Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Victory Hammer - worst quality ever?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:27 - 24 Jun 2012    Post subject: Victory Hammer - worst quality ever? Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER
I was not asked to start this thread by the bike's owner. I have no connection with him, had never met him before seeing the bike, spoke with him only briefly at the time and have had no contact with him since, other than via our respective posts here. I have no connection with any other motorcycle brand, dealer, or anyone in the motorcycle trade.

These pictures document a bike that was being used for its intended purpose in a public place - at a motorcycle ride out, where one might expect to find motorcycles. The owner made no attempt to draw attention to it, but it did attract attention and questions from many people, both for its good looks from a distance, and then its condition when seen up close.

Any suggestion that it's somehow wrong or malicious for motorcycle riders to see, photograph and comment on a motorcycle in a public place, with or without the permission of the owner, manufacturer or any other party, would be contemptible and beyond ridiculous.

The original post contained an erroneous claim, since corrected, that the bike had done dry miles only. That was my error and mine alone. I misheard or misrecollected, as people will do. It should be obvious that if any malice were intended by the owner then he would claim dry miles only. No such claim is being made - indeed, he has made the point that the bike has been ridden in all weathers in the locale where it was sold as he was assured that it could be.

I believe that the reported age and mileage are correct, and the condition speaks for itself, and will continue to do so unless and until the vehicle is sorted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was vaguely aware of Victory motorcycles, a premium Yank brand that aims to make Harley Davidson look like it's running a pile-'em-high-sell-'em-cheap marque.

Today I had the opportunity to see one in the metal. From 10 yards it looked properly nice, really purposeful, with minimal homofag. It was around a year old, had done fewer than 6000 miles, and its owner swore he washed it religiously.

Ready for this?

https://i47.tinypic.com/153r9kn.jpg
https://i45.tinypic.com/r70k7o.jpg
https://i47.tinypic.com/6p3gxv.jpg
https://i45.tinypic.com/1tq8sy.jpg

My 3 year old all-weathers Chinese 125 lasted better than that. The pictures don't really do it justice, it was in a shocking state. Flaking paint/powdercoat, corrosion setting in, bubbling under the £800 (eight. hundred. pounds) headlight.

I was told that the local dealer didn't want to know, and that the warranty didn't cover "cosmetics". I was further told that Victory UK's position is that it should have been pressure washed with hot water after every ride then cleaned with a bucket and sponge. Shocked

I'm just at a loss for words. That's £14,000 worth of bike falling apart before the guy's eyes and he's apparently being treated worse than some bike-in-a-box punter. He reckoned it's made in China then shipped to the US where they slap a "Made in the USA" sticker on it and another 0 on the end of the price. Hard to believe, but... look at it.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 10:17 - 09 Aug 2012; edited 3 times in total
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 24 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's shameful.

I'll stick with my ridden-in-all-weathers Yam.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 24 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Victory Hammer - worst quality ever? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Victory UK's position is that it should have been pressure washed with hot water after every ride then cleaned with a bucket and sponge. Shocked

I wouldn't want to stick a pressure washer anywhere near that, it would strip of the remaining coating in seconds Shocked

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:59 - 24 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely shocking!!! Shocked

I really wouldn't have expected that on anything other than a Chinese machine.

And dry miles only!!???

Can't believe Victory UK are basically saying that it is acceptable. Shame on them.

Thanks for making us aware of this.
Previous Ride's - '01 Aprilia SR125 (Sold) '08 HONDA CBF600n (Sold) '96 CB500 (Sold) '01 FZS 1000 (Sold) '06 CB1300SA (Sold) '07 CB600F Hornet (Sold) - '93 Suzuki Savage LS400 (Sold) '98 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm (Sold) '05 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '01 FZS1000 Fazer (Sold) 2016 Harley Davidson Street Bob SE (Sold) '02 Kawasaki ZX9R (Sold) '98 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '04 Suzuki Bandit 1200s (Sold) '13 Yamaha FZ1-N

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 24 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I was reading a review of one of these a few days ago.

https://img17.imageshack.us/img17/504/sdc10889u.jpg

They actually quite liked the bike but said there were 'issues' with the quality control. Now considering that the bike mags do not like upsetting their advertisers, and seeing the pictures roger posted, I wdo wonder if Victorys QC is rather patchy for what are very expensive bikes.

Pity, as I quite fancy one of these in a horribly perverted looks like an old american car way Embarassed

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a cruiser fan I think all Victory's bikes are bloody awful.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

They actually quite liked the bike but said there were 'issues' with the quality control. Now considering that the bike mags do not like upsetting their advertisers, and seeing the pictures roger posted, I wdo wonder if Victorys QC is rather patchy for what are very expensive bikes.

Pity, as I quite fancy one of these in a horribly perverted looks like an old american car way Embarassed

That is one ugly machine!

Mark

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:54 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

That is one ugly machine!

Mark

It does look rather like the result of a crash involving a Busa and a B-King and the mechanic getting the bits mixed up trying to put something back together, doesn't it.....

Then giving up and trying to do a flame-paint cover up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:56 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Victory Hammer - worst quality ever? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Victory UK's position is that it should have been pressure washed with hot water after every ride then cleaned with a bucket and sponge. Shocked

I wouldn't want to stick a pressure washer anywhere near that, it would strip of the remaining coating in seconds Shocked

Oh, sure, the chap said that the manual even said not to pressure wash it - for pretty obvious reasons.

I wasn't the only person present to suggest that he park it up outside the dealer for a few hours every weekend as an advert of what to expect, until they sort it out properly.

I guess the key to selling Chinese-made bikes is simply to slap on a plausible sounding brand sticker, brass neck it, and ramp the price way, way up.

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was he actually pressure washing it? Victory's advice seems to go against common sense when it comes to engine casings that are painted that way.

Still, although it looks like it's covered in road salt or something from those pictures, paint flaking off bits like the luggage rail is unacceptable no matter how it's being washed. Thumbs Down for victory on that one and being so unhelpful.

*bah, beaten to it Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Victory Hammer - worst quality ever? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I guess the key to selling Chinese-made bikes is simply to slap on a plausible sounding brand sticker, brass neck it, and ramp the price way, way up.

Are you serious here, are they actually chinese built?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:00 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Victory Hammer - worst quality ever? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
minimal homofag

Yea, right.

Rogerborg wrote:
owner swore he washed it religiously.

So he put the most common corrosive in the world all over it and actually expected it to last Question.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:42 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
Was he actually pressure washing it?

Said no, I have no grounds for believing otherwise considering he knew that the advice to do so was tosh.

Seb wrote:
Still, although it looks like it's covered in road salt or something from those pictures, paint flaking off bits like the luggage rail is unacceptable no matter how it's being washed.

Said it was dry miles CORRECTION: this was my misrecollection - the bike was ridden in all weathers, in the locale where it was sold, but was washed down after every ride.

There was corrosion quite high up as well. It was corroding around the fuel filler (which I saw) and reportedly around the mirrors (which he'd just replaced).

Polarbear wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Are you serious here, are they actually chinese built?

I'm repeating what the owner said: it's a kit-of-parts from China that's bolted together by Yanks. You'd have to ask Victory for an official denial.

G wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
minimal homofag

Yea, right.

Minimal, not zero. Razz

G wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
owner swore he washed it religiously.

So he put the most common corrosive in the world all over it and actually expected it to last Question.

Mmm, some license is used in this retelling. I believe his description was "carefully".

He didn't come across as mental - more distraught. Some of the corrosion - around the filler, in the spark plug recesses - might have been helped along by moisture, but this is a bike being sold on the West coast of Jockland. If it can't take a dose of dihydrogen monoxide, it's not fit for purpose.

OK, maybe the guy was a mug to expect more from a Yank tank, but it's not unreasonable to expect any £14,000 bike to last better than that, for more than a year, in the market where it's being sold.

Oh, must remember to bookmark this thread for the next time someone trots out "You get what you pay for." Wink

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:19 - 07 Aug 2012; edited 2 times in total

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

keggyhander wrote:
As a cruiser fan with 0 taste who let stevie wonder loose with an airbrush on my bike, I think all Victory's bikes are bloody awful.

EFA

Tenko
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:12 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame - I quite like that lime green one they used to do (Haven't got a pic but I'm sure somebody else can oblige).
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:57 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overheard: "Oh, an underslung caliper! Everyone else stopped doing them in the 1970s and 80s, because they're utter shit." Wink

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
keggyhander wrote:
As a cruiser fan with 0 taste who let stevie wonder loose with an airbrush on my bike, I think all Victory's bikes are bloody awful.

EFA

From that little outburst, one can only draw the conclusion that my thinking victories are awful offends you in some way. That being highly unlikely, the next logical step would be that you are a bandwagon-jumping shithouse.

Which is it?

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
not unreasonable to expect any £14,000 bike to last better than that

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find your disliking of victory's, a little odd given your unique erm "style"

Last edited by duhawkz on 20:00 - 25 Jun 2012; edited 1 time in total

U_W v2.0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

no kidding, a mudgaurd that low really is pointless, if i had one it'd be the first thing i did, adjust where it sat.

on a side note, its a really stupid idea to wash a bike prior to selling and even more stupid to buy a washed bike as it hides any leaks by washing away the marks.

like you shouldnt buy a car who's owner has washed the engine.

meh

Chris750
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:57 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who has one of these.

They have had it two years and use it in the wet.

It's absolutely immaculate.

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:55 - 25 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

begs the question, why spend £14k on a new bike when you could spend £1k on an older Yammy/Suzuki/Honda that wont turn into a rusty bag 'o wank if left outside for a bit
shocked at the quality of that. for that kinda money it should be spot on
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3