some ions ago........

it can happen on this bike.....

anywho, would you look at the pics about the cam chain valve clearance adjust string, i think the left exhaust spring may be upside down, some better pics and your opinion ( as you are god on here Smile for tigress 's piece of mind and engine....

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: fouling Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Karma hi mike,

m of m and c did it with a half inch drive, they ruined the thread as socket fouled head....
Like Mike, I don't understand that.

Imagine the socket end fitting flush to the head, and the plug being hidden(tucked) inside the socket.. how can anything be fouled when it's all fitting as snug as it should?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: long hair Reply with quote

:karma: i blame my long hair, whats your opinion about tigress valve springs

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:34 - 11 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: fouling Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
m of m and c did it with a half inch drive, they ruined the thread as socket fouled head.....

Sorry still none the wiser... HOW!

bikenut wrote:
i had warned them of this as it happened to me ( realised before any thread buggering issues ) some ions ago........

WHAT! we still don't know what the heck you are on about!

bikenut wrote:
anywho, would you look at the pics about the cam chain valve clearance adjust string, i think the left exhaust spring may be upside down, some better pics and your opinion ( as you are god on here Smile for tigress 's piece of mind and engine....

Err. you didn't actually READ the tappet adjustment thread, did you? Do so. Ought to answer this one for you.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma hi mike,

sods law, if it can happen it will, and did........

whats your opinion of valve springs being upside down, in fact can they be fitted up side down, are they meant to be fitted a particular way.........

i have read tappet adjust string and reacted to the photos.........

Karma respectfully yours.......

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:

I'd like you to show me how to get a torque wrench to the plugs on my GPZ500 without removing the engine from the frame. And even if you could, again I'd be impressed if you found a socket that would fit down the bloody hole.
I actually would, man it's a PITA.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:16 - 12 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomberman wrote:

I'd like you to show me how to get a torque wrench to the plugs on my GPZ500 without removing the engine from the frame. And even if you could, again I'd be impressed if you found a socket that would fit down the bloody hole.
I actually would, man it's a PITA.

Indeed. long-reach box spanner only territory there I'm afraid.

For all those harping on about torque wrenches. You are aware that at these torque settings, even wiping over the threads with oily fingers can mean you are turning it twice as far before the wrench clicks? If you're using grease or oil of any sort on the threads, you shouldn't be going near them with a torque wrench, the numbers are too low and the force applied is too unpredictable.

You wont go wrong with the angular tightening technique I described above, this will tighten it down the same distance regardless of oil on the threads. Half a turn beyond finger-tight if it's new. 1/12th of a turn (30 degrees) if it's being re-used.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2