Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Front Brake, Light doesnt come on.. Pics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Front Brake, Light doesnt come on.. Pics Reply with quote

Ok so my brake light wont work with teh front brake, but works with the rear brake.

I've taken the tank off, but it's a clusterfuck of wires.. Could someone help me identify where my brake switch is likely to be?

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictures tell us nothing. It looks an old bike, are you sure it has a front switch?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why else would the brake light not work with the front lever only? O.o

the bike is from 2001 if that helps.

it used to work with the front lever, but it's stopped working.

at106
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:22 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said those pictures really dont help. On the front brake lever there will be the front brake switch, with 2 wires coming off of it, follow these two wires until you find the connection into the loom, then you can test the switch using a multi meter, or make up a simple circuit with a bulb.

CarlosCBR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt there a switch under the brake lever bracket? As said it should have two wires coming from it. Most likely just been pulled out somehow.

https://www.facebook.com/carl.simmonds.7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have 2 wires.. (both connected together via a shrink wrap of some sort) coming from the brake lever mounting..

The problem is I can't seem to pull them out even with some force... The little pin on the other side of that, moves in and out freely, Even sprayed it with Electrical Contact cleaner, still to no avail... Must find a multimeter Smile

The wires lead into the headlight, behind the headlight is a clusterfuck of wires and connections for the dash, and headlight.

All of them are just plastic connectors which lead into that main big black shrink wrap pictured along the frame of the bike.

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the two wires that are connected to the front brake switch, buy two new connectors, buy a new brake switch and it will probably be fine.

If you do want to check it, then cut the heatshrink off and follow the wires/colours...

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD, it's inside the aluminium mounting.. I can't get the wires out of the back with some force, and I can't get the pin thing out of the front lol

Tried digging that out with a screw driver.. o.O Just would not come out. seems to be fused inside or something.. didn't want to put excessive force incase I broke it

No idea what I'm looking for, cus of the type of bike it is Sad

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike doesn't have a front brake light connection. It just has it for the rear brake, not sure if that is the case for you?

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it defiently does.. there is a little pin at the lever.. plus it used to make the light come on Razz

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a picture of the area you are on about.

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sir!

The black cable... I can't seem to pull out.

The pin at the front which is let out as you pull the brake lever, I can't seem to get out either... it's mounted in some sort of hard plastic, which is pressed into the aluminium brake lever mounting

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried unscrewing it fella? Thumbs Up

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cable?

Kind of... and not really... Grip with just my fingers doesn't seem to want it to turn... and I don't have any needle nose pliers... I'll give that a shot tomorrow I guess when I find something else that will grip it

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not the wire, the black thing. My brake switch on my Derbi screwed into the brake assembly like yours appears to. It was a bitch to unscrew as well. Grab it with some pliers and try to turn it.

If it wont turn then just crush it cos it aint working anyway Laughing

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the pin... Yeah.. I dont want to break it any further Razz

There is a little lip on the plastic thing thats surrounding the little pin... which goes into a grove on the aluminium mounting, which is for the alignment of it, it seems... I was trying to dig it out earlier to try get the pin thing out.

As for breaking the thing...my MOT is due sometime next month
Won't I fail it, for the front brake not causing the brake light to come on? O.o

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make no sense Laughing

Yes, but your gonna fail with no front brake switch anyway, just try it!

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 15 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try what? Braking the pin? or Twisting it out? lol Razz

Either way, Do you know what I need to look for to purchase? O.o Can you get me a link to something if you know? Smile

For that Pin thing that is
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 16 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:

stop talking bollocks and get on with it

This Thumbs Up

bodger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 16 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try linking the two wires going into the switch with a piece of wire. If the brake light comes on ,the switch is at fault.
If it dosent, power is not getting to the switch and you are going to have to trace the wiring fault

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 16 May 2012    Post subject: brake light Reply with quote

Karma hi dude,

you still having fun??

anywho, trace wires from f/brake light switch to loom in headlamp shell?

note colours of the wires, and where they connect to.

the wires in the loom the wires from the switch connect to, bridge them or tempoarily connect them together, with ign on the brake light should come on.

if so then fault with f/brake light switch and/or its switch wiring.

when youve check this, come back.

note f/brake lever pivot bolt weoll rusted with self locking nut. look under the f/b/ light switch, is there a small grub screw? which holds switch in place? which looks as it will be a right bitch to remove ( even without breaking it ).

a superdream f/b/ l;ight switch may fit youir bike but need dimensions etc. length, diameter, protrusion.

can measure superdream switch if any use. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 16 May 2012    Post subject: Re: brake light Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

note f/brake lever pivot bolt weoll rusted with self locking nut. look under the f/b/ light switch, is there a small grub screw? which holds switch in place? which looks as it will be a right bitch to remove ( even without breaking it ).

I've had another good look around it, I can't see any screws where the little pin is, or around it's general area.

I got a picture of the little lip thing I was talking about, which is nearly ruined..

@Rob
I'm not going the hamfisted route I don't intend on breaking anything just to replace the whole thing.

I don't know what parts I'm looking for, or how much they're going to cost me.. All I'm asking for is advice on where, or what to look for, Your answers in chat were so vague and pretty ignorant after I asked a second question..

Do you not think I've googled these things already? "Hyosung Cruise Front Brake Switch" and come up with naff all information that is useable?

Sure they sell levers and brake lights but not the switches...

https://i.bueni.co.uk/4/68/0816e8d5adc52ccf73833d42871b5b8a_100x75.jpg
That's the best image I can find.. Not very helpful is it?

Either way here is a picture of the lip thing where the pin is
https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/dscf0158.jpg
The black cable on the left, Can't seem to pull out with quite a bit of force (Dont wan't to snap it)

HD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 16 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it out and take it to a local bike shop or motor factors or something.

Have you tried twisting it out. And you aren't going to lose anything by going down the 'hamfisted' route, you can then get a pattern part.

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 16 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not gone to any mechanics yet, The point is I don't have alot of money to throw at a mechanic who will do 10 minutes work and charge for a full hours worth of work.

I need a new front tyre before MOT and to fix this Brake light issue... if I can find out what the problem is myself without spending any money, and in the process try find out what I need to order to fix it, brilliant.

If I can't find what part I'll need, I'll go to the mechanics and say "ok I need this to fix that, do you have it? or can you get it?"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2