BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fuel Gauges.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScotsLass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Fuel Gauges. Reply with quote

I suspect this will either be viewed as a really stupid question, or it has been asked lots of times before I joined here.
However, I am new, so will ask anyway.
When I had my wee Yamaha YBR 125, the one thing I really loved about it, had been the fuel gauge on it. It even seemed to work, even if most of the guys who knew way more than me about bikes kept telling me never to trust the gauge.
Anyway, my ZX6R doesn't have one (doesn't even have a petrol warning light), and I really do miss that on my bike. So far, I've spluttered to a halt a few times now after running into reserve on long runs. It bugs the hell out of me when that happens, and it seems to take me ages to get it started again after lots of turning over on the reserve tank.
So, is there a good reason why most bikes don't have petrol gauges fitted as standard?
Is it just an 'uncool' thing to have on a bike, or is there a more practical reason?
I suppose going round bends, and continual breaking will make a gauge go all over the place, but it surely has to be a good idea to have one as a guide for long runs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill the tank. reset the trip meter to zero.

When you get to 100-120 miles fill up again.

You could work out how many miles you take to go from a full tank to reserve then use that on the trip meter to indicate petrol time.

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbsmirnoff wrote:

You could work out how many miles you take to go from a full tank to reserve then use that on the trip meter to indicate petrol time.

This.

They are notoriously bad them fuel guages. The one on my GPZ went from brimmed tank to dry in under half a mile earlier...how odd.... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ScotsLass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbsmirnoff wrote:

Yes, that is the sensible way to do it, but I still would rather have a gauge as a safety net. I take it gauges are just not a cool thing in biking then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScotsLass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They are notoriously bad them fuel guages. The one on my GPZ went from brimmed tank to dry in under half a mile earlier...how odd.... Laughing

Yep, I kept being told gauges were a waste of space on a bike, but I swear the one on my wee YBR was great. Thumbs Up

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to wait until my ZX hits around 100 miles, then I'll look at stopping somewhere. I've never had to use the reserve, and usually have plenty of fuel even when i go to fill up. No need to risk it when I have plenty of time to fill up Thumbs Up

ScotsLass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

troy1234 wrote:
I tend to wait until my ZX hits around 100 miles, then I'll look at stopping somewhere. I've never had to use the reserve, and usually have plenty of fuel even when i go to fill up. No need to risk it when I have plenty of time to fill up Thumbs Up

Lately I've been playing it safe that way to, and just filling it up more regularly. However, when I'm on a run and really enjoying myself, I just can't be arsed playing it safe and stopping to fill it when I see a petrol station. I'd still rather have the lazy way out with a gauge or light telling me I have to stop...........I know, it is a bad excuse Confused

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

im the same, my sp-1 and ninja only had a warning light and it annoyed me a bit. I never actually fill the tank to the top and normally just chuck a fiver or tenner in so resetting a trip meter would be useless to me.

CBR's have guages though and i believe there the only 600 sports bike to have them and it was actually a contributing factor to why i bought another Laughing. I dont understand why they make bikes without them, there hardly complicated or expensive so seems a bit daft really

ScotsLass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:
im the same, my sp-1 and ninja only had a warning light and it annoyed me a bit. I never actually fill the tank to the top and normally just chuck a fiver or tenner in so resetting a trip meter would be useless to me.

CBR's have guages though and i believe there the only 600 sports bike to have them and it was actually a contributing factor to why i bought another Laughing. I dont understand why they make bikes without them, there hardly complicated or expensive so seems a bit daft really

One of my friend's has a 750 Honda (sorry, can't remember the model), but he had a gauge on his to.
So, the answer is to go get a CBR600 then Very Happy

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a 600 sports bike with a fuel guage, yes

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a dipstick be an option ?

ScotsLass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:

Fuel gauge aside for now, I'm told the CBR600 is a good all rounder, that is a bit more forgiving for the less experienced riders.
However, for me I opted for the ZX6R mainly because it was cheaper, and It also put a big smile on my face when I took it for my first spin.........just could do with a gauge though Smile

ScotsLass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbsmirnoff wrote:
Would a dipstick be an option ?

Ha, yes I suppose, but again it involve me doing more than just looking at a gauge while riding..........I know, I do just want the easy option.
Still, I know now that I can't have one as standard on a 600 unless I go for a CBR.
However, does anyone know why they don't fit one as standard to all bikes?

drew86
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible to fit one yourself?

ScotsLass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

drew86 wrote:
is it possible to fit one yourself?

Yes so I've been told, but are they any good and do the job? Also, I wouldn't want to fit anything to my bike that will look naff and deserve a piss take Sad

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:34 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:

My 1997 CBR600F doesn't have a fuel gauge.

Took some getting used to as my last few bikes all had gauges.
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ericck wrote:
salty21 wrote:

My 1997 CBR600F doesn't have a fuel gauge.

Took some getting used to as my last few bikes all had gauges.

I'm just referring to RR models, never had an older model cbr but would like one as a winter bike.

Reid
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:49 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reserve tap is your safety net - should be easy enough to switch to when the bike starts to splutter a bit, even at motorway speeds.

crackfinder
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:50 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I first got my zx6r I filled the tank and zero'd the trip meter, then rode until it spluttered and I had to switch to reserve, I noted the mileage and now when I get to around that mileage I fill up and zero the trip again.
I had a fazer before the zx6r and it had a fuel guage so it concerned me when the zx didn't have one, but you soon get used to it, I now fill up and reset the trip without even thinking about it.

Mr. Green Thumbs Up

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reid wrote:
The reserve tap is your safety net - should be easy enough to switch to when the bike starts to splutter a bit, even at motorway speeds.

bit annoying (and embarrasing) when it happens mid overtake though as i have found a few times on the superfour.

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reid wrote:

This is true, but its fairly awkward to twist the reserve tap/knob on the zx6r. My knob is quite stiff, so I've tried to avoid fumbling with it while riding.

crackfinder
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:00 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbsmirnoff wrote:

My knob is quite stiff, so I've tried to avoid fumbling with it while riding.

Shocked

mine too Mr. Green Thumbs Up

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbsmirnoff wrote:

This, plus learn to find and use the reserve tap whilst going along when you don't need to, so that when the time comes to use it as you're mid overtake and the bike starts spluttering, you don't flail like a blind chimp looking for faeces to throw.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ScotsLass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reid wrote:

The 'reserve tap' is difficult to get to and turn on the ZX6R, and I've tried to do so when on the move, but I think it is a bit dangerous to do (for me anyway).
I'll get used to it though, because I love everything else about the bike.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 19 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
ajbsmirnoff wrote:

This, plus learn to find and use the reserve tap whilst going along when you don't need to, so that when the time comes to use it as you're mid overtake and the bike starts spluttering, you don't flail like a blind chimp looking for faeces to throw.

Depending on the fuel tap, they can be a right pain in the arse to do on the move.

All the old school taps like this are ideal for switching on the move.

https://www.chris-knight-mcs.co.uk/acatalog/Petrol%20Tap%20with%20position%20plate%2002.JPG

The one on my ZZR can be a right pain to do on the move with gloved hands.

This type is shown below:

https://www.thebikebarnltd.co.uk/ekmps/shops/moesbikebarn/images/fuel-tap-petcock-unit-kawasaki-zzr600-zx600-e5-1997-ninja-dap12-4823-p.jpg

I have switched it plenty of times on the move over the years, but it is something I would recommend avoiding.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3