Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you deal with full time work?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:41 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy work and realise its hard to live with no job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatpies
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I don't like my work either (Self employed director of my own Ltd company). I do it because I simply took too much BS from my old bosses.

Also I do it to build up a nest egg for when I can no longer work.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now got this stuck in my head Neutral

Yes, it's worksafe:

CLICKY

miss.metallica
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:01 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been asking myself the same question lately. Im stuck in a job i hate, doing 10.5 hours a night, that my trade qualification is wasted on. Its boring, repetitive & cant wait to get something better again. Came very close to just packing it in, but I just remind myself i'd be worse off, & that I do have things to pay for & try to enjoy spending the money when the week is finally over. Though ive found myself less happy spending the most wage ive ever had, compared to a job I actually liked for half the wage.
I used to work at a place I loved, the people were awesome, the job itself was just what I wanted to be doing & although I was on a shitty apprentice wage I didn't care, because I was very happy. Now, I hate this place, the people are all backstabbers & im completeley miserable.
Also, that ive been brought up in that if you want something, you work for it. Theres plenty of people my age that I know who have done jack sh!t & had mommy & daddy pay for their flash cars or whatever. I hate that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to do 12-13 hr shifts with people who are brain dead, unable to use the skills I have or the experience, feel dragged down by the lowest life forms.
Not long ago I wouldn't have even scraped them off my shoe, now I have to interact with them, listen to their goings on, how they will rule the world, how they are going to show it to the man.
But my kids need a roof and I need to eat, so at the moment I have to bend over and lube up.

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a job where I manage my own time, (not the best paid though - would make it a little nicer)

Now I have less time than ever, plus looking after children a lot of the time 'me' or 'me and the missus's' time is not much at all.

The 8 hour day used to be ok, would find myself losing sanity slowly, but at least after 2pm I could do what I want.

I like what I do, but if I could I would do it a lot less, if I won the lotto I would still work, just not anywhere near as much.

Roger has a point that we should all put in, although as time goes by things get a bit messy, a lot of what we have/do nowadays is unnecessary, which then forces everyone else into doing more, if we all just had enough for a basic lifestyle everyone could do less - however this is hard to do in a modern society, the world may not owe us a living, but flip it over and we are expected to contribute but theres no law of nature that says we have to, or want to be included in the contribution to excess, we just are.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with work. In fact I would work for as many hours as you want along as the money's good and I enjoy it. Currently I'm on 37 hrs a week with no overtime but the money is still good.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I got holidays i'd probably bitch less

I'm officially bank staff so get no annual leave entitlement, 21 days paid leave in a year would definitely sweeten the deal
My jobs by no means terrible, i've got it easy, sit on my arse on BCF when it's quiet

It's just a griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind

Gotta focus on the positives and advancement and experience I guess, I may be a lowly receptionist now, but eventually I might be a PA then a middle management cunt

That's where i'm going with it, i guess
My mood is a yo-yo Cool

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

I'm officially bank staff so get no annual leave entitlement

I thought ALL employees get a statutory 5.6 weeks (28 days) if they work full time, and pro-rata if they work less than 5 days a week?

The only people excluded from that are self-employed.

Thats my understanding anyway, so how do you not get annual leave?

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

I'm officially bank staff so get no annual leave entitlement

I thought ALL employees get a statutory 5.6 weeks (28 days) if they work full time, and pro-rata if they work less than 5 days a week?

Because it's in the terms of my contract, i'm like a mercenary admin that they're supposed to get me in when they need me

But instead i've been working in the same place for the past year as they can't hire any staff due to the NHS being restructured and effectively sold off to "Serco" allegedly, not sure who they are though

People are being made redundant everywhere too, dropping like flies

NHS IS SAFE RIGHT DAVID CAMERON? Rolling Eyes
I can't find the leiceter one now i'm not at work but https://www.sglos-pct.nhs.uk/humanresources/policy-procedure-for-employment-bank-staff.pdf is similar, have a nice read Wink
I get an extra 10p an hour Rolling Eyes

Actually reading it it's confusing regarding annual leave, my actual contract is far more clear cut :j

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the WTD

There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are that:
you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave - 28 days for someone working five days a week (capped at a statutory maximum of 28 days for all working patterns)

I've worked full time for a year now and had none, surely my contract is actually illegal as such Razz

Gonna read into it more and maybe bring it up to my employer
See you down the job centre Thumbs Up

None of these apply to me https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10034642

Meh, I accepted the contract so i've always been well aware, I would jsut rather get paid leave.

Yesterday we were mopping up someone's piss, and today someone shit in the middle of the floor in the toilet

I deserve a break D;

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Hi guys

How do you deal with working day in day out?

You get used to it. Once your spirit is broken, you'll find it a lot easier.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took a second job to cover the day off

i now get one day off every two weeks

mtfu enjoy the money and stop winging

at least you have a job

alexknight200...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:34 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Education Reply with quote

No one has mentioned education???? Confused

If your in a grind and don't enjoy your job, you have a few options, none are easy though, as you will find in life.

1. Go to night school as well as do your job with the aim being to broaden your job options.

2. Work 2 jobs or work twice as hard and get into management ( it is easier to delegate than actually do, but you need the right skill set).

3. Leach off the rest of us and then whinge that us workers have x y and z and you don't. (Oh wait it's the other way round).

spaz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Despite what three or four generations of British have been inculcated to believe, there's no law of nature that says that world owes us a living, ever.

Most of the population of the planet understand that, and always have. We are simply breathtakingly spoiled in modern Europe. "Why should I work?" is a first world problem.

In essence, the welfare state has allowed and indeed encouraged many people to remain dependent all their lives, and the rest of us look at them waddling around in their tracksuits and bling and say "Heyyyy, wait a minute, why am I busting my nuts?"

The answer is really just this: it's the difference between being an adult, and remaining a child.

So man up and put in rather than taking out. Take personal responsibility for making one thing better today, and I guarantee that your balls will grow two sizes.

I understand this and have always worked from leaving school at 16, more or less

It's not that I think anyone owes me anything, I just really really want to escape the grind, or at least do something I enjoy doing

My jobs not bad, I'm living with my parents again though, probably where all the stress comes from, I think i'd take a lot more satisfaction in coming back to my house, dumping my shit wherever I feel like it and chilling at my own expense

Even if it does leave me with hardly any play-dough

If you feel your life has no challenges, you might well consider applying for the military.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Ben-B wrote:

Because it's in the terms of my contract, i'm like a mercenary admin that they're supposed to get me in when they need me

But instead i've been working in the same place for the past year as they can't hire any staff due to the NHS being restructured and effectively sold off to "Serco" allegedly, not sure who they are though

People are being made redundant everywhere too, dropping like flies

NHS IS SAFE RIGHT DAVID CAMERON? Rolling Eyes
I can't find the leiceter one now i'm not at work but https://www.sglos-pct.nhs.uk/humanresources/policy-procedure-for-employment-bank-staff.pdf is similar, have a nice read Wink
I get an extra 10p an hour Rolling Eyes

Actually reading it it's confusing regarding annual leave, my actual contract is far more clear cut :j

"In addition to payment for the hourly spot rate, annual leave will also be paid in line with the Working Time Directive and will be ‘rolled up’ within the hourly rate. It will be the member of staff’s responsibility to ensure that they take the equivalent Working Time Directive annual leave each year (5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009 inclusive of bank holidays) as the additional percentage is paid for this purpose."

Basically, you get paid your holiday pay in your normal hours, its up to you to then take time off as you see fit

Since it says you can take or leave a job and you only get paid for the hours you do work, you can take as much time off as you like, but you only get paid pro-rata holiday pay, included with your wages

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

Become your own boss. Work as much or as little as you like. Be Awesome.

Bear in mind that if you dont do any work you are fucked!

I love my job, it is awesome.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:18 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Education Reply with quote

alexknight2000 wrote:

2. Work 2 jobs or work twice as hard and get into management ( it is easier to delegate than actually do, but you need the right skill set).

3. Leach off the rest of us and then whinge that us workers have x y and z and you don't. (Oh wait it's the other way round).

Trouble is there are loads are dire managers around, and they are the ones making life harder for those who are actually doing something. If someone has the people skills and organisational skills to be a manager then they are a help and will hopefully get into management, but encouraging someone with unknown skills to head this way is something that doesn't appeal.

As to point 3, not sure if you are still talking about managers.

All the best

Keith

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Hi guys

I know you'll probably lol as there will be those of you who have worked fulltime for the last 20+ years but fuck

I've been on the grind only 2 years and I still don't get how people can bare it, we spend more time working than enjoying life, we get one day a week where we can get a decent night sleep and stay up as late as we want without having to worry about waking up early (saturdays)

How do you people not go insane?
I by no means live to work and only really work to live, I need the money, would anyone really work if they didn't have to? I'd much rather focus on things I enjoy doing, however time-wasting they may seem

Dunno, maybe there are people out there doing what they love and are super happy in what they're doing
My job is by no means bad, it's the best i've had thus far as it's dealing with people so everyday is slightly different

But shiiiiiiiiit, we're expected to go on like this forever until we die?!

The average day seems to split into 3 parts, 8 hours sleep, 8 hours work, 8 hours free time... It's just not enough
I want to be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

fark boet

I have been working since I was 14. My parents, like me, didnt believe in entitlement so i had to work if I wanted money for normal teenage things. Then army for 5 years, which is work for fark all pay, but they paid my education.

Then if you have kids, you work to provide.

I still found time for myself and bikes

White men have worked and sacrificed for 100 generations. Now be a man and bear up. You will survive and find pleasure.

If you work hard, you will have a business, work less hard and money comes in. Then you reap what you sow. It has always been the white man's burden. Now do your bit and it will work out for you.

Now I am wealthy, work half time, ride my bikes, kids provided for, and more work than I want to do. hard work pays off.

Look at the darkies and see what sitting under a tree all day does for you

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:38 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Self employment plus as much of the work as possible for cashola.

True Hetz - but I only started doing that AFTER I retired - - after 39 years at the grindstone. That said I DID enjoy my job a lot of the time, especially the travel to loads of countries. Regretably it was not a job where you could switch off at 5pm. Often, too often, there were times when work continued at home during the evening.

I often wonder whether I should have had the courage to break out into self employment many years earlier? Things like mortgages, wife, kids etc curtailed such thoughts

Snod

alexknight200...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:43 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Education Reply with quote

Totally agree, too many 'managers' that couldn't manage a brownie pack let alone a business, so the right 'skill set' would be ability to man manage and delegate and get stuck in and know the job inside out etc etc.

Leaches, well that is up to interpretation but my view is it is someone who takes but does not put in.

Kickstart wrote:
alexknight2000 wrote:

Trouble is there are loads are dire managers around, and they are the ones making life harder for those who are actually doing something. If someone has the people skills and organisational skills to be a manager then they are a help and will hopefully get into management, but encouraging someone with unknown skills to head this way is something that doesn't appeal.

As to point 3, not sure if you are still talking about managers.

All the best

Keith

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodvan wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
Self employment plus as much of the work as possible for cashola.

True Hetz - but I only started doing that AFTER I retired - - after 39 years at the grindstone. That said I DID enjoy my job a lot of the time, especially the travel to loads of countries. Regretably it was not a job where you could switch off at 5pm. Often, too often, there were times when work continued at home during the evening.

I often wonder whether I should have had the courage to break out into self employment many years earlier? Things like mortgages, wife, kids etc curtailed such thoughts

Snod

the biggest obstacle to self employment is cash flow. Once your house is paid, transport paid, and your only expenses are for the ex heifer that demands a salary for once spreading her legs, you can take the risk. But if your cash flow demands many payments, your own business is not viable.

Your own business means fluctuating income. Much higher on average, but you must be able to survive the lows.

That means work hard, get the important assets, then when you figure the only one at risk is you, go for it.

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

Become your own boss. Work as much or as little as you like. Be Awesome.

Bear in mind that if you dont do any work you are fucked!

I love my job, it is awesome.

that is what I do. start work at 10, somedays take it easy, but when deadlines are there, I graft.

I do big projects that invoice fees worth at least 6 months salary or more. So it is flexible. But you are right. When work is due, you work harder than an employee

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Kradmelder wrote:

I have been working since I was 14. My parents, like me, didnt believe in entitlement so i had to work if I wanted money for normal teenage things. Then army for 5 years, which is work for fark all pay, but they paid my education.

Then if you have kids, you work to provide.

I still found time for myself and bikes

White men have worked and sacrificed for 100 generations. Now be a man and bear up. You will survive and find pleasure.

If you work hard, you will have a business, work less hard and money comes in. Then you reap what you sow. It has always been the white man's burden. Now do your bit and it will work out for you.

Now I am wealthy, work half time, ride my bikes, kids provided for, and more work than I want to do. hard work pays off.

Look at the darkies and see what sitting under a tree all day does for you

This must be a troll. Warped, you could learn from this man!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12