Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Slash cut exhausts... can someone clear this up?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:02 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Slash cut exhausts... can someone clear this up? Reply with quote

I know people on YouTube talk a load of shit in the comments but I repeatedly see comments on slash cut exhaust videos saying something like, "There's no back pressure and that's bad for the engine" or "It will burn the valves out quicker".

How true is any of that?

I've had a similar very small tip on it for months on end, didn't notice any performance problems.

alextg
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know only 2 strokes required a bit of back pressure to keep them running optimally. I don't think it wil have any effect on a 4t engine, the exhaust is simply designed to direct noxious fumes away from the rider isnt it?

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slash cut really just means the style of the exhaust end ie. cut at an angle not straight, it's what's inside that governs what the exhaust is doing.
A straight through exhaust is a straight through exhaust with next to no back pressure slash cut, megaphone or whatever other style end.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:11 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

alextg wrote:
As far as I know only 2 strokes required a bit of back pressure to keep them running optimally. I don't think it wil have any effect on a 4t engine, the exhaust is simply designed to direct noxious fumes away from the rider isnt it?

So on a litre IL4, it's not really going to do anything?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

alextg wrote:

If that were true, why would there be a big market in performance exhausts for 4Ts?

It isn't just about getting the fumes away from the rider, it's about getting them out of the engine as efficiently and quickly as possible and fitting an open pipe isn't the best way of doing that.

If it was as easy as bolting on a straight through pipe, any monkey could do that and get huge power/torque gains, everywhere in the rev range, but we know that isn't what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alextg
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure entirely mate, it would be best to ask a mechanic or someone with more experience, surely if you've been running it for a while some damage would be evident by now if it was bad?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Slash cut exhausts... can someone clear this up? Reply with quote

ZX Jay wrote:
I know people on YouTube talk a load of shit in the comments but I repeatedly see comments on slash cut exhaust videos saying something like, "There's no back pressure and that's bad for the engine" or "It will burn the valves out quicker".

How true is any of that?

I've had a similar very small tip on it for months on end, didn't notice any performance problems.

As I said in my previous post, a good exhaust will be helping to extract the gases from the engine, by creating pressure points, which actually suck the gases along.

In theory, if you don't get the gas away from the port fast enough, you create a hot spot which could lead to valve/seat damage.

So no, it's not 'a load of shit' but, in practice on a road bike in a relatively standard state of tune, it probably won't make much difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
It isn't just about getting the fumes away from the rider, it's about getting them out of the engine as efficiently and quickly as possible and fitting an open pipe isn't the best way of doing that.

If it was as easy as bolting on a straight through pipe, any monkey could do that and get huge power/torque gains, everywhere in the rev range, but we know that isn't what happens.

And yet probably the most popular modification on this whole forum is to fit an open pipe or as it's more commonly known a race can so yes, every monkey does do that.

HTH Thumbs Up

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Yes it is
Shaft wrote:

Err Confused it's a simple as noise limits, no baffles/packing = ear splitting noise.

As I said slash means no more than the style of the end, got nothing at all to do with back pressure etc, there seems to be confusion with straight throughs which means no baffling or packing.
Straight through exhausts with next to no back pressure are of course totally unsilenced that's why you don't see them (much Shocked ) on the roads. Racers from years ago used to run open pipes until the regs started to use noise limits but all the power is at the top rev range with mini powerbands.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Shaft wrote:

And yet probably the most popular modification on this whole forum is to fit an open pipe or as it's more commonly known a race can so yes, every monkey does do that.

HTH Thumbs Up

The qualifier is the bit I've highlighted.

I wonder how many of those bolt on exhausts, by themselves, produce instant major power and torque increases.

I suspect most of them just sound louder and move the peaks around, giving the illusion of more power; in fact, I wouldn't be very surprised to discover the less sophisticated pipes will take a bit off.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I suspect most of them just sound louder and move the peaks around, giving the illusion of more power; in fact, I wouldn't be very surprised to discover the less sophisticated pipes will take a bit off.

How much less sophisticated can you get than a bit of pipe with some holes in it wrapped with absorbent cloth considering this is all any race can is?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Shaft wrote:

How much less sophisticated can you get than a bit of pipe with some holes in it wrapped with absorbent cloth considering this is all any race can is?

There's lots of companies like Akrapovic and Remus that think there's a bit more to it than that.
Babba This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Slash cut exhausts... can someone clear this up? Reply with quote

ZX Jay wrote:

How true is any of that?

If you didn't adjust the carburation/fuel injection (does it adjust itself?) to suit the difference in backpressure given by an open (or 'more open') exhaust system then yes it could burn out the valves more quickly. Obviously the bike could end up running lean which would cause this.

The back pressure issue does affect things like torque and overall power curves also. Generally an exhaust is tuned to match the engine characteristics and make the most of them, but any design has to sacrifice something to gain somwhere else i.e. 4:1 exhausts tend to give more go at the top end of the rev range while losing a bit of low to mid range torque.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out that the spanny I got for my RXS is an early Micron. Cheers!

It's a 'Condor Power Exhaust' Very Happy
Babba This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:42 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I buy a slash cut and stick it on, best thing to do is get it on a dyno and set the power commander up accordingly?

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Slash cut exhausts... can someone clear this up? Reply with quote

Babba wrote:

I'm led to believe that the best system for a 4cyl 4 stroke is 4:2:1 which lots seem to accomplish in the collector box.

Very probably true. I think the idea is harnessing the pulses and vacuum effect from the other cylinder which has just fired to assist the gases escaping and give a little back pressure assisting torque production.

My Diversion feels notably different with the 4:1 fitted to it than the original 4:2.

Admittedly it lacks balance pipes between the downpipes which would probably have gone some way to add midrange but it does feel a bit peakier at higher revs than the original.

You could probably say a straight 4:1 isnt the best match for the sort of engine you have in a Diversion 900 tuned for midrange torque but it was relatively cheap, entirely one piece (no collector box or seals to sod around with) and stainless so I went for it.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX Jay wrote:
So if I buy a slash cut and stick it on, best thing to do is get it on a dyno and set the power commander up accordingly?

I know nothing about fuel injection but I'd assume yes as with carbed bikes you'd need to adjust the mixture settings to compensate.
I presume the principle is the same unless fuel injection mapping corrects itself when you start changing exhaust back pressure.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 19:12 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
There's lots of companies like Akrapovic and Remus that think there's a bit more to it than that.

So those Akra and Remus straight through race cans must all be fake then? Then again maybe they spend their development money on the pipework. Wink

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 17 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 stroke exhaust design is all about carefully adjusting the acoustics to improve cylinder scavenging. The can is the minor part of the system, provided it isnt unduly restrictive, as lozz says its the plumbing before the can that matters.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:31 - 23 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It isn't the pressure that is important, it is the pressure waves.

Take a very simple single cylinder 4 stroke with a single exhaust. When the exhaust valve opens the exhaust gases rush down the exhaust. When they reach the end of the exhaust a pressure wave bounces back to the cylinder head. At the right revs this arrives back at the exhaust port just in time to bounce back again sucking the next lot of exhaust gas from the engine. Unfortunately the pressure waves move at a pretty much constant speed irrespective of revs, so at other revs the pressure wave arrives just in time to ram the next lot of exhaust gas back into the cylinder head.

Gets a lot more complicated than that with multi cylinder engines where the exhaust headers are joined together to in different orders and at different lengths.

Shaft wrote:

Race can is just a cheap perforated tube inside a larger tube, possibly with some packing material around the perforated tube. Not complicated. The difficult bit with a silencer is to design one that reduces noise without killing the power.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1