Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU Brakes!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:57 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU Brakes! Reply with quote

Aaaarrgggggghhhhhhhhh

So, im trying to change my rear brake pads on the SV (famous tokico annoyance ensues).

The pins and rear pads come out perfectly, so I instantly feel like a smug bastard, "this is going to be eaassssay".

To fit the new pads in I need to push the pistons back, as they are double the thickness of the worn ones. But the pistons don't want to budge, after about 30 mins of shouting and pushing with all kinds of fingers, tools and swear words they move a few mm. I have of course taken the top off of the master cyclinder.

So I gave up and started to put the old ones back in as the rain was getting heavier. I noticed that I could quite clearly see the seals poking out from the pistons:

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/photo5.jpg

And to top it off whilst I was wheeling it back down my driveway the rear was sticking making it very hard to move. FFFFFFUUUUU brakes!

So Im thinking its time to strip-rebuild-replace seals.
I need the bike to get to work, is there a quick fix or is rebuilding my only option?

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pop that piston out and clean. Bit of luck your seal is in one pice. Stick it back togeather and use until your new seal kit arrive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:17 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would ejecting the piston require a full system bleed?

totalllama82
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:21 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:

Yes, you would have to bleed the full system.

Sounds like removing the piston, the two seals and cleaning them before putting it back together with red grease is the best way forward. Forcing that piston back in may damage the seals and also cause the pot to stick. It will be twice as bad next time round if you don't.

Last edited by totalllama82 on 13:21 - 15 May 2012; edited 1 time in total

Casper
World Chat Champion

Paris2 wrote:

Yes but if you still have the rubber brake line then crimp it to save some fluid. Back is easy to bleed. Did mine last night and took around 5 mins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

Paris2 wrote:

Yes.

On a single pot rear brake, it is quite simple to do and you could probably do with a fluid change anyway.

The white shit is probably corroded caliper that has formed behind the seal and pushed it outwards. the caliper NEEDS to come off so you can clean out behind the seal, the seal is worthy of replacing though as it is likely shagged. With a bit of luck the caliper itself will be in ok nick.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to ease any worries, having never done it before I rebuilt my cbr front callipers in less than 6 hours including a good cleaning and 2 hours spent visiting local workshops to remove a stuck piston.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:34 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all.

To be honest I have been putting off stripping and rebuilding all three of my calipers for a while, as they all need doing after a hard winter.

I will have to order all the seals and bleeding kit and set aside a day this weekend. Looks like the push bike is coming out for the 10mile trip to work Laughing

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it to tide you over till the weekend, push the piston out a bit (not all the way), clean it, smear some red rubber grease round it then push it back into the caliper with a G clamp.

totalllama82
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:44 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Cheers all.

To be honest I have been putting off stripping and rebuilding all three of my calipers for a while, as they all need doing after a hard winter.

I will have to order all the seals and bleeding kit and set aside a day this weekend. Looks like the push bike is coming out for the 10mile trip to work Laughing

Likewise here I snapped the pad retaining pin in one of my calipers last night - I'm on the train for the next week or so Laughing

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:27 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ill leave the bike alone till I have sorted this, don't want to push my luck with the pistons seizing up and the brake sticking.

Anyone got any recommendations on a brake bleeding kit?

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:

Anyone got any recommendations on a brake bleeding kit?

Just need a tube that will fit over the bleed nipple and something for the brake fluid, like an old coke bottle. You also need lots of patience (from my experience)

HTH
FJ

Mikey3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful with the bleed nipple though might I add.
I know yours has been quite a sufferer to corrosion from this weather we've had, and my first SV, the now streetfighter project one, used to live in a garage.
Thats just to make the point that when we bled the brakes, with a caliper which was in pretty good nick, the nipple snapped in the caliper and ended up needing a whole new one, unless of course, you'd be able to find the man to drill the old one out Shocked.
And this was a bike which was regularly (overly, it's me) cleaned and lived in a garage.
Just be most careful on the re-bleed. Thumbs Up

As for kits, Halfords have 'em, I always look thinking, I could do with one of those, but really all you need to do it is a rubber hose (clear preferably, or a jar, and a syringe; did the Hornet at the weekend Mr. Green )

Mike

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:55 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might give you a call if I get stuck Mike Cool

What diameter tubing do I need, googling seems to bring up mixed results.

Mikey3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
I might give you a call if I get stuck Mike Cool

What diameter tubing do I need, googling seems to bring up mixed results.

Thats cool Thumbs Up .

Erm try 4 mil. Thats what we used to do my carbs at the weekend, and I think we just grabbed some of that and used it for the brakes.
It'd only probably be a bit tight anyway, and a bit tight is better than too big.

Mike

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:14 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool.

Mike, am I crazy planning on cycling to work tomorrow Laughing

Mikey3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Cool Cool.

Mike, am I crazy planning on cycling to work tomorrow Laughing

Yes, yes you are, what time? Would you like a lift?

Mike
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1