Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki RF600 '94 problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Geoffpurnell
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:24 - 23 Apr 2012    Post subject: Suzuki RF600 '94 problem Reply with quote

Hello, just wondering if anyone may have any ideas as to what is wrong with my RF600. I've had the bike for 6 years and had very little problem with it, it has been off the road for the past year and a half and has recently past its MOT after a lot of work to free up the brakes and shocks. The problem is the engine runs perfect when it is cold and first started but after about 5-10 mins it loses power and almost sounds like its chocked. The engine never cuts out or splutters but there is a lack of power and it doesn't sound right. I've cleaned the air filter and it has reasonably new spark plugs. The bike has to be left for a few hours before it cools down to run normally again for 5-10 mins. I travelled about 350 miles with it low on power and it never stopped or had any other problems. Could it be a problem with the carbs? Any ideas much appriciated!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 23 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the valve adjustment and the condition of the needles. IT sounds like it is running rich which is often caused by worn needles on older bikes. If they are worn it would probably be cheaper to just fit a stage one Dynojet or Factory Pro carb kit.

bridlad
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:45 - 23 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

after standing that long the carbs will probably need a good clean out ,and make sure the choke isnt sticing on sounds suspiciously like it to me Thumbs Up

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:46 - 24 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I would check the valve adjustment and the condition of the needles. IT sounds like it is running rich which is often caused by worn needles on older bikes. If they are worn it would probably be cheaper to just fit a stage one Dynojet or Factory Pro carb kit.

I would also inspect the float needles and their seats. New needles and the orings for the seats may be in order.

bodger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 24 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a year and a half laid up the fuel will be no good and need replacing. Also unless you drained the carbs prior to the layup the carbs and jets will need a thorough strip and clean.

Jet Doctor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:26 - 26 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 94 RF600. It just turned 50K miles. I had a similar issue around 25K. How many miles? The emulsion tubes are known for wearing on these bikes and the fuel mixture becomes very rich. Factory Pro sells a nickel plated set for around $130. Solved my problem and increased my mpg.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1