Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old shafts never die...............

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 30 May 2012    Post subject: Old shafts never die............... Reply with quote

........they just attract dodgy paintjobs.

In the words of David Byrne, "You may say to yourself, my god, what have I done?!"

Much as I've enjoyed the Super Dream (a youth relived and all that) I was pretty sure it wasn't enough, probably because, apart from a brief dalliance with Z750 custom, I haven't owned anything smaller than a 900 for over 25 years; this was reinforced by my recent trip to Box Hill, where getting it on a dual carriageway showed how small and painfully slow it really is.

So, the hunt was on for something bigger, but still sensible....ish

First thought was a Kwak GT and there's plenty of them out there, but I'm a tight git that likes cheap insurance and all the really old ones were either total sheds, or immaculately kept pride and joys that went beyond the budget.

Thoughts turned to things like GS550s, CBX750s and I even toyed with a rare and quirky XS500 twin, but I either couldn't get excited about them, or the price wasn't right.

Then this came up; I'd seen it before and thought it was a tad dear, but now it was in a no reserve auction and it wasn't moving, so I steamed in at the last minute and nabbed it.

https://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff426/zedheadchap/P1120632.jpg

https://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff426/zedheadchap/P1120633.jpg

For the uninitiated, it's a 1981 Yamaha XJ650 and it's great!

Pulls like a train, fuss free shaft drive, newish exhaust and shox and came with a full year's ticket.

Things to do include sorting out the speedo, which won't go above 25mph (although the odometer seems to work OK) and the ride, which is harder than a hard thing.

Then there's this:

https://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff426/zedheadchap/P1120634.jpg

Somebody once put a lot of effort into doing this, but now the lacquer is peeling and crazing, plus (sorry mate, if you're reading this and you did it) it's farking hideous!!

I suspect this is what may have been putting people off, but since I work in a bodyshop, it's no big deal; unfortunately, the timing isn't quite right as we're in the process of moving, so I'll probably shoot some matt black or primer over it (I really can't live with it) until we get settled and working properly again.

Then I have a plan which involves either original style stripes, or maybe speed blocks (I've been playing with a few images of LCs, which have very similar shaped panels) over a different and more sparkly dark blue.

Or maybe something completely different......................
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:57 - 30 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its better airbrush work than Keggyhander's Excalibur cruiser...

Still hideous, but less hideous than having Charley Boorman dressed as a camp knight airbrushed on the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:26 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be not as bad as The Excalibur Cruiser, but still isn't my cup of tea!

Wise move to remove it Shaft. Thumbs Up

Other than that, nice machine Very Happy
Previous Ride's - '01 Aprilia SR125 (Sold) '08 HONDA CBF600n (Sold) '96 CB500 (Sold) '01 FZS 1000 (Sold) '06 CB1300SA (Sold) '07 CB600F Hornet (Sold) - '93 Suzuki Savage LS400 (Sold) '98 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm (Sold) '05 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '01 FZS1000 Fazer (Sold) 2016 Harley Davidson Street Bob SE (Sold) '02 Kawasaki ZX9R (Sold) '98 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '04 Suzuki Bandit 1200s (Sold) '13 Yamaha FZ1-N

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you got it for less than half the advertised price, with a years mot. Can't complain at that.

Matt black it.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolol, toad monster

champ paintwork, i'd laugh my ass off constantly and probably keep it that way Laughing
saying that i am 'house numbers guy'

Oddly i've seen a similar scene in dragonball GT, wher ethe toad monster captred a woman from a village and kept making earthquakes with his whiskers, must be some mythology behind it Razz

Then he got wasted https://nick.mtvnimages.com/nicktoons-assets/video/images/dragon-ball-gt/dragon-ball-gt-whisker-power-cart-d-c32.jpg?format=jpeg&matteColor=white

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:46 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That original post's not fair. I'm now trawling interwebnetsurfy thingy (correct technical term) for XJ650s. As if I don't have enough to do Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:12 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Re: Old shafts never die............... Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Laughing
Yeah, it's some decent quality airbrushing, but what in the hell was going on in the mind of the person who had that painted on?

"Yeah, you now what'd be sweet? Like, a massive lizardman dude, like a barbarian, man, carrying off this rad chick, but she's like, unconscious and all. That'd be totally sweet, man."

Stoner + Dungeons & Dragons + Disposable Income = Very Bad Decisions.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like a scene in the original Conan books (reasonably sure those include a lot of lizard monsters)

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
it looks like a scene in the original Conan books (reasonably sure those include a lot of lizard monsters)

Which could be where it came from.

Closer inspection reveals it's a cheat; the background has been laid on (the tree is a stencil that's been fogged over) but the main picture is some kind of pre made transfer/cut out from a magazine, with added airbrush highlights.

Then the whole lot has been buried under the deepest layer of lacquer I've ever seen, it couldn't be thicker if it had been laminated!

twostroketit
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:08 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an XJ650 everyday for work and the occasional ride out.
Excellent machine, it is reliable,comfortable,good on petrol and it will still top 110 despite having 62000 miles on the clock.
You'd better get used to people coming up to you and telling how they used to have one...

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 31 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

twostroketit wrote:
I use an XJ650 everyday for work and the occasional ride out.
Excellent machine, it is reliable,comfortable,good on petrol and it will still top 110 despite having 62000 miles on the clock.
You'd better get used to people coming up to you and telling how they used to have one...

Easy response to that one......"so did I"; this is my second, but the last one was 28 years ago!

I'm surprised to hear you rate the fuel consumption, I don't remember mine being that good and IIRC it was something they were criticised for, when they were new.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1