Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you deal with full time work?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
View previous topic : View next topic  

kotachi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:16 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
kotachi wrote:

So the point is, I don't think I can do one of those 7 til 7 jobs, even if a job in a bank will pay bucketloads - money's only material

You are right not to want it, quality of life is more important

Even though I don't really like my job, but then who does. I'm paid reasonably well, more than most but I know I could earn more. But that would mean commuting to Leeds or Manchester every day. Probably an extra 2 - 3 hours per day.

The best thing I would say about my job is I start at 9 and it's a 10 minutes away, so I leave at 8:45. I see my kids setting off for School every day. I finish at 5:30 and again I am home for 5:40.

Yeah, I'm glad you agree. I forgot to mention that I live an hour and a bit outside of London - to get in at 8.15-8.30 (when I am expected in) I leave home at 7 - and even leaving on the dot of 5 like I usually do I don't get home til 6.30. Sucks.
Suntan Sid said: "Look at it this way, your employer wants to pay you the minimum amount, it thinks it can get away with, and extract from you the maximum amount of graft. Ergo it's your responsibility to ensure that karma is restored and you do as little work as you think you can get away with, for the maximum amount of money."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Graprilia
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:28 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i leave work at 5:30am start at 6 and finish at 16:00pm , the money just about pays the bills , but no energy left to enjoy life or free time and its flying by.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump! Smile

^I found it the same doing a 30mile commute with 12hour days.

I have just fired this off to M&S:

Quote:
Hello,

I recently heard of applications being taken for staff within York branches, wasn't sure exactly which and the site has no options to select that area now so I presume the application quota has reached its limit; I wanted to send my CV across anyway because I have 5/6 years of experience in both warehousing and customer service based roles so think I'd make a great addition to the team and I know M&S is looking to open a store in the not too distant future around half a mile from my home.

If in the meantime further roles are recruited for within my local I would appreciate my details being kept on file, and thank you for reading this email.

Yours,

Steve.
Cool

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:21 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not just a twat, He's an M&S twat Laughing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
He's not just a twat, He's an M&S twat Laughing Wink
I'm now not rating that, just to be a twat. Laughing Wink

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:38 - 21 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing I ever did was change jobs, and work somewhere close to home.
You dont realize how much time you waste commuting.

I still work quite long hours. Monday to Friday, 8:30 - 17:30. And every other Saturday 8:30 - 16:00.

Work is only 0.8 miles from my house though, which can take around 2 minutes on the bike, and maybe 4 minutes (at a push) in the car providing I don't get stuck in all 3 sets of lights.

My previous job was based in Orpington, over an hour each way (on a clear run). That's 10 hours a week, I am traveling to and from work, not getting paid for. That's over a days work every week!

Future prospects - To go self employed. Work whatever hours I like, earn more money.

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:30 - 21 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
Best thing I ever did was change jobs, and work somewhere close to home.
You dont realize how much time you waste commuting.

I still work quite long hours. Monday to Friday, 8:30 - 17:30. And every other Saturday 8:30 - 16:00.

Work is only 0.8 miles from my house though, which can take around 2 minutes on the bike, and maybe 4 minutes (at a push) in the car providing I don't get stuck in all 3 sets of lights.

My previous job was based in Orpington, over an hour each way (on a clear run). That's 10 hours a week, I am traveling to and from work, not getting paid for. That's over a days work every week!

Future prospects - To go self employed. Work whatever hours I like, earn more money.

Ben

Good plan.
That is in effect where I am now. Work my own hours, of course around client needs and work pressures. I only need to meet financial targets to warrant my income, not punch a clock. That means around 25 hrs a week of billable time. I can work from home but don't want to be a total recluse. I go in at 10. It is a nice 11 km ride each way.

I don't get the commuter mentality. Many people here work in johannesburg. That is a 4 hour daily commute standing in traffic. And over R100 per day in fuel, never mind wear and tear on their cage. They claim it pays better but you have extended your day by several hours, leaving before 6 and coming home after 6. The money can't buy that time back. And that time and cost is at your expense, on money you are taxed on.

A man should strive for the career he wants, be his own man and work his own way, and be grateful he was raised with a sound work ethic that gives him pride in his work and ability to support a family on the fruits of his labour. Nothing can be more crushing than to not be working and living off others.

Work is based not on luck but how you have prepared yourself for the market place and the skills you have. Preparing yourself is based on the values and priorities instilled in you by your parents. All the times you were angry because your parents made you do something 'not fun' pay off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 21 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have somewhere to go on about my recent change!

I got offered a job a few days ago and have gone from a quarter of a mile away to 8 miles, but I now get to ride there and back Smile

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 21 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

40-45 hours a week on average. I am on flexi hours but I usually stick to 8am-4:30pm.

I hope to get into jobs where it is 2 weeks on 2 weeks off style. Would much prefer that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12