Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another Chinese 125.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Another Chinese 125. Reply with quote

Went for a mooch around my local dealers and noticed this.
£1500 OTR. Put a hopped up 170cc engine in there and it might be fun?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you class as fun mate.

The handlebars falling off going round a corner could well be exiting!

Failing that the nuts and bolts that hold the wheels in could just simply fall out.

Razz Thumbs Up

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if its anything like my chinese pit bike, whose frame sheared when it was stacked on grass!!.............i'd only buy it to spread on my toast:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TRcQCuP2b5A/SptZl58UXHI/AAAAAAAAHmY/H54BH8NLbjs/s320/butter.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great though. Fair play to the Chinese.

I don't really understand why they haven't got a handle on quality control yet though. When I worked as an engineer at Leeds Uni the best engineering students were by far the Chinese guys. They were superior to the British students both intellectually and in terms of effort put in.
EazyDuz This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:

I don't really understand why they haven't got a handle on quality control yet though. When I worked as an engineer at Leeds Uni the best engineering students were by far the Chinese guys. They were superior to the British students both intellectually and in terms of effort put in.

You win generalisation of the year award.

Not really. I was pretty specific. The Chinese students I worked with at Leeds uni were better than the British ones. There aren't millions of people who fit that criteria. Perhaps a dozen or so Chinese and forty or so from other nationalities, including Brits.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:

Not really. I was pretty specific. The Chinese students I worked with at Leeds uni were better than the British ones. There aren't millions of people who fit that criteria. Perhaps a dozen or so Chinese and forty or so from other nationalities, including Brits.

So a small group of chinese at a uni who work well makes you wonder why every other chinese person doesn't behave exactly the same?

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:

So a small group of chinese at a uni who work well makes you wonder why every other chinese person doesn't behave exactly the same?

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the bit you bolded.

It makes me wonder, yes, because my only reference point for Chinese engineers shows a complete inverse of what the evidence suggests about Chinese engineering. Then again, perhaps the Chinese guys I worked with 8 years ago are the ones now sending up astronauts to rendezvous with their orbital space station rather than knocking out CG clones in a shed.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they copy dream 50, I wanted DOHC engine in it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the remit though. I have sailed on chinese built ships that at a year old are in worse condition than a european/japanese one at 20 years old, but they are built to a price, the cheapest possible.

They wouldn't sell the ships if they cost the same as a Japanese one and it's exactly the same with bikes, look at the thread about the 650. No one (except maybe Sickpup) was even willing to give them the time of day at that price.

At the risk of stereo typing people as well, the chinese marine engineers I have sailed with are very good, but ask them to think 'outside the box' and you are onto a loser. If it isn't in a manual or a proceedure they have trouble.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a good close look at it, the owner is a friend of a friend so he let us wheel it outside into the daylight.
Short of attacking it with a hammer, I have to say that the welds look very neat, all fixings looked well designed and the paint finish was as good as, at least, the Hyosung parked next to it. For the real experience it would need clip-ons and the exhaust is a bit doubtful, but, all in all, it looks.... really GOOD! Jesus, at £1500 you can afford to play around wth it to your hearts content
They ARE learning. Spares backup is, in most cases, as good as any other manufacturer, better than most Italian brands. The basic engines are just that, basic (and cheap). But it would not take a mecahical gradute to shoehorn all sorts of engine in there.
I know its only another window dressed CG clone.... but this one demonstrates a rare sense of humour.
(P.S. WELL DONE SCOTT!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:

It boils down to unit cost for the product & the experience required for QC.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:

I don't really understand why they haven't got a handle on quality control yet though.

As I said on the other thread, some of them have.

There are a couple of makes now that have been around for a good few years and whose products are comparable to the japs/italians in terms of quality.

The biggest problem is that at the moment there are too many manufacturers trying to flood the market and vying to undercut each other. In that kind of market costs are going to be cut and quality is going to suffer.

A lot of them aren't going to survive, because their product really isn't up to the job no matter how cheap it is. Some of them are now starting to realise that they cannot just churn out cheap shit in the long term and are focussing more on quality and reputation. Their prices are higher but they are starting to move ahead of the competition. Give it a few years and you will have maybe half-a-dozen reasonably-priced brands that provide reasonable-quality bikes I think.

Nai
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that gets me about the Chinese, they are the only ones doing retro looking 125's.

This along with the Sinnis Trackstar and the CPI sprint... How come the Japs or Brits dont like the retro look? Just seems like an untapped market.

*The Sprint still looks like its made of cheese, but the wee green green Sinnis Trackstar... Still quite like that... Smile *

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/02sinnis-trackstar.jpg

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/cpi_sprint_125.jpg

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appeares to me that the Chinese have come up with another way to serve up the CG 125 clone.
That said, I do like the look of that particular one Thumbs Up .

I wish they (the Chinese bike makers) could get a different engine to clone to give us some more variety.
What about a 175/185 twin after all Honda have had a few good ones of thoses Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:12 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:

It boils down to unit cost for the product & the experience required for QC.

Indeed - we look at Hysoung (ok, not Chinese but not far off) and when they try and make something close but arguably not as good as the Suzukis they copied it costs similar or more.

It turns out that you it is a case of "getting what you pay for" - even when you copy most of the important stuff, you still can't make it much cheaper if you end getting near the quality.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be the home page of this bike.
https://www.skyteammotorcycles.com/motorcycle-range/ace125/

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I also add, well done CAL!!!!!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:00 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nai wrote:
The thing that gets me about the Chinese, they are the only ones doing retro looking 125's.

https://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/RV/RV125-VanVan/2003_RV125-VanVan_yell2_500.jpg
Not the only; but you've got to remember that if we're talking a quality product, you're easily talking twice the price - and the people with that sort of cash to splash may be less likely to want to spend it on an old-looking bike.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
It appeares to me that the Chinese have come up with another way to serve up the CG 125 clone.
That said, I do like the look of that particular one Thumbs Up .

I wish they (the Chinese bike makers) could get a different engine to clone to give us some more variety.
What about a 175/185 twin after all Honda have had a few good ones of thoses Thumbs Up

There is a 250 engined bike in their range so, fingers crossed, they could actually knock out a 250 version of the Ace if they wanted.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm? now you mention it, I seem to have seen a few Chinese 250`s on Fleece-Bay?

Nai
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="G"]
Nai wrote:

Not the only; but you've got to remember that if we're talking a quality product, you're easily talking twice the price - and the people with that sort of cash to splash may be less likely to want to spend it on an old-looking bike.

That thing surpasses looks above function with that infernally small petrol tank.

Agree with what you say after, but still, just seems odd there isnt more of a chase on the retro market. Scooters have Vespa, motorbikes have Triumph and Norton, but barely anything for the low CC market.

Last edited by Nai on 15:55 - 17 Jun 2012; edited 1 time in total

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 17 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look nice. Shame the engine's so ordinary though.

I do rather like the look of the 250 vanvan copy on the Skyteam website.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1